PDA

View Full Version : Angola

Jetdriver69
13th Jan 2009, 12:52
I have a possible flight to Luanda next week. Is the security issues as bleak as is reported by the State Dept and some private security services? I am pushing for a morning arrival instead of a late night landing for safety reasons. Any problems with customs or services? Any recommendation on hotels? I heard the Tropico is the only place to stay. Thanks.

Jet

Choppie
13th Jan 2009, 16:44
Well actually there are a few good hotels in Luanda. It's quite a big place. If you have a good handler then accommodation, custom, fuel etc won't be a problem. They do it all for you. Phone Walter Pascoal at Global Support. Email: [email protected]

Pitch&Fan
15th Jan 2009, 09:54
Hi there,

Operations into Luanda are really not as bad as so many make them out to be, and ATC is improving by the day.

The trick with ATC is to use very well pronounced ICAO standard R/T. Also consider carefully explaining what you want, IE: "Request routing direct to LU, for the NDB/ILS Runway 23."

One should also bare in mind that Luanda is a very busy airport with Heli-ops, charter, cargo, Military, and scheduled airlines all operating in procedural airspace. The big thing is to exercise patience on arrival. I can also recommend carrying enough fuel for a 45 min hold during arrival. This will quite probably not be needed, but often means the difference between landing and diverting.

The Hotels in Luanda are fine, and I have stayed in the Alvelada, which was just fine. The Tropico is also a good hotel.

Traffic is wild on the roads, so plan for a good hour and a half drive to the airport.

Expect a fairly strange, non-standard type departure clearance when leaving. I suggest copying it while stationary, and be prepared to write. A normal clearance to Jo'burg Ex LAD can be something like this:

SA123 cleared from LAD to JNB on track 143. After take-off track 232 degrees to 8d, turn right, and climb to 8000'. After passing overhead station, track direct position XXX"

This means... After take off, maintain runway track to 8d, then turn right to set heading direct to position xxx from overhead the airfield. Climb to and maintain 8000'.

Be careful when crossing the other runway!!

Just keep it nice and cool... The ATCs are really trying hard to up the standard at LAD.

GHASSIST are handlers at LAD.

Take some shorts for your off time... the place gets HOT.

Cheers,

Pitch&Fan

CJ750
16th Jan 2009, 10:54
I agree with all the replies above and would like to ad that the surface of the taxiway and apron are not very good. Global support are very good but phone them with your eta from the plane . DO NOT DRINK THE WATER FROM THE TAPS IN THE HOTELS, NOT EVEN ICE.

Otherwise not a bad stop over. Try and ask the handler if there will be any VIP movements at your ETA as they close the airportfor long periods of time.

ENJOY he he :}