PDA

View Full Version : Whats the runway orientation?

FlyingTinCans
22nd Jan 2009, 12:48
Hi Guys,

The other day I was flying from a base which I was not familliar with, the Capt. with me was also in the same position and neither of us knew the runway orientation of some of the nominated diversions and therefore if they were in and forecast to be in limits.

"Just look in the backup AD charts in the crew room" I hear you say, which we did, but as a Professional Pilot ( AKA lazy :ok: ) ive always wondered if there are briefing systems out there that include Rwy's, Avbrief for instance gives AD elev and sunrise/sunset times but not orientations

FTC

springbok449
24th Jan 2009, 06:33
Yes, it does exist, in my company, every Airfield weather we get is preceded by the RWY designators and their length...

Cheers.

Airbus Girl
25th Jan 2009, 19:22
Many airport weather printouts now include runway orientation, which is brilliant. Personally, I have an A4 laminated card which lists all the usual European airports, including useful diversions, and on the list I added (well, the person who made the card in the first place....:E) the length of the runway (eg. 2500m), whether its Cat 3 or not, and the main approaches (eg. ILS24). The airports are listed by country and 4 digit ICAO code.

If you want to save yourself some time though, there is a new book by a Thomson pilot that is called the Airport Orientation Map which pretty much lists the same stuff, albeit in a nice little colour A5 booklet. Profits of the book are going to charity. Its £17 and has nice little map of Europe in there too.

www.maps4pilots.com

bfisk
27th Jan 2009, 13:24
In our personal quick reference card, we have tabulated all common diversion airfields with runway, telephone no and approach and planning minima.

Propellerhead
29th Jan 2009, 11:03
If you go into the FMC and select the airfield on the ARR page it will give a list of runways. The Aerad supplementary book also gives this.

DonaldSam
13th Apr 2009, 07:55
A good site to check within the UK is FLIGHTNAV.CO.UK (http://www.flightnav.co.uk/) They have all/most of the UK airfields so that you can have a look before you head.

:):):)