PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Requena (Spain) Or Stapleford Essex

rogerthat777
15th Jan 2009, 16:27
Wondering which would be the better option for PPL training, has anyone had any experiences with cabair's new spanish base?

Ta

Whopity
16th Jan 2009, 12:26
Stapleford - busy RT environment, you might learn something
Requina - No RT; there is a box on stilts where all the students congregate and use as a crewroom, supposedly there is a radio in there but nobody qualified to use it!

172driver
16th Jan 2009, 13:50
Requina - No RT

Not necessarily. Cannot comment on the school itself, but Requena sits right next to the Valencia (LEVC) zone. The Spanish are nowhere near as anal as the Brits regarding CAS - nor probs with training flights in CAS -, so you'll probably end up learning more. And the weather, the weather.......;)

Shortflyer
18th Jan 2009, 17:19
As a former cabair student at requena i'd go to stapleford. After about 15 hours it is boring and there are no more challenges. As for the previous comment regarding CAS in spain thats bolloxxx. As for the rt, it is basic ground air radio and nowhere near what you need to do in the uk. Hope this helps.:ok:

172driver
18th Jan 2009, 17:32
CAS in spain thats bolloxxx

If so, then you'd have your instructors or the school to blame.....

LH2
19th Jan 2009, 02:40
If so, then you'd have your instructors or the school to blame.....

Indeed. :hmm: What a wasted opportunity.

Just based on that I would suggest the other place in Essex (or there is always Fly-in-Spain, Jerez)

DavidHoul52
19th Jan 2009, 20:25
Stapleford is indeed a busy little airfield. Surprising that the radio is only A/G. Apparently they think that if they upgrade it will scare the locals into closing down the place.

The runway on a slope is also a fun challenge, as is the possibility of being diverted on your take off run but deep muddy ruts on the runway. Also the sun in your eyes on finals on runway 22 this time of the year.

I reckon it has the biggest collection of ageing Cessna's in the country. Perhaps its where they all come to retire. (Never say die).

Ignore nutters like me who informatively radio "Traffic seen ahead on the M25!".

moggiee
21st Jan 2009, 13:20
Cabair are "restructuring" their business - their overseas operations may be reducing/closing/relocating as a result.