PDA

View Full Version : Student ATC Licence - Is it any useful when looking for a trainee job?

NancyBlackett
10th Jan 2009, 14:48
Greetings guys & girls,

Elsewhere I did not find a thread discussing this topic thoroughly enough, sorry...

I am an unsuccessful ex-trainee, who thinks she has grown up a bit and learned from her previous mistakes and who wants - oh yes - to be an air traffic controller more than anything.

As I was fired in the pre-OJT phase of the training, having previously finished the basic course successfully, I am holding a Student Air Traffic Controller Licence, ACP/ACS rating category (it says Issued according to ICAO and Eurocontrol standards on it).
Is this piece of paper worth anything? I know you must have it when working OJT, but otherwise ...? Will any European organization providing ATC services consider it a plus or is more of a proof of a failed training, thus of inability to become a controller?

I know of people who hold student licence being accepted to OJT training at smaller airfields (usually not controlled by the main ATC organization in the country), unfortunately, this is not of any use to me with no TWR/APP training.

Thanks for your opinions, have a great day! :-)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jan 2009, 16:09
You would need that Student Licence to undertake training at any licenced ATC Unit so it would hardly be looked upon as some sort of "failure".

I don't know your circumstances, but I trained lots of people in my time.. many of whom failed for a variety of reasons. It was upsetting both for them and their training officers but I tried to get them to understand that every ATC Unit and every ATC Position is different and whilst they may not have made the grade at one unit they might turn out to be very capable at another.... as, indeed, several did.

Good luck with whatever you do....