PDA

View Full Version : BA boss slams Hollywood stars as "gutless cowards"

wooof
8th Nov 2001, 11:54
A novel way to drum up trade, but I can't help but agree with his sentiment-

LONDON, Nov 8 (Reuters) - The chief executive of British Airways Plc (LSE: BAY.L - news) has branded Hollywood's film celebrities "gutless cowards" for being scared to fly since the September 11 attacks on the United States, a British newspaper said on Thursday.
"They want everyone to see their movies and think how big and brave they are. But at the first sign of trouble they cower under their beds like gutless cowards. It's pathetic," BA chief executive Rod Eddington was quoted as saying in the Mirror.

Eddington praised New Yorkers, who he said had started flying again, but attacked U.S. celebrities saying they had "retired to their mansions" when they should be acting as role models encouraging the public to take to the skies again.

Eddington made the outspoken comments as the world's fastest passenger jet, the supersonic Concorde, returned to service on Wednesday.

A number of British personalities, including pop star Sting and broadcaster David Frost, were among those on the first British Airways Concorde flight to New York since an Air France Concorde crashed shortly after takeoff from Paris last year.

Demand for air travel worldwide has plummeted since hijacked airliners crashed into New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon in Washington on September 11, plunging the airline industry into crisis.

Airlines have announced massive job cuts and BA, which earns most of its profits from transatlantic travel, announced on Tuesday that it was losing two million pounds ($2.93 million) a day.

sirwa69
8th Nov 2001, 12:06
Sound sentiments.
What a tremendous loss to the Australian Diplomatic corps Rod was. :D

The Guvnor
8th Nov 2001, 12:07
What rubbish! Eddington knows nothing!
Hollywood stars have singlehandedly won the Battle of Britain, captured the first Enigma machine; repulsed the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor; won the Vietnam War; and defeated the British during the War of Independence.

I know.

I've seen it on the Big Screen! :D :D :D

Rollingthunder
8th Nov 2001, 12:13
He's got a point, flawed as it is. Does anyone actually respect current "Hollywood Stars" as role models?

Maybe, once upon a time in the west, Gary Cooper, Kirk Douglas, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney... but these days?

Lurkio Linepilutt
8th Nov 2001, 12:27
>>Does anyone actually respect current "Hollywood Stars" as role models?<<

What stars??

Gaza
8th Nov 2001, 12:28
Spoken like a true Aussie! :D

I agree with his sentiments 100%. I saw an interview with Samuel L Jackson a few days ago when he was asked if he was apprehensive about flying. He gave the interviewer a funny look and said if anyone tried to hijack a plane he was on he'd smack them!!

One of my business contacts told me that he had to cancel a very important meeting with a very large US corporate as the executives that were due toi come over refused to fly and were sending underlings instead. He refused to accept the substitutes and is now looking for alternative suppliers for a Ģ100 million plus project!

The US economy was in the 5hit before 11/9 but if there execs continue with this sort of behaviour then it can only get worse.

Airbubba
8th Nov 2001, 12:31
Yeah really, with four fatal U.S. hijackings in one day, why should anyone be afraid?

The Guvnor
8th Nov 2001, 12:40
AirBubba - that happened once and the chances of it happening are miniscule.

That's like saying:

* I'll never fly Concorde again, coz it crashed.

* Nor will I fly on any B707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, DC8, DC8, DC10 etc etc as they have all had crashes at some time.

* Nor will I ever go in any car, train, bus etc as they have all had fatal incidents.

* And I'd better not live in a house because of the danger of housefires.

Get the picture? Grow up! :mad: :eek: :mad:

wooof
8th Nov 2001, 12:43
Their reluctance could be nothing more sinister than the likes of Bruce, Sly and Arnie et all now just too busy chasing romantic leads, as their bread and butter day jobs may be a little thin on the ground for a considerable time!

swashplate
8th Nov 2001, 13:03
Couldn't agree more with Mr Eddington if I tried. :cool:

I can't believe that these people get up to $20 million per film anyway... :rolleyes:

Role models....???.....GOD help us.... :eek:

Last time I flew (post 11/9/01) frankly I was more scared of puking than anything else.... :D :D

I wonder how the Captain would restore order among the SLF if there was another hijacking.... :eek:

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: swashplate ]

yaffel1
8th Nov 2001, 13:34
I'm just trying to picture the panic in their PR department afterwards! :D

Got to agree with him, but it's amazing that someone from BA should actually say it. Be honest, whenever FR, U2 etc have a go at BA they're usually absolutely pathetic at responding.

Maybe they'll learn something...

Doubt it.

J-Class
8th Nov 2001, 13:42
If I recall correctly, it was Bruce Willis and Sylvester Stallone who had cancelled trips to Europe "because their children were scared".

It is, of course, absolutely incredible to hear that these Hollywood hard-men are actually total pussies. Next you'll be telling me that half the romantic leading men in Hollywood are gay!!!

Roobarb
8th Nov 2001, 14:17
Having watched Rod and others on various programmes on telly yesterday, I have to say that for once I was encouraged. That and other news suggests that his patience with Pink and Fluffy plc is at an end, and he’s finally going to kick some butt.

I admire plain speaking and no bullĢ$%t, so seeing my CEO saying what we all feel is excellent news. Please God this isn’t a false dawn. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/ozmate2.gif

http://www.sausages.demon.co.uk/ian/classic/thumbs/roobarb.gif

Porky Speedpig
8th Nov 2001, 15:07
Top bloke - well done Rod. And well done New Yorkers - most flights now full whilst the rest of the US stays at home.

Captain Airclues
8th Nov 2001, 15:40
Well said Porky. Having visited New York several times since 9/11, the spirit, and resilience of the people has to be seen to be believed. The loads on the JFK flights have recovered beyond all expectations, and the future bookings are strong in all classes. Let's hope the other US cities follow their example.

Airclues

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Captain Airclues ]

newswatcher
8th Nov 2001, 17:21
...and in order to encourage their premium passengers to fly again, BA has raised business class fares by up to 10%, and some Concorde fares by 20%.

Guess that should do it!

s.lindburgh
8th Nov 2001, 17:31
Suspect the BA IFE department might be struggling a bit......Good job Homer, Marje et al are only cartoon characters ;)
Well said Rod

Lou Scannon
8th Nov 2001, 19:03
I've had a sneaking respect for this Australian ever since I heard where he took a
Very Senior BAA man for a business lunch...Harry Ramsden's in Terminal 3!

As to his remarks about the recently outed wimps Bruce, Sly and Arnie, well said Rod!I only hope that these "big girls blouses" get the publicity that they deserve.

Captain Slack-Bladder
8th Nov 2001, 19:26
Anyone who believes what's written in the Mirror has never experienced map-shift.

We all agree with the sentiments, but I'm sure he never said it.

Heliport
8th Nov 2001, 20:36
Hope he did say it, because it's 100% true.
Their attitude is pathetic and unpatriotic.
:mad:

TwinAisle
8th Nov 2001, 20:56
Unfortunately, according to the BBC News site, he has retracted his comments, using the old "PR Department Disaster Standby" of being quoted out of context.

BBC News Site - Rod Backs Down (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/showbiz/newsid_1644000/1644620.stm)

A pity in my book. I thought he was pretty spot on. Presumably Mssrs Stallone and Willis will not be taking any risks from now on, so we can look forward to "Lie Hard 4 -One Man's Day in Bed" and "Rocky does the Dusting".

Gaza
8th Nov 2001, 21:10
Guess Piers Morgan has just has his last freebie flight from BA. What a w8nker!

I can just see it now - Rod has a little friendly banter with some passengers:-

Morgan - "Where were all the Hollywood hardmen on 11/9?"

Rod - "Yeah, they want everyone to see their movies and think how big and brave they are"

Morgan - "Agreed. They like to put forward an image that they can save the world even in real life!"

Both - Laughing

Rod - "Yeah, but at the first sign of trouble they cower under their beds like gutless cowards."

Both - Laughter

.....and so on.

Once he gets off the flight the little 5hit Morgan choses to publish their banter "in the public interest" :mad:

CariocaCanuck
8th Nov 2001, 21:37
While I can agree with his sentiments towards the Hollywood personalities....no one though to mention that those guys probably have fractional ownership of biz-jets or outright ownership of their own aircraft in most cases.

With their money...who'd fly commercial airlines...except for the Concorde.

FREDA
8th Nov 2001, 22:04
Iīd also have thought that the like sof Willis and Stallone swan around in Bizjets.

I donīt think itīs the specific fear of Hijackings thatīs got them all hiding under their beds. These people all think the world revolves around them anyway and that the likes of Bed Linen lie awake at night stroking their beards and dreaming of assasinating them.

Nice tact bypass for Rod though.

BAE employee
9th Nov 2001, 00:48
Quote from Baldrick, Blackadder The Third:

"Mr Blackadder says that when the going gets tough, the tough hide under the tabel".

Well, we now know Rod's favourite TV show!

Good on yer mate - they did the same thing in 1990 'cos Saddam had secret police agents on EVERY aeroplane in American colours, didn't you know?

Arkroyal
9th Nov 2001, 01:18
Airbubba

If you paused a second or two, you just might see why those on this side of the pond see it the way we do.......

Warren Point, Caterham, Guildford, Birmingam, Baltic Exchange, Grand Hotel Brighton, Enniskillen, Canary Wharf etc. etc.

Atrocities although smaller in scale to 11/9 (except to those involved), and mostly bankrolled by the other side of the pond.

We've seen it, we've experienced it and we get on with life, and I'm proud to say that NY is following our example. To the rest of America, and to the 'tough guy' role models in particular I say

'If you have a backbone, about time you showed it'

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Arkroyal ]

fionan
9th Nov 2001, 07:17
The only thing that talks in the States is money.If Hollywood "stars" inactions bother anyone then vote with your feet and avoid the usual jingoistic nonsense ( as well as their films).

Viva HARRY POTTER!!

P.S. I bet Richard Harris and Robbie Coltrane will be stateside for that premiere!! ;) ;) ;)

ShotOne
10th Nov 2001, 15:02
Well said, Rod!! (shame he retracted it though)

What a contrast between the pathetic and spineless behaviour of so-called superstars and the courage shown by ordinary Americans who have got on with their (less well-paid)jobs.

Huck
11th Nov 2001, 00:03
Never forget that Sly spent his draft years during Vietnam in Canada, teaching ballet.

No problem with that, except his prediliction for war veteran roles....

bugg smasher
12th Nov 2001, 04:55
I’m not certain Will Shakespeare would agree with some of the sentiments being expressed here, the history of storytelling and its practitioners have a long and distinguished tradition. Hollywood arguably churns out much that is trash, but every once in a while they produce something worth having a look at. I am reminded, for example, of the opening scenes of Private Ryan, a chilling look at the what the common man must endure when our noble leaders have run amok.

If Mr. Eddington did in fact make those remarks, they were ill considered. His intention to shame the celebrities back into the air may have served the wider aviation community, but he has certainly defeated his immediate purposes in that they are unlikely to step aboard a BA aircraft anytime soon. Where the reporter is concerned, that is typical of the sensation-seeking trash that characterizes much of what is published these days. Be careful, Rod, you never know who you’re talking to.

As far as Bruce Willis being a “pussy” is concerned, that is open to debate. He grew up on the streets of the Bronx where many of New York’s finest firefighters and cops hail from. It is also a section of town where an open display of disrespect will likely find your sorry @rse irritatingly dead. I for one, would think twice about calling him that to his face.

SPIT
12th Nov 2001, 05:05
Bugg Smasher
Re your last statement,why do you think this is a PRIVATE FORUM???
But I do wonder how the likes of Mr Willis and Co will explain this one to everybodys satisfaction?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sirwa69
12th Nov 2001, 10:04
Bruce Willis a hard man!! Yeah right, soft southern sh*te.
I would have no problem in telling Willis, his ballet dancing, draft dodging mate, Stone or that other pansy who is lying under his bed at the moment Schwarzenegger. That they are a bunch of craven cowards with yellow streaks a mile wide running down their backs. As for ever taking them seriously in a hard man picture again, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
:mad: :mad: :mad: :D

Arkroyal
12th Nov 2001, 15:10
sirwa,

Why don't you get off that fence and tell us what you really think! :D

Concur.

Just for balance, It's not only American stars who have this trait. Edward Woodward wouldn't travel to NY as he felt it was not safe. At the time he was starring as the rock hard 'Enforcer', set in NY (but filmed in a nice, safe studio in UK). @rse

Edited for balance :confused:

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: Arkroyal ]

Peter L
12th Nov 2001, 16:09
Well done Rod,
I'll never look at the hard men of hollywood the same way again. I think Harry Potter would take them all on and kick there little butt's!!!!
As for New Yorkers they are all Irish or Italian's arn't they???? Would not expect anything less from them then!!!!! Good people.

Pete

ASRAAM
14th Nov 2001, 23:28
Airbubba,

Since the number of deaths in the US caused by firearms, either accidentally or with malice will not take too long to exceed the death toll from Sep 11 perhaps its us europeans who should be frightened to cross the pond.