PDA

View Full Version : King Shaka International Airport

BLACK HAWK DOE
17th Jan 2009, 18:26
Can anybody advise if KSIA will be open for the 2010 SoccerWorld Cup? News is; there's too few bodies to man it as a substantial percentage of DBN staff has left for the sandpit. To date, nil applications has come forward to replace them. Time is running out. Is a crisis brewing? :ugh:

Skyjuggler
17th Jan 2009, 19:12
Is a crisis brewing? In my opinion it's brewed, and the kettle's whistling but apparently no-one can hear it. The airport itself should be up and running, but as for staff...?
Most of the figures I have are heresay but to give you a vague idea... Durban is running with about 60% staff at the moment, from an already small pool that's already tight. No leave can be taken until late this year and they're already working 8 hour shifts. They'll Possibly lose two more (maybe 3)to the sandpit within the next 3 months... Excluding the prospect of training everyone for the new spot up their coast, the outlook is bleak...
My thoughts are with the guys that are still left.
But there are ATC's in the pipeline!!! It just seems to be a long pipeline with a fat guy at the front:bored:

BLACK HAWK DOE
17th Jan 2009, 19:23
Just find it funny that nobody's interested in applying to work in Dbn. I would think there would be many interested, seeing that Dbn' has the better weather (or am I wrong) and being a coastal city. What's the catch? What is the remuneration like compared to other SA units?

Skyjuggler
17th Jan 2009, 19:59
Absolutely agree. from my years in Durbs it's omaong one of the best places in the world. Sunshine, beaches and lots more. Unfortunately, and this may be the underlying problem, Durban was, and probably still is, one of the lower paid stations. The station allowance is dismal compared to the other larger stations. I'm certainly not saying that the bigger statios don't deserve it, but I believe Durban deserves a bit more than they get at the moment. They may be quiter but they still work pretty hard, and on their own. No planners or anything of the sort. Although they may not need it all the time, when it does get busy (and it does) they've got to do it all by themselves. Not to mention the eight hour night shift solo as well...

18th Jan 2009, 04:36
ATNS has approached a few providers in Europe asking if they have staff to spare for a lease agreement.....don't know if anybody is interested or what the conditions of the lease are or if the European folks even have staff to spare. Desperate times...

Blockla
18th Jan 2009, 09:26
Leasing staff... A few years back I was on the list of potential loaners from Oz to RSA, the deal couldn't be done as there wasn't enough coin in it for the employer to make a descent cut; so it didn't go ahead. Although a few from Ireland did head that way around then...

I would imagine that sourcing staff from Europe would cost a pretty penny, but any port in a storm... The reductions in movements up here may release a few bodies in the short term, but I understand Europe to be very short (like the rest of the world) of controller stocks.

Skyjuggler
18th Jan 2009, 18:23
I received a phone call from a buddy of mine today who still has quite a bit of contact with the Durbs crew. Turns out things are far worse than I thought. Morale of the staff is pretty low with the looming Soccer and simultaneous move to La Mercy, no leave etc. Apparently they know nothing yet about when they'll start training or how! They can't relieve any staff to get trained...

He hasn't heard anything about recruitment from Europe. Do the staff at Durban know anything? Or is that where the "pipeline" starts?:ugh:

Anyone still working there gonna give us a comment? :oh: Maybe tell us the truth instead of us rumouring. I'd love to know 'cos Durbs is still pretty close to my heart...

7Hulk
18th Jan 2009, 20:56
Well, I don't think management really cares. The guys that recently left for the sandpit had no intention of leaving. In actual fact they wanted to stay & sign the retention contract that was offered. They were out of their training contract, [worked 3yrs @ procedural stations,(moved there against their wishes) + 3yrs @ radar station]. However thay never qualified for the retention 'cause they were not 5years at a radar station. So colleagues that started with them in the company that stayed at a radar station and were not moved out of their comfort zone (saying this with all respect), were earning more money as their counterparts -
-firstly 'cause they started on the PATC salary band earlier than guys that were asked to go to (help out @) procedural stations &
-secondly they now qualified for a retention package unlike the guys that helped out at proceduaral stations.
So when these guys queried the logic behind it, they were told that management would get back to them. Well a year has passed, they already playing in the sand and I believe management are on their way to get back to them (company expense obviously).:hmm:

Skyjuggler
19th Jan 2009, 06:06
Ah, the proverbial "closing the stable door after the horse has bolted" situation. It's just too little too late. Way too late. What can management possibly have to offer that'll bring people back from the desert. I hear the retention contracts basically work out to less than the intial training contract that needed to be signed after training. So... You're worth less to them as a staff member after you have 5 years experience?:confused::confused:

What 7hulk (hey man:) said makes sense. It seems to be a long known method of management to keep quiet and "maybe it'll go away." A the end of the day, controllers are going to be looking out for number 1. I wouldn't have waited a year to get an answer:=

7Hulk
20th Jan 2009, 04:45
I can see history playing itself out again. People responsible for the brain drain will jump ship and those left behind will suffer at no cost to the powers that be. Their lives carry on (happy family = happy life) while the ones bringing in the money, have to work longer hours-more days & their family life suffer. So Black Hawk Doe should you be planning to go to the SWC, my best bet is to land @ Virginia airport. They should be manned and it's closer to the soccer stadium.

BLACK HAWK DOE
20th Jan 2009, 05:16
Thanks 7HULK for that. I'd surely now file to land at Virginia.Hi Grigri. I'm assuming you still in Durbs. Have people taken this up with a union or is it still the 'guild'? Surely they must be looking out for the people or are their hands tied?

7Hulk
20th Jan 2009, 06:09
I can somehow answer that for you. People in Durbs belong to the guild so they can fall under the IFATCA umbrella and that is as far as it goes. In all my years there, I don't know what the 'guild' had done for the people in Durbs. Between the guild & the union, I as a Tower & Approach-rated controller was earning about +- R5 000 less (before I left could have changed) than a just tower-rated controller in CPT/JNB -that started like 5yrs after me in the company!!!So some advice for my colleagues that stayed, THERE IS LIFE AFTER ATNS. I, not for once regret my decision. I have an excellent lifestyle and my family is happy PLUS a reality check: Nobody there cares for you & your 'troubles'. The people that are supposedly looking after you, DON'T CARE. They in it for themselves only. Don't fall for the nice words of how 'PROFESSIONAL & DEDICATED' you are.

LazyLLz
20th Jan 2009, 07:17
Does ATNS still require ex South African trained/licensed ATCO to prove their credentials at the ATNS collage before they may be considered for re-employment. If this is the case, maybe ATNS should reconsider their stance and just maybe they will find a few more interested in returning.

LazyLLz

ASD
20th Jan 2009, 13:25
Not to get too much off topic but even Cape Town is having similar troubles....

APP/TWR pool running a bit thin with all the resignations to the sandpit.

Its not so much a DBN problem as it is an ATNS problem. Hopefully they sort it out and sort it out soon. :ugh:

20th Jan 2009, 13:32
Does ATNS still require ex South African trained/licensed ATCO to prove their credentials at the ATNS collage before they may be considered for re-employment. If this is the case, maybe ATNS should reconsider their stance and just maybe they will find a few more interested in returning.

LazyLLz

Yes, as ridiculous as it sounds, they're still holding on to that procedure.

ASD
21st Jan 2009, 08:48
Well we had 4 resignations from the TWR/APP pool in Dec alone with another 2 two months before. (6 PATCs leaving our pool within 3 months is a big blow...

Another 4 strong possible resignations coming this year....

On top of that we have a possible PATC retiring and one transferring units.

Of course there were some ACC resignations to add to all of this but at the moment the TWR/APP pool is the one that has been hard hit.

Yes we do have some new additions to the unit but now its time to train train train. This is causing a big gap between the "really experienced" and the "newly trained" at the unit.

I agree they should have started doing something 3 years ago but we cant go back into the past - so best they start doing something ASAP before it just gets worse and worse and spirals into an uncontrollable situation.

ATNS is not a bad company to work for. We have told them this many a time. We work on awesome equipment, we love the city we work in but they know what they need to do to keep the staff. The offer is just too good on the other side, lets see if we get less than inflation on the next salary negotiations again. :ouch:

I certainly aint going to be the last one to stay behind :sad:

2010 :eek:

skybound1
21st Jan 2009, 18:50
yip its getting bad,well said Grigri, working long shifts hours,leave thats not guarenteed,it is having an impact on quality of ones life,and no positive news can make things very demotivating.
let's hope things sort themselves out?

7Hulk
21st Jan 2009, 18:55
The powers that be 'know what to do'. Yeh they sure do! But will they? Nah, they need the money to keep the 'Old Boys Club' running - Organising all their members jobs at HQ. Can somebody tell me what is the ratio now wrt ATCO's vs HQ members? Should be interesting. Will it be a case of 'too many chiefs and too little indians' (sorry if politically incorrect). Why don't they get their licences back and help you (ASD + Grigri) guys at the stations. Yeh Grigri, maybe then you can move to KSIA but then again they won't, because that means they will have to step off the gravy train. So guys, I feel your pain. I do understand. No, really I do. :rolleyes:(Does this sound familiar?)

skybound1
22nd Jan 2009, 13:58
Unfortunately moral at my station is very low,which is not good as this can impact on work performance.
Leave is not guareenteed at this stage:{

Murdoch007
22nd Jan 2009, 14:41
Hi Ppl

Some very interesting comments!

Just an idea, IF THE COMPANY HAS BUDGETED FOR e.g. 200 STAFF AND THOSE LEFT BEHIND EQUALS 120, DON'T YOU'LL THINK THE EXTRA CASH SHOULD BE SHARED AMONGST US. WE ARE THE ONES DOING THE EXTRA YARDS!Any comments.:ok:

22nd Jan 2009, 16:38
Murdoch

If ATNS actually gets some ATCOs from Europe on lease contracts, its going to cost between R100K and R150K per ATCO per month. Thats where that extra money will go to! Thats if they actaully get some guys to fill the seats, if not, then I guess you could put in a claim for the extra dough. Good luck with that.

Murdoch007
22nd Jan 2009, 20:12

I don't think LUCK is gonna help me. I will need to fast and pray, ITS GONNA TAKE A MIRACLE. :)

If that is the amount of money that they are prepared to spend on foreign ATC's, why not spend it on us locals, hardly anyone will then leave.

...or does it benefit somebody (sumbodies)to have the foreign ATC's rather than locals. Lets check who's driving a ...? Hmmm
Should we involve the Scorpions? LOL

Skyjuggler
24th Jan 2009, 11:35
Sorry to rub it in, but I've had some good time off, so I haven't posted.:oh:
Seems like there are a good bunch of people upset aboutt this... I guess tho, the bottom line is, is something actually being done? Do the people at the head of the snake know about it?
Just for inerterst, how many poeple in other centres are standing by for dates for the Emirates? Are we on the brink of another mass exodus?:ooh:

ORANPO
25th Jan 2009, 14:25
6 from js combined area pool, just went 2 the farewell on friday for 2 approach guys, apparently 5 at js app waiting 4 start dates. They will never learn! Wait till june, then the fun starts! OOMS OMDB OMAA EDDF An even VHHH are desperately looking.

scottie525
27th Jan 2009, 11:08
Hi people..could somebody, who knows what they are talking about, please contact me via pm...I am interested in info regarding ATCO employment in RSA for a period of 3 to 4 years before I retire. Prefer location DBN

Murdoch007
28th Jan 2009, 21:19
ORANPO,

are you saying this 'flow control' is soon to be a thing of the past. What I hear is that everyone is waiting on start dates. So there will be nobody left to enforce Flow Control Restrictions, instead we will ask the pilots to broadcast TIBA.

'Goodday XXX001, broadcast TIBA frequencies for the nxt 40nm, the airspace formerly known as the FAJS TMA.
P.S. traffic is....10 from the south, 12 from the north of which 4 is not broadcasting on the correct frequency. Good luck and God bless.'LOL ;)

skybound1
29th Jan 2009, 18:37
Murdoch 007
That's brilliant LOL
:ok::ok::ok::ok: