PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer 200

netjetter
15th Jan 2009, 13:49
Good afternoon,

A colleague recently purchased a new Pioneer 200 Ultralight from Alpi Aviatin (Italy). He showed me some pictures and told me a bit about the aeroplane and I was quite impressed. He said it climbs at 1000ft/min, cruises at 100 knots whilst burning about 15 litres of petrol. He said it also handles just like a "real aeroplane".

In the UK you can get it as a kit VLA with 520kg MTOM (LAA permit) or 450kg as a factory built microlight.

Does anybody have any experience with regards to that particular type, or possibly the more complex Pioneer 300?

I am also considering the Tecnams or Eurostars but hear they are a bit on the heavy side, especially as microlight.

Any thoughts?

Rod1
15th Jan 2009, 14:40
I have flown the 300 in a back to back comparison with my MCR01. It is a good aircraft with excellent handling, but the disappearing Dunlops do not give it the speed advantage you would expect (it was slower than my MCR fixed gear club on the same engine with similar tec props).

Rod1

tmmorris
15th Jan 2009, 17:45
Funnily enough I parked next to one today (don't know if it was 200 or 300) at Gloucester. It looked lovely but walking back from the terminal after tea and seeing two full-sized men inside, it looked rather snug - 152-snug, rather than DR400-snug even, let alone PA28 spacious.

T

netjetter
16th Jan 2009, 10:10
Thanks for the replies guys. I am not surprised that the MCR01 is faster than the P300. The P300 was always meant to be a microlight and achieve the 35knots stall speed that they need to demonstrate. The MCR, as far as I know was not originally designed as microlight but they do offer a larer wingspan version with slotted flaps to achieve that stall speed. the MCR also has a weight advantage due to its carbon fibre construction.
Yes, the Pioneers are good looking aerplanes. The 300 more so than the 200. But I am after a simple and inexpensive machine that is quick enough for a bit of touring without the comlexities and cost of composite construction, variabe pitch props and retractable undercarriage.

Anybod else with thoughts on the Pioneer 200? There are a few of them around so I assume some people must know something....?

Justiciar
16th Jan 2009, 10:43
without the comlexities and cost of composite construction, variabe pitch props and retractable undercarriage

I think you may be being influenced by the comparable costs in a certified aircraft. The Pioneer 300's retractable undercarriage is very simple to operate; likewise the prop, which is electrically controlled and in normal operation involves one switch to change between take off/landing and cruise. As for composite construction, the wings are wood and plywood covered in the Hawk version of the 300; earlier versions had fabric covering on part of the wings and tail. The rear part of the fuselage is composite, but there is no additional complexity or cost here.

The Hawk has a MAUW of 560 kg and earlier versions can be upgraded to this by installing the Hawk nose leg. I have done that myself.

It is true that the MCR01 is faster. However, I understand that it is a bit more unforgiving on approach if you get the speed wrong (no I haven't flown one, I am going from reports and write-ups). The Pioneer is remarkable for the way it retains very good control authority at low speed, and typically will touch down at around 50 kts. It will fly happily at 135kts for 18 litres per hour of mogas, so its useful speed range is huge (120 kts will burn up 15 litre per hour).

There are usually one or two available on the second hand market at any one time, with wide range of prices depending on instrument spec, but £45k - £50k will get you a good example.

Fake Sealion
16th Jan 2009, 13:08
I fly a group 300. Having shortlisted many a/c before this.
Agree with justiciar's comments about performance and economy. Also the simplicity and reliability of the u/c and variable prop.
The cockpit is suprisingly spacious, stick and rudder are comfortably positioned, headroom is no problem, seats are well designed.
I am 6' 1" tall, another group pilot is taller.
Have not flown the 200 but the 300 does seem worth the extra ££ and they are available second hand.

Depends of course what sort of flying you want to do.

FS