PDA

View Full Version : Paperless cockpit

debiassi
23rd Jan 2009, 07:57
Hi there, Im sure this topic wil have been covered a few times but Im just looking for clarification if thats ok.
In this modern age with electronic flightbags, certified gps units with airways, sids and stars etc etc, Is it still a legal requirement to carry paper charts as back up. I always thought it was but cannot find any evidence to support. Of course I believe it is good airmanship to do so from the standpoint that if an electrical problem was encountered, would it be acceptable to request vectors because the electronic chart overlay had gone up the spout? Hope someone can assist.

nascargeek21
16th Feb 2009, 20:02
I'm not sure, but I think that pilots should carry at least the basic stuff on paper in case of a complete electrical failire.

Old Smokey
17th Feb 2009, 15:40
I fly a fairly modern aircraft (B777) with EFBs. At this time we still carry full sets of paper charts during the crew training "crossover".

The B777 has 2 main engine driven generators, 2 backup engine driven generators, 1 APU driven generator, and 1 Ram Air Turbine generator, that's a total of 6 generators.

How many permutations and combinations of electrical failure do you want to consider before lugging around reams of paper? Any one of the 6 generators will do the job.:ok:

Someone will be calling for us to carry a world-wide series of WAC charts next.:ugh:

My lap-top (which I carry on the flight deck) contains the world-wide coverage of all Jeppessen charts, there's option No. 7 for you!:}

Regards,

Old Smokey

Pugilistic Animus
24th Feb 2009, 17:27
OS- you should put in the US sectional charts for good measure:}

PA:)

mutt
25th Feb 2009, 02:54
We are moving towards the EFB on the A320, the process will call for having ALL manuals on the aircraft for a period of about 1 year, then we will seek our local CAA approval to remove them!

Mutt

Left Wing
25th Feb 2009, 04:53
mutt...what airline in ME might that be...also any info on the EFB..Class2-3 ? brand ?.....cheers