PDA

View Full Version : I have a JAA CPL with SEP and wanting to Fly in the USA on holiday

Jinkster
16th Jan 2009, 18:03
I have a JAA CPL with valid SEP rating and wanting to go flying in Florida on holiday.

Does anyone know about license conversions? What do I need to do? Do I need an M1 visa?

This is purely holiday/ vacation not training or commercial!!

Thanks in advance!

Justiciar
16th Jan 2009, 18:22
This has been done so many times on here and elsewhere. You get a piggy back licence based on your JAA one.

Get form from FAA and send back to them, nominating a local FAA ofice from where you will collect your licence in person - send CAA form to CAA authorising release of information confirming your personal and licence details (and pay extortionate CAA fee) - present yourself at your nominated FAA office in the US with your JAA licence and collect FAA Certificate - do BFR with training organisation in US (as part of check ride for hire).

Sportys do a good CD ROM on preparing for your Biennial Flight Review!

No visa required as you are not training for a licence or rating. Allow a good few weeks for this process - I am not sure of what the current delay is.

BackPacker
16th Jan 2009, 19:25
Justiciar, why did you not also include the link? Now this thread once more sits at the top... :-)

Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

If it's just a flying holiday, no M1 visa is required, just as justiciar said. Also, no TSA clearance is needed.

flybymike
17th Jan 2009, 00:09
This is a discussion forum. Virtually everything has been discussed before. There is absolutely no harm in anyone asking a civil question and expecting a civil answer without the "search police" descending on them . There is no harm either, in asking for personal advice in addition to what may have been posted before (which may well be out of date anyway.)

Rant off

xj8driver
25th Jan 2009, 11:33
Nice to see that some people really don't mind answering a question, albeit one that may have been asked before, instead of casting their eyes upwards and sighing "oh no, not this one again..! "

For what it's worth, I treat this forum just as though I'm sitting in the flying club chatting to fellow pilots, that is, asking questions and sometimes even answering them. I'm sure that every instructor has heard the same questions asked over and over again, but they're happy to answer them over and over again - even though the answer can be found in one of the numerous CAA publications, websites or forums like this one.

Fly safe :)