PDA

View Full Version : Report passing "MARGO"

fisbangwollop
20th Jan 2009, 08:12
After 43 years she has finally called it a day....that said her name will live for ever, that is if you fly the upper air routes into Scotland!....She was a reporting point with kindness and baking skills second to none but I am sure we will not see the last of those heavily laced Christmas cakes....good luck.:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jan 2009, 08:28
Very best of good luck to the dear lady and glad she is now immortal.

Being an old git the name brings back memories of Margaret Sword. Bet there aren't many - if any - on here who remember her.

Skijumper27
20th Jan 2009, 08:37
I can say I remember Margo. A great Assistant. All the best for her retirement.:ok:

Max Angle
20th Jan 2009, 09:47
that said her name will live for ever

At least until they change the upper airspace again, then MARGO will have to make way for yet another meaningless, computer generated, 5 letter from Brussels.

fisbangwollop
20th Jan 2009, 11:12
"At least until they change the upper airspace again, then MARGO will have to make way for yet another meaningless, computer generated, 5 letter from Brussels."

MARGO was neither meaningless nor computer generated!!! She was just one of the old school and a good one at that!!:ok:

Loki
20th Jan 2009, 12:41
HD

I thought it was May Sword...or has old age/decrepitude finally got to me?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jan 2009, 16:36
Loki... No it was "May" but I thought her full name was Margaret?

Max Angle
20th Jan 2009, 16:42
MARGO was neither meaningless nor computer generated!!! She was just one of the old school and a good one at that!!

Yes I know, that's my point. All over the UK we have, or had, 5 letter designators that are actually named after someone or something (MARGO, LOVEL, TWEED, DAYNE, and lets not forget, DANDY and BEANO) but the new rules say the only source of designators is now a computer that spurts out pronounceable 5 letter groups that mean nothing at all. A great shame and another case of new regulation making things just a little less interesting.

Loki
20th Jan 2009, 16:51
HD

Ah I see!

I just remember her pitching up at the college (some people still referred to it as the school back then) when exams were imminent, acting as invigilator. I`m sure she was my assistant for my approach procedural exam too.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jan 2009, 17:56
Loki... she was ATCA on my Approach exam and certainly helped me enormously. Great lady, presumably no longer with us.

Spitoon
20th Jan 2009, 18:33
Are we talking the Margo that I worked alongside briefly at PF many years ago? And that I still dream about......

Loki
20th Jan 2009, 19:47
Spitoon

I`ve worked with her too, lovely young woman.....

fisbangwollop
21st Jan 2009, 06:52
Bit of thread drift here from our Southern friends from Margo to May Sword.........who ever she was???.... for those north of the border know there is only one MARGO..!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jan 2009, 06:59
Very sorry for thread drift.

The Margo in question, does her surname begin with "L" and is her husband "C"?

fisbangwollop
21st Jan 2009, 07:24
The Margo in question, does her surname begin with "L" and is her husband "C"?

No on both accounts!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jan 2009, 07:38
OK... I don't know her, unfortunately!

PPRuNe Radar
21st Jan 2009, 12:18
Margo's maiden surname began with 'L' and her current surname begins with 'C'.

beamwidth
21st Jan 2009, 15:28
All of this speculation... would the real Margo stand up!

If you knew her, you'd never forget her, if you didnt, then your life has missed something.
The life and sole of many a great piss up at ECC in the days of yore.
Hope she enjoys the time off.
Very fond memories of long nights and terrible hangovers:ok:

Roger That
21st Jan 2009, 21:09
fantastic person, outstanding character, (outstanding jam maker :)) and truly the end of an era. Enjoy your well-earned retirement ..... we'll all miss you :ok:

RT

Mister Geezer
23rd Jan 2009, 12:28
I had fun asking my F/O a couple of months back if he knew why MARGO was used as the name of an airway fix.

He looked at me as if I had lost my bananas. Think the phrase 'You need to get out more' was uttered! :}

NASTYNAS
24th Jan 2009, 18:06
Also a regular at the Controlers cup in years gone bye. Looked after and protected raw recruits , Good luch Margo . I'm sure we'll see you around at various parties etc...

agent007
24th Jan 2009, 20:24
Margo was indeed one of the best ATSA's. She always kept an eye on the new starts on her watch and gave advice second to none. She certainly deserves a great retirement.
Good Luck and all the best

happ1ness
24th Jan 2009, 20:37
All the best for your retirement Margo many fond memories of my time at Scottish working with you. High Level was always great fun with you on the sector.
:)