PDA

View Full Version : cheap flying needed - tailwheel group share? Easy reach of Hemel Hempstead area

rusty sparrow
17th Jan 2009, 08:17
Anything going? Not a microlight - hours have to count for PPL. My current group is disbanding and the acft (Jodel) looks like it will be sold very soon - just as a good summer seems to be on the cards!

Anything cheap but sound?

Duchess_Driver
17th Jan 2009, 17:35
There is a share in a Cub at Denham. PM me if interested.

Dan Dare
17th Jan 2009, 19:15
Sorry, but there is no such thing as cheap flying unless someone else is paying. If you want lots of hours for little money then you'll struggle to do better than a VW single seater (yes, all the hours coun on your PPL and towards any CPL issue).

There are many Luton Minors, Turbulents, Jodel D9s, Taylor Monos etc dottd around. I they are syndicated as a group then you share the fixed costs and bring the hourly rate down even further. I you fly lots then the coss of flying tends towards the cost of fuel, which can be as little as £10 per hour. I fly for about £35 per hour all in. If I flew more often the hourly rate would reduce towards £25. Have a look on Afors (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=browse&cat=GROUP&sec=&loc=&make=&age=&price=&adage=&needle=&search=search).

rusty sparrow
17th Jan 2009, 19:30
I have looked at one and it's a possible - but I'd also like to be able take passengers. Thanks for the afors suggestion - I'll take a look.

djtaylor
18th Jan 2009, 15:18
we have a share in a condor at White waltham available which is not too far from HH and a nice airfield with a full range of services which clearly cost more than being based on a farm strip. if you are interested please send me a PM

foxmoth
18th Jan 2009, 15:23
Sorry, but there is no such thing as cheap flying unless someone else is paying.

Cheap is a relative term, our Goodwood base Falconar (Similar to a 2 seat Jodel) works out around £60/hr or so if you fly 4 hours/month, less the more you fly and certainly cheap flying compared to any of the club machines around! In fact even just flying an hour a month will end up cheaper than hiring from the club:ok:

Airbus Girl
18th Jan 2009, 19:21
When I was hour building I paid around £6 per hour wet + around £25 a month for as much flying as I liked (and yes, I did a few hundred hours), that was in a single seater, I also found a 4 seater abroad for which I paid around £25 an hour wet.

So don't say that there is no cheap flying - there is, if you don't want all the shiny mod cons but are happy with something basic.