PDA

View Full Version : RIS - clock code vs compass points

tmmorris
15th Jan 2009, 17:43
Today Brize were giving me a RIS and calling traffic by compass points (e.g. Traffic NE, southbound, same level) rather than clock code. I was under the impression that they would only do this if you were manoeuvring, and that cruising (as I was) on a steady heading they would give clock code.

Could this be because the wind was strong, and therefore my wind correction angle would make their estimates of clock code wrong? (They didn't know my actual heading - I forgot to say and they didn't ask.) Wind correction was around 30 deg cruising at 90 knots in an underpowered DR400...

Tim

rug-rats
15th Jan 2009, 22:29
It could be to do with the computer virus that's "stuffed" their system up, it was on News at Ten!

flybymike
15th Jan 2009, 23:24
Traffic info seems to be passed to me using either clock or compass mode depending on the whim of the controller. Personal preference would be for the clock mode.

Duchess_Driver
16th Jan 2009, 06:46
...in a turn.....

"Traffic 12 o'clock, correction 11 o'clock, correction 10 o'clock, correction 9 o'clock......"

Doesn't quite work does it?

tmmorris
16th Jan 2009, 07:54
Well no. But as I was heading 116 for about 40 miles that shouldn't have been a problem!

Tim

172driver
16th Jan 2009, 07:59
Have had both, personally much prefer clock code, find it more precise. Unless manoeuvring, of course.

PS: same goes for wind. Over the years I've had a few controllers call wind on final in the compass point format. Hate it.... :=

Red Four
16th Jan 2009, 08:52
I must try that - "Clear to land, surface wind two o'clock 15 knots, varying between one o'clock and half past three!"

172driver
16th Jan 2009, 09:02
Red Four, point taken ;) should perhaps have been clearer. What I meant was wind reported not as, say, 340/10, but as NW at 10. Nothing to do with the clock....

kalleh
16th Jan 2009, 09:49
I must try that - "Clear to land, surface wind two o'clock 15 knots, varying between one o'clock and half past three!"
Actually, I like that!

ShyTorque
16th Jan 2009, 09:55
I can respond to either but I sometimes have trouble with the "right ten o'clock" or "left two o'clock" ;)

stiknruda
16th Jan 2009, 15:35
"right ten o'clock" or "left two o'clock"

Didn't realise that "clattering palm-trees" could maintain S&L inverted flight:E

Chilli Monster
16th Jan 2009, 18:55
I can respond to either but I sometimes have trouble with the "right ten o'clock" or "left two o'clock"

We're just trying to confuse you and make your day more interesting.

Clock code if steady track, cardinal point if manoeuvring is how I play the game. Wind doesn't actually get taken into account so take all indications based on track, not heading.

ShyTorque
16th Jan 2009, 20:09
We're just trying to confuse you and make your day more interesting.

I'm not often that bored ;)

stiknruda
16th Jan 2009, 23:56
I'm not often that bored

From spring chicken to .... and no boredom, you are a fortunate fellow.

Hyperborean
17th Jan 2009, 11:48
In the days of my youth there was, allegedly, a controller who called traffic in cricket field terminology. He once gave traffic as "In your mid on at 5 miles." The puzzled pilot responded, "Erm. Am I batting or bowling?"

matspart3
17th Jan 2009, 12:05
I've been party to the following..

ATC "Traffic 10 O'clock, same direction, similar level...."
A/C a few minutes later "Er....we can see one in our 2 O'clock, is that him?"
ATC "Yes, sorry, I've got my digital watch on..."

whowhenwhy
18th Jan 2009, 16:27
TM you are, as usual, spot on!

I believe that the Brize LEO has some work to do :E