PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL to FAA PPL help please

bigdunk
19th Jan 2009, 11:33
thinkng of a trip to Florida and need to get the Faa license how do i do this ? Can any one help Thanks, BigD

S-Works
19th Jan 2009, 11:51
A full FAA or one based on your JAA one?

If one based on your UK licence you need a part 61.75 certificate. There are endless pages of advice on this, the search engine is your friend. In a nutshell, you need a validation from letter from the CAA and the FAA and then an appointment at an FSDO when you arrive.

If you want a full PPL you will need to do the written exam, get a TSA training approval and your fingerprints taken and the take the check ride in the US.

debiassi
19th Jan 2009, 21:23
<P>Firstly you dont need to go in person to the US anymore. You can actually pick up your 6175 from the DPE who is based in the UK. The cost is the same pretty much but its so much easier than having to go through the hassle of a trip to America. For full details look on <A href="http://www.businessair.us">www.businessair.us</A></P>
<P>Im sure this will save you a lot of hassle, it certainly did me. You will still need to go through the process of having your uk license verified through the FAA site</P>

debiassi
19th Jan 2009, 21:26
also once you have the 6175 temporary airmans certificate, this needs to be validated by doing a biennial flight review which can be dooone at any FAA appointed training school. Rob Spencer at Cranfield can do the review or you can also do it at Gamston, Humberside

S-Works
19th Jan 2009, 21:41
What part of his original question did you all miss?

thinkng of a trip to Florida and need to get the Faa license how do i do this ? Can any one help Thanks, BigD

he is going to Florida, he wants to fly. if he goes through the validation and turns up in person at an FSDO he will get the certificate free. When he rents he will do a BFR before anyone lets him rent.

Pages of crap on doing it in the UK does not really answer the question of what he needs to do to fly on a trip to Florida........ :ugh::ugh::ugh:

hoodie
19th Jan 2009, 22:34

Well, clearly the bit about providing bose-x with yet another excuse to be gratuitously obnoxious. :hmm: "You all" is one person, who made a mistake whilst trying to be helpful - such a crime.

And it won't be free - it will cost £39 to the CAA for the validation letter.

bigdunk, if you've not found it already here's a link (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/299599-faa-piggy-back-license-info-needed.html) to the info you need for a "piggyback" certificate.

Keygrip
20th Jan 2009, 01:11
SoCal, I can only speak for Orlando FSDO but they did, at least at some point, allow certain authorised DPE's to issue a TAC for a "licence issued on the basis of".

It was all due to the fact that, some time after 9/11 you could not enter a Federal building unless you were a US Citizen - so visiting PPL's couldn't legally get into FSDO to collect a TAC.

I don't *know* if it is still the case that certain DPE's can issue the TAC - but I do *believe* it is.

tdbristol
20th Jan 2009, 11:14
BigDunk,

I know it's a little off topic, but I would recommend Air Orlando at Orlando Executive airport (right in the middle of Orlando). They have a fair few brits that train with them/hire from them and they hire various aircraft (172s, DA40s, Cirrus); all are in good condition. Also they have some really good instructors - I would recommend Greer Rabiega. (I did my JAA to FAA PPL BFR and IR there in September 08.)
Also the man who runs Air Orlando is very reasonable and helpful (John Painter).

S-Works
20th Jan 2009, 17:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by bose-x
Well, clearly the bit about providing bose-x with yet another excuse to be gratuitously obnoxious. "You all" is one person, who made a mistake whilst trying to be helpful - such a crime.

And it won't be free - it will cost £39 to the CAA for the validation letter.

bigdunk, if you've not found it already here's a link to the info you need for a "piggyback" certificate.

Not sure what part of me pointing out that his question was quite clearly about going to Florida and flying was obnoxious. Am I the only one that bothers to read? I all also pointed out the FAA part would be free, doing it with the DPE here in Europe costs money.

Really, I rather think that I was not obnoxious but you were looking for a fight.

debiassi
20th Jan 2009, 17:50
For all those who are interested, I did actually provide a web address which has all of the relevant contact details. But I will disregard the obnoxious and offer any help I can to save from unecessary transatlantic trips. Now as far as I am aware there is only 1 DPE who covers all of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. He works for the New York FSDO and he can issue your 6175, he can do your flight tests, your IR checkrides and anything else you can think of. He lives in Norfolk and is in the process of moving office from Norwich to Le Touquet although he will still be residing in the UK. Now I am sure you can imagine hes quite hard to tie down but send him an email, his details are on his site at www.faaeurope.us (http://www.faaeurope.us/)
Mention Dave with the Mooney and hopefully he will get back to you as soon as time permits.

S-Works
20th Jan 2009, 18:10
thinkng of a trip to Florida and need to get the Faa license how do i do this

OK at the risk of being accused of being 'obnoxious' the guy wants to go on a trip to Florida and go flying he did not ask how to get an FAA certificate for flying in Europe or how to try and save an unnecessary trip.

Perhaps I am just being to pedantic......

:ugh:

rarelyathome
21st Jan 2009, 10:24
Bose-X let the padants of the world unite - too pedantic!:}