PDA

View Full Version : Slot times at Dubai, maybe Abu Dhabi?

ATCO1962
11th Jan 2009, 12:43
Sorry, guys, I must have hit the wrong button and deleted my original post. Basically, I was asking why we haven't introduced slot times for Dubai as traffic levels are approaching crazy at certain times of the day. I indicated that the other night, we had about 80 aircraft on our screens, either live traffic or traffic that had just left Oman's airspace or was about to enter.

It seems logical that we should try and space the aircraft more evenly through the day, even though that does violence to the concept of hubbing. However, it's only going to take a few bad WX days or a major incident that closes the airport for several hours, with all the alternate airfields unable to take the overflow, to see the house of cards come tumbling down.

How can we collectively start the ball rolling?

BlueSkye
12th Jan 2009, 04:49
Take the ball and put it back in your pocket 'cause Emirates and her handler will never allow it. Sorry for the short answer.

You guys can always increase your spacing into your airspace from DXB and AUH. Maybe 30nm or thereabouts. UAE ACC can not institute flow because they'll be in a spot of trouble. But if OOMM does it the big wigs can rant and rave but there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.

TheFalcon
12th Jan 2009, 07:41
I totally agree with BlueSkye. The need is there but the reality is otherwise; the truth is that as long as planes get airborne and they get there safely nobody gives a buck about the delays. It's a state of mind here in the middle east to let things happen before acting. Efficiency and waste are certainly not in the equation as most certainly is the workload on the controllers not even considered!:ugh:

flowman
14th Jan 2009, 16:06
Visits have been or are shortly to be made by CFMU staff at the request of Abu Dhabi/Dubai. It seems they are thinking about a local flow control cell.

Short Approach?
14th Jan 2009, 18:48
5 year timeframe though, but it's better than nothing.

flowman
15th Jan 2009, 09:38
We could do it from Brussels with for summer 2010.
I'm sure politics would prevent that from happening though.
India and China are also interested in setting up flow units, we could take over the world!:ouch:

flowman
15th Jan 2009, 17:56
I know enough to know that politics would make it impossible.
I could say more but I won't.