PDA

View Full Version : Jet Lag shrinks the brain....

Cyclic Hotline
21st May 2001, 08:48
This is your stewardess speaking. Er, where are we going?

BY DAVID CHARTER, HEALTH CORRESPONDENT (Times)

AIR crew suffer from memory loss and disorientation because repeated jet lag shrinks the brain, scientists have found.
The discovery may also have implications for other people whose sleep patterns are disrupted regularly, such as shift workers and parents with young children. The shrinkage affects the brain’s right temporal lobe, which is involved in visual recognition and spatial memory.

Regular long-haul flying appears to increase the production of the stress hormone cortisol which may be responsible for the shrinkage, according to a research team from the University of Bristol medical school who scanned the brains of airline crew with five years’ flying experience. Crew members who had long intervals between long-haul trips did not seem to suffer.

The tests were conducted on female crew members, because women appeared to suffer more acute jet lag than men.

Evidence of impaired thinking ability in cabin crews had already emerged in a previous study by the team led by Kwangwook Cho. For the new study, they used magnetic resonance imaging to measure the brain volumes of 20 women, aged 22 to 28, who had five-year careers with international airlines and flew across at least seven time zones.

The study measured short-term memory and cognition, both functions of the right temporal lobe, and found significant deficits. Cognition tests involved understanding and differentiating between simple symbols, such as the design of the American and British flags. To measure memory, the women were asked to recall the location of dots on a computer screen after 20 to 50-minute intervals.

Results published in the journal Nature Neuroscience concluded: “Salivary cortisol levels in cabin crew after repeated exposure to jet lag were significantly higher than after short distance flights, and the higher cortisol levels were associated with cognitive deficits.

“The present study demonstrates that significant prolonged cortisol elevations produced reduced temporal lobe volume and deficits in spatial learning and memory.”

Other research has shown that chronic high cortisol levels due to severe depression and post-traumatic stress is associated with temporal lobe shrinkage. Jet lag is a condition suffered by many people who travel over time zones characterized by fatigue, disorientation and disrupted sleep. Dr Cho said that he had left men out of the sample group because they appeared to suffer less acute jet lag.

It was not known how long the brain changes persisted, or whether they were reversible.Dr Cho added: “I found there was no deficit of language, but certain short-term objective memory and very simple abstract cognition was quite bad.”

MasterGreen
21st May 2001, 09:06
That explains it then ...

Zeke
21st May 2001, 13:17
Alcohol consumption and reduced oxygen levels (at altitude) also lead to reduced brain size.

I wonder if pilots will have a higher risk of developing dementia and Parkinson’s disease ?

The next 20 years will tell.

:rolleyes:

gravity victim
21st May 2001, 13:43
Just as well that all pilots start out with
an extra-large one then! :)

rock_the_tower
21st May 2001, 14:38
Now we have the wise answer !

Ronchonner/Arnaud have had an indefinite jet-lag syndrome. No brain, no pain, n'est-ce pas, Ronchi & Arnaud?

Cheers

rtt

Wig Wag
21st May 2001, 14:40
I could havt told them that. It's hardly rocket science. You only have to experience long haul to know that crews are half cut on lack of sleep. The same goes, to a lesser extent, for night flying and repetative early shifts. Neither are good for your health and it behoves a decent employer to address these issues as best they can.

This research, nonetheless, is much needed by the airline community.

XcessiveG
21st May 2001, 15:33
Shrinks a what?

twistedenginestarter
21st May 2001, 17:33
Sample of twenty????? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif I think the bloke who allowed the study to be published is the one with the dodgy brain ;)

Underdog
21st May 2001, 23:41
My wife said just this morning that my 'brain' was looking smaller!

...but after some rest it got bigger again!

;-)

Underdog

TowerDog
21st May 2001, 23:56
...and that is why we deserve a pay rise every now and then: Brain shrinks away and..
uh, forgot the rest.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Shagtastic
22nd May 2001, 01:13
As long as it's only our brains that shrink!

Stratocaster
22nd May 2001, 17:11
They forgot just one little thing: it's highly contagious !

Those who suffer most from it are those who are the less exposed to jet-lag: airline managers !

:)

energiser
23rd May 2001, 00:47
Women.....know your place!!

OneWorld22
23rd May 2001, 02:43
Ooops, I've forgotten what I was going to say...!