PDA

View Full Version : Flight booking and VAT

candoo
9th Jan 2009, 16:38
Frequently when travelling short haul on business I use my company credit card to book flights on the internet.

My boss is complaining that I have not attached a VAT receipt for the tickets when doing my expenses. I have tried in vain on the Easyjet site to find a way of getting a formal receipt with the VAT details but cannot find it.

He insists it is UK law that a VAT receipt is supplied for any goods purchased via the internet.

Anyone help?

raffele
9th Jan 2009, 16:44
As far as I am aware air travel in the United Kingdom is not subject to VAT

Final 3 Greens
9th Jan 2009, 17:17
From the easyJet website

How can I request an official VAT invoice for my booking?

Should you require a VAT invoice, please request one by calling our customer care centre on +44 871 244 2377.

Phileas Fogg
9th Jan 2009, 17:18
International air travel, even from one EU country to another EU country, is exempt of VAT as is the fuel the aircraft uses.

candoo
9th Jan 2009, 17:43
F3G - you are a better man than me on the Easy site :ok:

Makes it a bit of a pain in the backside though!

Thanks for the other replies - interesting about the VAT status as no matter what I purchase on my Company card I have to have a VAT receipt for it to justify my expenses.

Final 3 Greens
9th Jan 2009, 18:14
Makes it a bit of a pain in the backside though!

Agreed, surprising you can't download a PDF from the website.

Phileas Fogg
9th Jan 2009, 21:19
Candoo,

Sounds like your boss is alike my ex boss, if I were to buy a £1.25 train ticket I had to complete an expenses claim itemising the VAT.

How am I supposed to know if and what VAT there is on a train ticket? That's should be why we have accountants, that they sort that nonsense out whilst 'we' get on with our work that is, ultimately, paying their wages :)

Atlantean1963
10th Jan 2009, 09:21
Ah, the joy of expenses...

FWIW, the BA e-ticket receipts I've just printed for my December expenses include the following statement:

"Please note that air travel is not subject to VAT therefore we do not issue VAT receipts"

Might be useful sometime.

Best Regards,

Atlantean.

Scumbag O'Riley
10th Jan 2009, 11:01
Hmm, not sure that is correct in the purest anal sense as domestic air travel is subject to VAT but at a rate of zero percent. So according to VAT regulations they are required to issue a VAT invoice if requested, with a VAT of zero. Though in practice the VAT man will not care unless you try to claim VAT back at 15%. The taxman doesn't care about VAT, he just wants to see a receipt to back up any expense deducted by the business.