PDA

View Full Version : Slot times for Dubai/ maybe Abu Dhabi

ATCO1962
10th Jan 2009, 09:30
Is there any serious talk on the UAE side of the border of introducing slot times for arriving aircraft, particularly for Dubai, so that we can effectively space the nightly logjam of traffic over a wider period of time?

The current "flow control" measures that we've introduced aren't that effective and we're spiralling out of control at times on the Muscat side of the border. It's only going to get worse with increasing fleet sizes, poor WX, etc.

Last night, between wiping the tears from my eyes and wheezing between the odd breath that I could get in, I counted 80 aircraft at the same time on my screen, either in our sector or on the fringes, about to enter or just having left.

:uhoh::uhoh:

W.O.Bentley
10th Jan 2009, 15:08
The short answer is no.

The long answer is nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo.

There have been some discussions about it but the problem is getting consensus not just amongst the airlines but the ANS providers within the region and can't see that happening anytime soon.:{

But stranger things have happened.:ok:

SOPS
10th Jan 2009, 16:42
ATCO...I asm not trying to be funny here..how big is your screen, I mean what area are you covering, just out of interest?

ATCO1962
10th Jan 2009, 17:28
My post probably conveyed the wrong sense that all those aircraft were in one or around one sector. It is actually three area sectors and they are large. If you look at a map, Oman radar coverage basically extends over the geographical limits of the Sultanate plus a bit over the sea towards the north, east and south. It's not so much that it's crammed, it's the sheer number of aircraft on a single frequency, often over 30 at a time. That's silliness. With Emirates only about one third of the way through its growth program, delays, incidents and the like can only increase. Not to mention all the other ME carriers and their similar aspirations of glory.

ruserious
15th Jan 2009, 08:40
Sounds to me like your infrastructure could do with a bit of a make over ATCO. Is the lack of facilities/manpower/airspace design a problem that should be shifted to the airlines, or does your system need extensively updated?

White Knight
15th Jan 2009, 10:25
Well SS - I guess he's just being careful not to slide off into the grass:\

MrMachfivepointfive
16th Jan 2009, 17:40
ATCO, No offense... but wouldn't it help if you and the AUH guys would swallow their pride and actually TALK to each other? The PAPAR and MIADA issues (okay that's departure - not arrival) are straight from Monthy Python.

PositiveRate876
16th Jan 2009, 18:19
but coming into Dubai is much more ordered these days.

Unless something is out of the ordinary and then dolly house mash up.

Example, New Year's Eve.
2000m vis and DESDI hold is full!
Abu Dhabi claiming "Delay Undetermined" while planes are landing.

Let's see 6min x 9 AC in the hold = 54 minute delay.
No calculators at the UAE Centre? :ugh:

White Knight
16th Jan 2009, 19:18
So Bubin was empty on New Years Eve - come on +iverate, you know that 2 UAE sectors can't talk to each other, let alone letting DXB in on the act!!!!

Rule3
16th Jan 2009, 21:21
Mr Machfivepointfive,if you could explain what you mean, :confused: then perhaps someone could provide an informed answer.:ok:

BlueSkye
17th Jan 2009, 04:13
The PAPAR and MIADA issues (okay that's departure - not arrival) are straight from Monthy Python.

You can have PAPAR again the moment Iran gives those islands back.
The UAE military has also agreed to relinquish all control of their airspace and cease any military aviation activities. MIADA is therefore back as well.

777-200LR
17th Jan 2009, 17:55
I think the whole problem is the pissing contest that UAE CENTRE and DXB ARRIVAL have with each other. "Comply with the STAR speed and contact 124.9", the minute you change over "There are no speed restrictions". So you slowed down and so will the guys behind you, all when there was absolutely no need.

Wiley
18th Jan 2009, 03:44
I think the whole problem is the pissing contest that UAE CENTRE and DXB ARRIVAL have with each other. From what I've heard from ATC contacts, you've explained the whole problem in one sentence - and the vessel they're using in said contest is a helmet with two big horns on it. (If that last bit is too cryptic for some, I'm sure it's not for anyone in UAE ATC.)