PDA

View Full Version : Wing engine scan lights - are they necessary?

whatsisname
13th Jan 2009, 21:52
First post on Pprune, here goes...

Wing icing detection lights are an equipment requirement for certification on large aeroplanes (JAR 25.1403 Wing icing detection lights) what however is the requirement regarding dispatch with these lights non operating.
What is the general requirement for MEL, are there any regulations that prohibit dispatch without these lights (at night)

Any info / links worth looking at, would be most welcome.

THANKS.

411A
13th Jan 2009, 22:57
Wing inspection lights.
Most useful on the L1011, at night, at the parking bay....to help keep the ground folks from ramming the leading edge or engine with the boarding stairs.:}

safetypee
14th Jan 2009, 12:57
If the wing ice inspection lights are an essential part of the aircraft certification for flying in icing conditions then it would be expected that they are not an allowable MEL item except to dispatch in non icing conditions (daylight) or where ice is not forecast. A Flight Ops Evaluation Board – Regulator, Manufacturer, and Operators agree the MMEL.
More likely, on modern aircraft, there are alternative means of detecting ice and these can arguably replace the wing lights for short periods; if so, then the lights could be in the MEL.

whatsisname
14th Jan 2009, 15:23
Thanks guys, your input here is really appreciated.

I guess as much as the MMEL, MEL requirments I am equally interested in just how useful you think these lights are, hence I liked the answer from 411A ! :)

Keep your thoughts coming.

QA1
14th Jan 2009, 18:38
http://www.opspecs.com/AFSDATA/MMELs/Final/transport/

Intruder
14th Jan 2009, 19:20
They are useful at night both airborne and on the ground to look for engine nacelle and wing leading edge ice.

On the 747 they are not required unless airline procedures require them for anti-icing inspection. However, they have to be fixed within 10 days.

VShadow
29th Jan 2009, 21:40
:ok:well guys, i fly A320, here is my experience from previous operators also.
WING ICE lights are excellent for checking on ICE on the wings leading edges in the night, good for lighting up during your night walk around. but mostly we use those lights especially during night due to the fact that if you have an unprepared or prepared evacuation then your wings are lighted for the passengers during the overwing evacuation progress, as passengers will be jumping down the front part of the wing also , so it is a safety factor, as for the MEL, it says dring day light you can dispatch with both lights inop, however for night time only one can be inop, so that you have 1 light to check your wings if you have to look outside in the night time.