View Full Version : Bird Scaring Question

52 North
23rd Jan 2009, 14:39
Hi all,

A couple of questions to assist our airfield ops, any answers much appreciated:

1, Does your airport require ATCO authorisation before commencing bird control duties, if so what method of control requires it?

2, Do you have any instructions stipulating the length of time between bird control duties ending on the airfield and the approval of the next aircraft movement?

Cheers
52N

Sir George Cayley
23rd Jan 2009, 16:57
Just a cupla points.

Birds know no fear, so can't be scared. They do have inbred survival reactions to threats and those common pest species on aerodromes display them as a result of accepted dispersal methods.

Also, birds don't wear watches so they don't know the time of the next movement. If you think dispersing birds/controlling birds can be turned on and off, have a look for the report of the C130 crash in Belgium/Holland.

Bird Control Units must follow the flock or individual at will, so should free range until requiring to access the runway strip. You should see them as friendly forces and give access ahead of traffic.

CAA.co.uk CAP772 is quite useful

Sir George Cayley

Spitoon
23rd Jan 2009, 17:05
Provided the BCU people know what they're doing,I think every airport I've ever had anything to do with has had free ranging for the BCU vehicle except for the runway. Just a check in on the RTF when starting and finishing.

But it does depend on the people knowing what they can and can't do and what to do when faced with an aeroplane.

52 North
23rd Jan 2009, 19:49
Spitoon,

Thanks for the reply.

Is your BCU permitted to fire cartridges or adopt lethal methods without ATC permission?

Thanks for any info
52N

Spitoon
23rd Jan 2009, 20:23
I'm not working on an airport at the moment but my past experience did not include lethal methods, at least not shooting the beggars with a shotgun.

The use of shellcrackers was subject to ATC approval and involved assessment of how close to the runway the crackers would be fired and where the birds were expected to go - and, of course, any aircraft that were about. As mentioned before, all these things need people who know what they're doing.

I've seen shellcrackers used during aircraft movements but only some distance from the runway and after crews have been warned. One airport allowed the BCU to fire shellcrackers in defined areas on their own lookout - just the starting and finishing calls again.

call100
24th Jan 2009, 11:32
We free range when on Bird Control duties. As Wildlife Control (Not just birds bother us) l is a 24 hour operation (No start, No finish) ATC know we are there. We do not require permission to fire pyrotechnics. However, should the need arise to fire in close proximity of landing aircraft then a courtesy call would be given.
Bird Control personnel are all experienced and well trained. In our case it is carried out as part of the duties of the Operations department Airfield Safety Unit. So bird controllers are well versed in all aspects of the Airport operation and if needed can assist in runway inspections etc especially post strike situations.
Should lethal methods need to be used then ATC and other agencies would be informed before commencement.
Different airports seem to operate different routines so I can only comment on ours.
Hope it helps.
:)