PDA

View Full Version : Emirates?!?

hightower1986
13th Jan 2009, 19:41
Hi im flying Uk to Sydney with emirates via Dubai was wondering if anyone has done the same in economy? do they have lap top chargers handy etc? can you plug your usb into the monitor in front? any tips or info greatly appreciated, cheers

jethrobee
13th Jan 2009, 22:17
I don't think any of the airlines have power for laptops in economy, the closest is BA premium economy.

You might of course be lucky on the new A380.

Dryce
13th Jan 2009, 22:49
Emirates have USB and power connectors on some aircraft in economy.

You can check their website for your route/date. It's the 'new generation' economy seats that have these facilities. ISTR they're on some of the 777-300s and A380.

nivsy
14th Jan 2009, 20:34
Hope your economy travel on Emirates is better value than business class - at least in the opinion of my "one who knows better"

She was not too talkative about it - but said business class on the A380 from LHR to DXB was "ok" - apart from not having a couple of food items that was written on the menu card (of course it was what she wanted), receiving food that was cold when it was supposed to be hot - and receiving service from cabin crew who appeared to have a "take it or leave it" attitude.

The 777 down to Perth was given full marks for crew, food and comfort (the joys of flat bed). The A340 back to DXB from Perth was in her words "not very good" with limited or no privacy and "no flat bed" while the service back on the A380 was marginally better than the outbound.

Nivsy

MidmarMile
15th Jan 2009, 09:00
I've just returned from JNB (Johannesburg) - DXB - SYD - DXB - JNB, so I don't have much to offer on the UK - DXB leg but here goes on the rest.

Emirates have 2 flights DXB - SYD one is a 777-300 the other A340-500. The 777 stops in Bangkok (BKK) for 1 hour to refuel and change crew. On the way to SYD you have to disembark, wait 40 mins and then reboard, but on the way back you may stay on the plane if you wish. The airbus flight is direct. I don't know when you are flying, but they are due to start the A380 on this route very soon.

As to the in flight entertainment system (ICE) only the newer versions have power & USB at each seat in economy (Yes, in economy!). As far as I as aware the USB port is to plug in ipods etc. and view/listen through the planes system.

If you go to the Emirates web site ( Emirates | Welcome to Emirates.com (http://emirates.com) ), hold your mouse over "Flying with Emirates", click on "Services by Flight" you can then enter your flight no. and date of travel and check the services. If it mentions the ICE system you are out of luck, but if it mentions the "ICE Digital Widescreen" system then they should have power + USB.

Ask if you want any more info.

Cheers