PDA

View Full Version : Lack of short TAFs and the implications.

jetsun
24th Jan 2009, 08:03
The fact that we no longer have access to short TAFs at most airfields has safety implications.
The good old short TAF used to be updated every 3 hours (i.e. regularly) and was much easier to scan and interperate as there was less bulk in the text.
Now we have to make do with a TAF that is every 6 hours (so if your departure time is close to the end of the six hour period, you are relying on information that can be (and in my experience is) old and innaccurate). Not to mention the arduous task on inclement days (most of the time) of having to sift through a mountain of text (which fills the screen on my mobile phone).

Although this is not a critical threat to flight safety, I would like to know why the powers that be took this, in my view backwards step W.R.T. what was, a perfectly good system.

Spitoon
24th Jan 2009, 08:40
The long long TAF was introduced in response to the ultra long sectors that some aircraft can now operate. The TAF is there to assist flight planning for the arrival phase and for some flights the old TAFs did not cover a long enough time period for this.

Why the short TAF was stopped, I don't know for sure but I would guess because it was seen as unnecessary duplication and workload.

Mungo Man
24th Jan 2009, 10:05
It is not every 6 hours, it is when required, up to a maximum of 6 hours.