PDA

View Full Version : Bad Decision

Logitech
21st Jan 2009, 12:28
This is for all of you wondering if you should pay for a TR or not.

I completed an integrated course last July and like everyone else I found it tough to get an interview let alone a job. I did get one though and I passed the interview. I was pleased as I didn't have to go to the bank again and look for a large sum of money for a TR as the company employ a three year bond with a monthly deduction from your salary.
However, here is the problem I knew starting out the a/c type I'd be flying and I knew I wanted something bigger and faster but I didn't want to splash out another 30k on a TR. So I took the job, the a/c is old, slow and very very basic, it has an MTOW of 13000lbs.
Now I'm in the middle of my TR on it and this morning I spent an hour or so sitting in it going through the checklists. The a/c was parked in a large hanger, in that hanger lay two MRJT a/c awaiting maintenance, a 737-800 and a 319-132. I suddenly realised how depressing it was sitting in the a/c I was in and wishing I had waited for a job with a jet a/c.
Of course I'm glad I have a job as I know people can't get jobs but this isn't about that, it's about choices.
If you are of similar character as myself don't settle for something you know you don't want to fly, wait for the opportunity to arise and fly something you have always wanted to fly.

FrankAbagnale
21st Jan 2009, 12:38
Mate, You dont always have to look up but sometimes look down for motivation. Be happy with what you got. There isnt much out there.

Parson
21st Jan 2009, 12:43
You made the right decision

McBruce
21st Jan 2009, 12:50
I can't guess what type it is your flying but I bet it will be a whole lot more fun than a twin jet. You have years ahead to get into the daily grind of automatic flight.

nick14
21st Jan 2009, 12:51
Frank:D

Seriously Logitek, I like you have recently graduated.

I find it surprising that you tell us that you have been offered a job, with no type rating costs, and you are not happy with your decision to take said job because the aircraft isn't big enough for you.

In the current climate you are lucky to be in the position you are, it may not be your dream job, but its a job none the less with little financial cost to yourself. If after a year (and a few hundred hours) you are ready to move on then by all means do so.

My dream job is to be a 777 Captain but that is a dream as yet. Im certainly not going to pass up or moan about opportunities presented to me because they are not my ideal situation.

Not meant to be harsh just my 2 pence worth.

Nick

XX621
21st Jan 2009, 12:55
I suddenly realised how depressing it was sitting in the a/c I was in and wishing I had waited for a job with a jet a/c.

Whilst you're rehearsing checklists here's one for you.

1. Ensure master switch off.
2. Leave aircraft and lock it (if reqd).
3. Resign your position to operator.
4. Advise operator they should employ someone who isn't in la-la land.
5. Apply for positions at local fast food outlet, whilst applying for jet jobs.

Seriously, the grass is always greener in any job...but, as it appears you do recognise, you have a flying job....and looking at your age, also have heaps of time on your side.

Good luck.:ok:

S44
21st Jan 2009, 13:55
Totally agree with all the previous posts..... why be in such a hurry for a jet position.... pistons and turbo-prop flying is without doubt the most fun and challenging of your career.... if you realise your "dream" and go straight to a boeing or Airbus at 24 you'll be bored titless before your 30!!

DB6
21st Jan 2009, 14:06
A prediction: in 10 years time there will be a post on PPrune "For all those of you who want to get a shiny jet job; don't do it! It's much more fun flying an old, slow 13000lb aircraft. I'm bored stiff and on my 3rd hostie wife with 20 years to command, I wish I was getting some real hands-on time again".
Whatever you do, don't expect sympathy :}.

littco
21st Jan 2009, 14:19
Believe me in 36 months time when you have unfrozen you're ATPL, have no bond, Proved to your employer you are good at your job and loved every minute of flying. You get that green license in your hand and have the hope that you're next LPC/OPC you could be doing it from the left hand seat, you will look back at that day in the hangar and say it was the right decision to stay where you are.

You don't have another job, a big shiny jet to fly or the money to pay for a type rating on a 737 ( not that there are any jobs anyway )

You, at this time are in the best postion you could ever believe you could be in. Don't waste it, or think what if.. Trust me, the greener grass you're looking up at isn't greener and at the moment isn't even there!

Well done for getting that job, just make the most it!

Oh and if you had a real passion for flying, it wouldn't matter what plane it was, just the fact it can fly would be enough to satisfy your desire to be in the sky!!!

doctordoom
21st Jan 2009, 14:20
Wot a moan, I know guys who would kill to be in your position.

Der absolute Hammer
21st Jan 2009, 14:26
As I look at the carnage that envelopes the world today I can not think for one second why you titled your thread with the out of contextedly ridiculous 'bad decision'. You sir, are a lucky little bunny..you are in the clover field and so have the fun now hopping around in it. You are about to become a pilot!

Halfwayback
21st Jan 2009, 14:32
However, here is the problem I knew starting out the a/c type I'd be flying and I knew I wanted something bigger and faster

May I respectfully suggest that you give yourself a kick up the @rse and stop winding up other folks in the forum who would give their eye-teeth to be employed. It is your first job for Heaven's sake and you are damned lucky to have got it in today's climate. I am not sure how you pulled the wool over the interviewers' eye with such motivation.

You certainly give a very unfortunate impression of yourself as a spoiled young person and I for one would not enjoy having you in my RHS with such a negative attitude.

HWB

flightlevel1985
21st Jan 2009, 14:55
Stop moaning and get on with it ... Some people only wish they were in that position :(

silverknapper
21st Jan 2009, 15:02
Is this a wind up? Really? Is Clara here now?

Get a grip - look around these forums and you'll see no-one is getting jobs at the moment. To be in the RHS of a TP is the ideal start of a career, one which will set you up for life ( which may be short if some hard working instructors get hold of you ).
Anyway no more breath wasted as not convinced this is for real!

Canada Goose
21st Jan 2009, 15:04
This has to be a wind-up; right ?

Canada Goose
21st Jan 2009, 15:06
Silverknapper - you beat me to it ! ;-)

Captain Spam Can
21st Jan 2009, 15:23
I find it amazing what-ever you fly. The view is the same from 4000ft weather your in a 777 on finals or a c152 in the cruise, and its the same from 20,000ft weather your in a A320 or dash 8. Be grateful for the job for yourself that you worked your ass of to get there and your valued by the company. Your a commercial pilot!! Plenty of time to change a/c types. Its all a bout the novelty factor which wears off what ever your flying after some time. But the excitement is allways there :)

Airsey
21st Jan 2009, 16:33
Trust me, starting in the smaller planes is a GREAT place to start. Plenty of hands on flying, flying holds and approaches and feeling the plane, the experience you will get is incredible. I finished my training and a few months later was offered a job flying Twin Otters in the Seychelles. Type rating was paid for by the company and the flying is something else!!! Especially since we are right on the ITCZ, makes for some interesting conditions during December and January. Bottom line, enjoy the flying you have ahead of you and stop being negative because its a very negative time for aviation, and as every one has said, you're a lucky doughnut!!!

Pjlot
21st Jan 2009, 17:09
Just to play devils advocate here!

I'm sure when employers recruit low hours Pilots one of the concerns they try to satisfy themselves of is the fact that the new recruit is not going to run off at to fly a big shiny jet if the opportunity presents itself. (during bond - it has happened)

What would your employer think of your attitude at the moment after investing trust and faith in you! If you went to work tomorrow and you employer had read your comments what confidence would they have! Did you tell them at the interview you would prefer a job flying a 737 or A320 and you were just applying for the job because you could not get the big jet job? I think not!

Count your lucky cards you have this job and learn all you can from the lessons that this brings you!

As already said give yourself a good swift kick up the ass. Mate if you had your Class 1 revoked tomorrow with the possibility of not being able to fly again you would be grateful just to be able to do what you’re doing now.

Safe flying

plumponpies
21st Jan 2009, 18:36
"FLY FOR FREE".......there's another thread!

Callsign Kilo
21st Jan 2009, 20:54
I can't help suspecting that this is some sort of wind up, however if it isn't you should be ashamed of yourself.

I suddenly realised how depressing it was sitting in the a/c I was in and wishing I had waited for a job with a jet a/c.
In my opinion you have no passion for 'flying.' Maybe flying an older, conventional aircraft of around 6 tonne is too much like hard work for you? It now seems a far cry from all the glossy posters of the modern flight decks onboard the Boeings and 'Buses that were pinned to the walls at your integrated school. Maybe it doesn't live up to how you planned to discuss your new career to your mates or some bird you met down the local cattle market?

By the way mate, I fly the NG and it isn't all that. I often envy those who work in the type of operation that you find yourself. So stop sounding like a complete dick head and relish what you have. Flying isn't about monitoring an autoflight system!

flying macaco
21st Jan 2009, 22:43
Perhaps the only bad decision was made by your employer.

leeds 65
21st Jan 2009, 22:53
Snobbery

That is the issue here.And that comes from the advertising propaganda and spin merchants from the various flight schools.

The problem is that all the young potential pilots believe in it 100% and toodle home and go out drinking with there mates on a saturday stating='guess what guys im going to be a 747 pilot with BA in 15 months,its always been my dream'.There poor parents/guardians ,who know nothing about aviation,also believe the marketing hype and fake professionalism and care for the customer bolix on show in abundance at open days!!!The attitude enstilled is very much='if i dont get a jet job i have failed and my friends and family will look down on me'.

There are an awful lot of people who are blinded by perception - false perception.Many students want to be pilots to wear a uniform and pose(260 quid please!),stay in 5 star beach resorts for a week shagging babes and getting full pay(maybe airforce 1 pilots in the fifties!) etc etc,they dont think of reality(ie walkarounds in blizzards at 5 in the mornin!)

Basically there are people who believe that i live a life exactly like one Leonardo di Caprio in the film 'Catch me if you can'!!!

ehhh reality check!Dont give a **** what people think.flying is flying.when i say to people im a co.pilot they respond='oh really,you dont actually fly the plane though do you?' !

What happens after this job.lets say you land a job with a low cost carrier on a medium jet.will you be ashamed.scared people will hound you for not flying long haul for BA?

Your in a very good position.enjoy your flying and dont live your life according to what others think,thats fine in school,naive in adulthood.:ok:

good luck i wish you well

GeorgEGNT
21st Jan 2009, 23:06
I'll swap with you if you're soooo unhappy and thousands more will agree. You really need to stop moaning about not flying big jets for your first job, in the industry that it is today. The dream is to fly aircraft and it sounds like you've found an absolute result to start your career off. I hope you havent just paid 60k to train for the big jets and the 'glamour of the uniform'.

Sorry if any of my points are invalid or stupid, afterall I'm just a silly dreaming wannabe.

Frankly Mr Shankly
21st Jan 2009, 23:10
Pi$$ taker. :mad:

cessnagirl
21st Jan 2009, 23:16
"I suddenly realised how depressing it was sitting in the a/c I was in and wishing I had waited for a job with a jet a/c.":hmm:

Your a lucky guy. I'd be jumping for joy if I had your job as would others on this forum. There many pilots in and out of the job centre, flipping burgers in rotten ronnies etc and those of us behind desks. I understand that it may not be what you want right now, but from my own personal experience, a job is what YOU make of it.

I currently work in flight ops and the experience I have gained is invaluable and not one day has gone by where I haven't learned or gained something which will stand to me in the near future when I do get a flying job. Its great to be able to keep your hand in the industry and most of your ATPL knowledge current. All these jobs in airline ops and on smaller aircraft will stand to job seekers when things pick up.

Loose that attitude and congratulate yourself for all your hard work and for beating off competition to get your current job. Your in a great position to develop good handling skills, learn about airline operations and gain valuable experience. This is your first job and there will be greater opportunities out there for you in time. Be posative, embrace each day and go in there, get on with it and get the best of it. Remember its what YOU make it.:ok:

Straighten up and fly right,

CG

S44
21st Jan 2009, 23:17
Leeds 65...... you've hit the nail on the head!

corsair
21st Jan 2009, 23:30
I think it's a troll, Logitech is a manufacturer of PC joysticks. Which is a favourite with many 'Microsoft pilots'. Notable also is that it's a first post. Notable too is this line: two MRJT a/c awaiting maintenance, a 737-800 and a 319-132. Which is very spottery particularly; 319-132. If I wrote that line I would have said: two airliners in for maintenance, a 737 and an Airbus 319. I'm guessing too, that he won't come back and defend himself either.

If he is for real, well Leeds65 hit the nail on the head. I'm hoping that he gave himself away to his employer with his description. Someone like that doesn't deserve to have that job.:ugh:

Mile High Nutcase
21st Jan 2009, 23:45
Here's an idea Logitech

How about swapping jobs with me. Give your bosses your resignation, tell them i'll be happy to take your job instead.

I'll fly your depressing aircraft without paying for the type rating and you can work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week in the security job just to pay the bills, which i've doing since completing my training 3 months ago.

everytime i look out the window i see every aircraft flying into and out of London City and also all the ones approaching Heathrow. Trust me, after spending the 60K, my job certainly isn't as depressing as yours. you can sit and wonder all day everyday watching the A380's in a hold from i work.

nick14
22nd Jan 2009, 07:36
Are the MRJT's even line flying yet?? would they be in maintainance?

corsair
22nd Jan 2009, 08:37
Oh yes, nick the MRJT has been in service for some time now along with S/MRJT and LRJT and the amazing ELRJT.

So you're bound to see one or two in the 'large hangar' with Logitech's puddle jumper with a MTOW of 13000 lbs. It's old, slow and very very basic, you know, but they allow it into the same hangar as all those shiny MRJTs.

That's pilot talk you know.:suspect:

buzzc152
22nd Jan 2009, 09:10
Mate, you are a total prat and I hope I never have to fly with you. If you're only motivation is to get a hard on for a big shiny jet then you should just stay at home at look at airliners.net.

Lafyar Cokov
22nd Jan 2009, 09:23
I am in a similar position to Logitech.....

I recently accepted a job on a four-engined jet and, having completed the type rating, now realise I may have made a mistake. When I'm lined up waiting for take off next to these 747-400s, A380s and 777-300s I realise that my small jet isn't what I really wanted to be flying. I should have waited to be offered a job on one of these much bigger types.

Have I been a complete idiot accepting the job I have now? I just believe that I have been destined to fly an aircraft over 150,000 tonnes and I've been foolish accepting a job on an aeroplane weighing less than that!

What do you all think?

skiptoit
22nd Jan 2009, 09:33
I did my first line flights very very recently, in an aircraft with a MTOW of 16,204lb (That's a Jetstream 32). Had I dreamed of flying a jet? Yes, one day, but certainly not now, I have too much flying to enjoy yet. Just yesterday I was sat in the righthand seat on the turnaround, the skipper was outside doing the walkaround, the weather was awful, lashing rain, wind right across the runway at 20-25kts. It was night time. And I have never been so happy in my entire life! Yes, in a turboprop you fly in the weather, but man, it makes you a hell of a pilot. I am the luckiest guy alive. I was mildly depressed during the ground school for my type rating, but purely because I was stuck in a classroom studying meaningless diagram after meaningless diagram.

I'm guessing you're on a Kingair? If you aren't happy, give it up, give it to someone who wants it. Because I know over 60 guys that I met along the road to my CPL/IR who are out of work and desperate. They would kill to fly a PA28 and be paid, let alone a Jetstream or Kingair. One is overjoyed because he got offered a job flying Aztecs in Ghana yesterday. Get some sense of perspective. God almighty!!

And just to finish off, this is completely true. After my final sector yesterday I was positioning home with BA for my days off to go home and see some family. As I was in the departure lounge the FO walks past me, I was also in uniform. He stops and walks back and shakes my hand. He was a guy I trained with during ground school. He's now flying the 737 for BA. When we landed he asked me to come and say hi to him in the flight deck, and you know what, both him and his Captain said they envied ME!

Be grateful for what you've got and seriously change your attitude.

22nd Jan 2009, 10:00
All the way from 0 to F/O and that's his first post - must be a wind up!!

Pjlot
22nd Jan 2009, 10:57
If this is real it's highly unlikely that it's his first post!

It's probably and alias to protect his identity!

FrankAbagnale
22nd Jan 2009, 14:43
"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
:}

James_Grace
22nd Jan 2009, 16:12
:eek: I think its disgusting you feel that way... There are people is this country struggling to find work in McDonalds and you rant on about the aircraft not been big enough. Are you flying a Beechcraft Super King Air or something? If so you should be happy you've got it... and without paying for it. There are many people out there (me included) who would love to get paid for flying for the first time in there lives.:mad:

corsair
22nd Jan 2009, 16:28
Good quote Frank, I like this line best: We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place.

Story of my life, I'm afraid. Missed all the interesting stuff.

Nothing to do with our trolling friend though, who I note hasn't returned or at least hasn't posted again. No surprise there.

cessnagirl
22nd Jan 2009, 23:40
LAFYAR; similar bad decision.

No, of course not. It's not the size that matters.:E

ATP_Al
23rd Jan 2009, 00:10
This has to be a wind up. Or maybe this guy is in a holding pool and is trying to get the competition ahead of him to turn down the job.....

Either way it has to be one of the most stupid statements i've ever seen on here.

Just in case anyone is in doubt, the golden rule is TAKE THE FIRST JOB YOU'RE OFFERED!!

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Jan 2009, 00:44
Gents. Don't feed the troll.

If he isn't a troll then he's a muppet of monumental proportions and definately in the wrong business.

INNflight
23rd Jan 2009, 02:55
I for one agree with Logitech.

I just yesterday dropped BA an e-mail, I want to start out on their A380s. I'd even be willing to be in the F/O seat :ouch:

Logitech
23rd Jan 2009, 11:36
It's how I feel, at least I know how I feel and I know what I want. Of course it would be easier for me if I felt like the majority of you but I'm afraid I do not.
Anyway, I passed the flight check on the a/c yesterday and I begin line training at the end of February.
But, thanks for the replys they made me think more clearly and I have a three year contract so it's not that long.

Logitech.

Flintstone
23rd Jan 2009, 14:17
Seriously folks, don't take the bait. At times like this someone prepared to play troll on such a subject is the lowest of the low.

FrankAbagnale
23rd Jan 2009, 14:27
I think its a way of checking the pulse and blood pressure of the poor unemployed folks like me....Making sure that we are still here.
We Are.
We maybe down, But not Dead!

leeds 65
23rd Jan 2009, 18:13
If this guy is telling the truth then his attitude is unfortunately shared by many young wannabees,blinded by marketing(on a cynical note job well done by the flight school marketing propagandists - laughing all the way to the bank)

read post #24

Hansard
23rd Jan 2009, 20:42
I don't think the original poster is for real but then again, I know one integrated student who felt the same way when he "only" got a turboprop job with flybe straight after training.

Pace152
23rd Jan 2009, 21:13
This guy just made me so angry I had to step outside for awhile.

Seriously if this isnt a wind up I'd advise you not to go looking for sympathy.

INNflight
23rd Jan 2009, 23:02
How 'bout some IP tracking? We can go get him and beat him with turboprop blades :}

adverse-bump
24th Jan 2009, 10:40
Sadly,

he isnt the only fool to feel like this. When i did my first tr (after 12 months FI work, and 4 months airtaxi work) there was one guy who was straight out of training who used to go on and on about how glamorous flying should be (and how we should all wear hats - we dont)

he struggled alot during ground school, and line training. but before he got on line daddy paid of his bond and got him a job in asia flying a300's as a cruise pilot!

he had poor handling skills when he left, im scared to think what his flying will be like in two years time when they finally let him land a plane!

as for me, i love flying TP's, are sectors are anything from 12 minutes, to 2 hours 30 min - give me the 12 min sectors any day!

corsair
24th Jan 2009, 14:49
He may or may not be a troll but people like him are not unique. In love the with 'airline pilot' idea. I may not be completely appreciative of my job and I do look on with envy when something paraffin burning and shiny passes above or below me. But the very idea that I would quit an actual flying job and sit at home waiting for the 'real' job to turn up is absurd.

I have come across this mentality a few times. Met a few new pilots who actually refused flying work because it's literally beneath them. Usually they're integrated graduates. This is not a dig at all integrated graduates. It's simply that that integrated training is basically sold as airline pilot training when it's simply pilot training. Some people buy into the whole sales pitch. 'Here I am in an airline pilot training school training to be an airline pilot'. So a mere turboprop or an old, slow basic aeroplane is not for them.

They come out of training expecting to be snapped up by some jet carrier. Essentially I blame the FTOs, they positively nurture that attitude from their advertising right through the training. It's not surprising then that many a naive young, newly hatched pilot, clutching a licence and ratings are dismayed that all is not as rose tinted as they were told.

It's a regular thing here on PPRuNe. Someone whinging that they left OAA/FTE/CABAIR two months ago, with first time passes and an average of 99.99% in their ATPLs having spent a small fortune on their training and nobody has offered them a job yet! Is life unfair or what? And that was during the 'good' times.

The poor little darlings. Life can be so cruel:E

aquamon
24th Jan 2009, 14:57
Yup INNflight,

I'm with you!

Let's beat thu shyt out of this ******!
:yuk:

jamestkirk
25th Jan 2009, 11:33
No, of course not. It's not the size that matters.

If only more women had that philosophy.:O

Adverse bump

how glamorous flying should be (and how we should all wear hats - we dont)

I wear a hat and let me tell you how glamorous i find it. Its a great way to keep my (balding) head warm and dry in the harsh scottish winter. I am thinking of lining it with fur and adding LED lights around the rim so I don't have to bother with a high-vis jacket. The chief pilot would be over the moon with that.

Mister Geezer
27th Jan 2009, 10:26
The golden rule in this game is that you take the FIRST job that is offered. You will have far more stick and rudder fun in the aircraft you described than pushing buttons in a Boeing since hand flying is often frowned upon .Is it your enthusiasm for flying or your ego that is directing your career path?

Logitech
27th Jan 2009, 11:30
I won't lie to you, it's ego.

G SXTY
27th Jan 2009, 12:22
Just for fun I'll assume this isn't a wind-up.

Anyone getting into flying because of their ego - rather than a love of flying - will discover very quickly that they're in the wrong career. Not the wrong aircraft.

jamestkirk
27th Jan 2009, 13:28
MG is right.

Some of the best times I have had flying is instructing on a summer day over the Sussex countryside with the windows open ALL THE WAY!!! (C152).

Then the fun of watching the apprehension/horror on peoples faces as they sit in their car and see the aforementioned aircraft on a glide approach trying to take the ariel of the roof of the aforementioned car in desperation to land somewhere near the numbers. Only one student managed it. Oh how we (not the people in the car) laughed.:)

Say again s l o w l y
27th Jan 2009, 14:56
Fella, I'm still convinced you are a troll. Not many people are stupid enough to get into this business without a love of flying, but just in case you aren't........

Having flown jets, turboprops, helicopters, MEP, SEP of all kinds and variations then the ONLY reason for flying shiny jets is the wage packet.

I've seen pilots with this attitude many times. You'll be an ex-pilot in under 10 years. Guaranteed.

If you don't really want to do it and are flying to satiate your ego and lack of self confidence (egotists are usually overcompensating for a deep seated but often hidden lack of confidence) then when you do finally "get there" you'll get bored and realise that flying no longer has a draw.

I promise you one thing though. You'll be no loss.

Logitech
27th Jan 2009, 16:04
What's a troll?

Halfwayback
27th Jan 2009, 18:34
Well done Logi!

Great response - now take a break from winding up the Billy Goats Gruff!

Otherwise its 'lights out!'

HWB

corsair
27th Jan 2009, 18:52
What's a troll?

Ah, you blew it, logi. If you really wanted to keep it going you should have come back with an anguished defence of your position. But that's hard to do when you're faking it. Come on now, admit you are a Microsoft pilot aren't you?

The irony of course it that there really are pilots like you out there! Real ones that is, not merely people poling pixels on a liquid crystal panorama.

Flintstone
27th Jan 2009, 19:59
Logitech.

You weren't convincing when you started and you're not fooling anyone now. I thought you'd at least had the decency to back off when we pinged you at the beginning but you're the sort of loathsome creature who thinks it funny to bait those seeking work at a time when our industry (not yours) is in trouble. Corsair's got you nailed as a Microsoft pilot and you're too dumb to carry this off. What do Logitech make? Keyboards, mice........................ and joysticks. You were blown the day you registered.

You're pathetic. Clearly jealous of those who have made the grade you sit at your mock-up (desk) looking for ways to put down those who have achieved what you cannot. You fail, in many ways. Now take your envious, pathetic little self away from here. The grown-ups are talking and it's past your bedtime.

Chesty Morgan
27th Jan 2009, 20:03
The grown-ups are talking and it's past your bedtime.

Yeah, so there.:ok::}

Say again s l o w l y
27th Jan 2009, 22:19
I reckon that's point proven. What's a troll? You're 24 years old supposedly, of course you'd know what a troll is in relation to the internerd.

Get a life.

Mister Geezer
27th Jan 2009, 22:58
I respect you for admitting your ego is directing you rather than your enthusiasm, since many would not be so gracious to admit that. Flying a jet is a job and I can assure you it is not sexy or glamorous but like any flying job it is great since at the end of the day it allows one to fly. Flying a turboprop can be just as rewarding and fun and sometimes more so. If turboprop pilots were paid the same as Jet guys, I guess many would opt to fly a turboprop since one could have more fun when flying for the same salary!

James_Grace
27th Jan 2009, 23:03
Look Familiar

http://www.collectorsconnection.com/imagesh5/47a903.jpg

Logitech
28th Jan 2009, 09:31
You have all said this or something similar:

"Flying a jet is more money"

So why wouldn't I look at the jets with envy and want to fly/operate (whatever) one as I have bills and a loan like everyone else.

jamestkirk
28th Jan 2009, 09:57
I am not interested in giving you a hard time or anything.

I am genuinely interested if you are telling the truth. Could you elaborate a little on your current situation.Aircraft type, location, where you trained etc.

Challie601
28th Jan 2009, 10:04
Logitech....:=

you say you want to fly Jets....and why not eh, yes they pay more money

BUT you started the thread concerning the choices one makes and how better it may be to WAIT for that dream job.........

You cant sit around waiting in this industry, imagine stating in an interview that you passed on other jobs on smaller operations just because you wanted to wait for the opportunity for a shot with the big boys.....yikes

More to the point, like you, I have debts and couldnt/didnt take the SSTR option, although after 6 months of returning to the UK with experience in my pockets but no jobs forthcoming it was looking like I might have to bite the bullet and get further in debt but earn money sooner by going the route of a certain EI reg outfit.

A friend of mine did it, 18 months later he is happy as larry but will be paying off the TR for years whilst working under the same threat of redundancy as the rest of us.

I got lucky, its not the best job in the world, its not the career route I envisaged I would take, hell I wanted to fly TP's first!

BUT I am flying, its a good bird and I am gaining experience, more importantly being PAID.

Lot of casualties going on out there at the moment and you never know, I might be next in the coming months.

BUT I am flying.

You should remember that. Give it time, get the experience and opportunities will open up for you.

Be ever grateful for what you have got!

Say again s l o w l y
28th Jan 2009, 11:41
You have all said this or something similar:

"Flying a jet is more money"

So why wouldn't I look at the jets with envy and want to fly/operate (whatever) one as I have bills and a loan like everyone else.

With these comments I'm not talking to Logi as I am firmly convinced he's a simple internet windup troll, they are aimed at anyone who wants to fly for a living who might read this thread.

So you got into flying for the money????????? What, are you mental? I can think of numerous jobs where the pay far exceeds what we get at any stage in our careers, that don't cost £70K ish to get into.

Your "bad decision" was to think that flying was a viable career for you.

Get this, flying can be a tough old business, often with poor job security and with reducing T's and C's, unless you get into an aircraft and absolutely love it, then after a few years, you'll hate it and turn into the usual, cynical old misery guts who comes onto Pprune and moans about naff all.

You'll be a pain to work with and your attitude will get noticed by management and you'll be chopped first if any redundancies happen.

We all fall in and out of love with flying sometimes, but to be as cynical as you are at this early stage in your career. Then frankly your chances of still being in the cockpit in 20 years time are absolutely naff all.

That was a good investment wasn't it.........................

Does this definition sound familiar?

A Troll is a person who just loves to waste, either intentionally or unintentionally, the time of other people on a newsgroup, group, or other Internet Forum. A troll tells people to do this or do that, to go yonder, etc. because they are too good to do the work themselves. Never will a troll put any effort into their replies. And, if you actually believe these people you will end up wasting a considerable amount of time going on a wild goose chase.

bfisk
28th Jan 2009, 13:03
The problem with todays kids (myself included) is our access to instant gratification. We can basically do whatever, whenever, as long as we can pay for it, and most of us can. I'm reading a book about the subject, which has it all wound out properly.

I don't know the english names for the characters in this comic; but it's the one about the wolf trying to eat the three little piglets. All his life, the wolf has tried to make plans for capturing and eating the piglets, one more cunning than the other. It never works out, yet he still gets up every morning, refusing to be defeated.

Then one day, he manages to capture the three little piglets, and whilst the onions and carrots are simmering, the oldest of the three piglets asks the wolf; "what will you do tomorrow, after you've eaten us?". Baffeled by the question, the wolf looks away and the three little piglets manage to escape. The author implies that eating the piglets would make the wolfs very reason to get up in the morning go away.

Right now, that's actually the way I'm feeling. All my life I've been striving to achieve, and now, at 22, I have a stable job, lots of time off, a nice girlfriend, my own house, economy to do mostly as I please, and still I'm no happier than what I used to be when I had to sort everything out on a daily basis.

The problem with instant gratification is not solved by gaining more, but by looking forward to what you can dream of in the future. Sometimes you can have a good time on the steps of the ladder, the ladder may not only be a means to reach the top.

(How? I don't know. I'm trying to figure that out.)

The book, in norwegian, for those who are interested, is called "Storeulvsyndromet", by Thomas Hylland Eriksen.

Halfwayback
28th Jan 2009, 14:14
Ok this one has gone on long enough.

The troll is having a little sleep under his bridge!

HWB

woodcoc2000
31st Jan 2009, 13:27
Logitech

If you are of similar character as myself don't settle for something you know you don't want to fly, wait for the opportunity to arise and fly something you have always wanted to fly.

Assuming you are not a wind up merchant then the solution is simple.. piss off out of that job and make room for someone who wants to be there. wait for your jet job; if it comes great, if not then its up to you

hi9h_fly3r
31st Jan 2009, 15:26
You ungrateful idiot. Most people on here would give their right arm for the opportunity you have.

You have a commercial job, you will be paid to fly that a/c and accrue hours at their expense not yours. This market is saturated with low houred guys clammering for their first job, more 200 hour guys than you can shake a ****ty stick at and you are dreaming about flying a jet. Trust me, flying a jet isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Pull your head out of your arse and get on with it. If not, send me the address as i know 10 blokes who'd do it!!!!!!

Halfwayback
1st Feb 2009, 13:43
Logitech has been away for a while and unable to see or respond.

Perhaps he is slightly wiser now and will stop winding folks up!

HWB

Flying Squid
4th Feb 2009, 13:23
Well said Hi9h_Fly3r......

I suspect Mr Logitech invested the grand sum of £40 on his training via Microsoft Flight Sim and now has the nerve to come on here whinging t he's got a raw deal about how hard life is because he's not flying what he wants. i.e an actual aircraft rather than a desk!

I call Microsoft Troll. However, if on the off chance you are not a troll but are actually brave/stupid enough to come on here expecting to receive sympathy for what you obviously see as an inferior job then as rightly said above....feel free to hand in your notice, give me the contact details of your company and I'll apply for it.

I can't imagine that a professional pilot could really be so short sighted as to genuinely believe that he's unlucky because he isn't in a nice shiny jet. Give me strength!

Must be a troll....if not then I pray I never come across someone so moronic in my flying career again!!! :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

aviation buff
6th Mar 2009, 11:39
Grow up and stop acting so spoilt. I suggest you do I little work for yourself in the real world

PILOTDAN1992
10th Mar 2009, 14:22
omg m8, i sit at college thinking about nothing but flying i would kill to be in your position consider yourself one of the luckyest people in the wolrd

skyhighbird
10th Mar 2009, 15:03
PilotDan,

A few wannabee detectives have already come up with pretty good logic (excuse the pun) to deduce that the poster is a troll.

DaFly
11th Mar 2009, 12:04
Wnat to fly something bigger, something faster? Sounds like you are not even mature enough to fill the post you are in now! Other people have their first job on single pistons :*