PDA

View Full Version : On the Job Training Instructors

airac
14th Jan 2009, 18:00
Can anyone shed some light on the following.
Many ATCO's were granted OJTI tickets on Grandfather rights.
Is there a proposal to remove these tickets and thus ensure that everyone has attended an approved OJTI course?

man friday
14th Jan 2009, 18:08
only problem would be if they removed all the ojti endorsements from those with grandfather rights you'd probably loose most of the instructors from the ojti course itself!!!

porra
14th Jan 2009, 18:43
Someone else who didn't read the "thread Titles" thread...:ugh:

ILS 119.5
14th Jan 2009, 19:26
Goatface sorry you are a typical NATS ******. A lot of the instructrors at the colege are still current (ROVIS). So their experience is still good. Don't be a typical NATS ****** and think you are the best, and that is the trouble with the instructors there now. That is why the industry is in the **** because of arrogant people like you

Lon More
14th Jan 2009, 20:53
Goat face. I thought i was a dinosaur til I read that.I hope they don't allow you in the same ops room as the trainees.
It's not a question of what you know, nor even who you know. It's how you impart that knowledge; how you react to the student's needs - building them up when they are shaky, deflating them a bit when they get too cocky. There is very little mention made of ATC in the OJTI courses I have seen. It's all to do with man-management. Have you ever been on such a course? I don't think so

airac
14th Jan 2009, 21:43
Porra
Someone else who didn't read the "thread Titles" thread...

European (UK) On the Job Training Instructors
Sorry :ok:

Please can we avoid a slanging match we are surely all entitled to our opinions.

Whilst I don't have a specific gripe ,I ask the question where will it all end?
How often will assessors need to be assessed?
Will verifiers need verification on a regular basis?
Will LCE's continue to be checked for competency?
And what’s more important will there actually be any time to train the trainees?

Gonzo
14th Jan 2009, 22:10
Goatface,

I attended what was for me a 'refresher' OJTI course in Bournemouth early last year. I was an active OJTI with over 5 years experience. There was a colleague of mine who had been an OJTI at his previous unit, and was soon to start instructing at LHR. The other six on the course were 'newbie OJTIs' if I can use the phrase.

It was invaluable to me, both as an ATCO and an OJTI. To be able to get some fresh, new ideas on training from my coursemates was fantastic, as was going back to basics and re-learning the textbook techniques. Yes, of course some of the techniques taught on the full OJTI course can not be applied at my current unit, but it did me no harm at all to be exposed to them, and prctice them myself.

If I was to carry out an in house refresher at my unit, it would frankly be much more of a tick in the box exercise and I wouldn't improve my technique much at all.

I also believe that, not to blow my own trumpet, that my coursemates who were soon to begin instructing for the first time, gained something from my prescence too.

Barnaby the Bear
14th Jan 2009, 22:16
As i understand it, all OJTI's will be required to complete a refresher course every 3 years. Whether this involves attending an approved college or the approved college visiting the unit.
This will be mandatory for all OJTI's in order to continue training others.
Trying to find a link. But this is happening. :8

Jerricho
15th Jan 2009, 03:36
that my coursemates who were soon to begin instructing for the first time, gained something from my prescence too.

Impeccable dress sense?

;)

Gonzo
15th Jan 2009, 07:22
Impeccable dress sense?

Sir,

One finds that more often than not one is unable to pass that sort of genius on to those not already possessing some talent in that area.

Lon More
15th Jan 2009, 07:53
Jerricho and Gonzo - it is fortunate that you are so widely separated. Should you ever get together under one roof the phrase "Marx Brothers" comes to mind. :p

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jan 2009, 08:09
I had been an OJTI at Heathrow back in the 80s but then "lapsed" for many years, largely because I didn't enjoy it. In those days, once one had been validated for a few years one was suddenly told "Fred is joining the watch; you are his Training Officer", which tended to fill people like me with abject terror.

When we moved to West Drayton Open Prison in 1993 (that's 16 years ago) there was a lack of OJTIs so I was asked to get teaching again. As a requirement I had to go to Hurn for an OJTI Course and it was the best thing which ever happened to me. It provided me with a structured method of training and debriefing trainees, something I had never been taught before.

I think they did a damned fine job at Bournemouth and I found subsequent training almost enjoyable..

niknak
15th Jan 2009, 12:58
I advocate the refresher courses although every 3 years seems a little excessive and ineviatebly will be very expensive for the airports.
It had been mooted that the Colleges could send instructors to the airports, but, for a change, I concur with His Gonzoness, a lot can be gained from refresher courses.
The college environment is a the appropriate place for such courses, not only can one pass on ones infinent wisdom to others but it allows an open discussion of ideas (and a few days on the bevvy at someone elses expense;)).

Jerricho
15th Jan 2009, 14:44
Wise guy eh.........

It's very easy to "forget" how to train someone, especially if you haven't done it for a while. And all the tree hugging, warm fluffy buzz word for the month positive whatevers aside, sometimes a new idea or a different slant on training springs up. I know I've benefited from simply sitting behind somebody else watching their training technique.

jangler909
17th Jan 2009, 00:49
Just a quick question; do you people get paid (and how much) for OJTI duties? (We get 40% extra for every hour instructed.)

Neptune262
17th Jan 2009, 05:45
€300 extra per month - whether training or not

man friday
17th Jan 2009, 06:49
Sweet F.A.!

niknak
19th Jan 2009, 13:00
We have a system where you can opt out of doing OJTI if you don't want to do it, no reason has to be given.
Those who agree to do OJTI get an extra 1% on salary, regardless of whether they are undertaking the task or not.