View Full Version : Working day off payments stopped at Ryanair !

Aldente
9th Jan 2009, 08:53
Notice in the STN crewroom just appeared :-

"IF ANY CAPTAIN WOULD LIKE TO WORK THEIR DAY OFF THIS WEEKEND PLEASE SPEAK TO SOMEONE IN STN OPS. Please note there will be no woff payment. THANKS!! "

So now we get £0 for working a day off, to help the company out !

How much does your company pay ? ..................

Eff Oh
9th Jan 2009, 09:00
Well you know what to do then..........Don't work on days off. Simple.

zuz
9th Jan 2009, 09:03
What is all the more outrageous about this turn of events is that every pilot in Stn is being allocated unpaid leave due to 'excess' capacity!!!

Tooloose
9th Jan 2009, 10:30
Seems very odd. However, no doubt one of the usual suspects will be along shortly to explain why it is good for you and that you should be grateful for whatever crumbs you get from the rich man's table.

seasexsun
9th Jan 2009, 10:33
Well you know what to do then..........Don't work on days off. Simple.

if you start to play this kind of game with Ryanair, then Ryanair will play with you and you will stay at home all the month doing stand by... wich mean zero euro salary..

Clandestino
9th Jan 2009, 12:24
My company? What RYR started now, we've been doing since 1991!

kick the tires
9th Jan 2009, 14:15
if you start to play this kind of game with Ryanair, then Ryanair will play with you and you will stay at home all the month doing stand by... wich mean zero euro salary..

But they need pilots to fly - not all can be given a zero fly roster! And by the sounds of it they need everyone they can get.

seasexsun
9th Jan 2009, 14:36
Ryanair is full of applicants, and has too many pilots at the moment. If they need a FO, they just clap their hands in any flightschool, if they need a captain there are plenty of asslicker FOs willing to be a captain.
No problem for Ryanair.:=

Fifty Above
9th Jan 2009, 19:02
... no, sounds more like they've inadvertently taken on some ex-easyJet rosterers.

zerotohero
9th Jan 2009, 19:37
Is there a bit missing to this info?

Are you saying Brookfield guys getting called into fly for zero?

or

Ryanair Contract guys getting no extra salary but get sector pay only

or

Ryanair Contract guys getting NOTHING AT ALL?

and is this just Captains and not F/O's??? and if so why not F/O's???

Aldente
10th Jan 2009, 09:13
For clarification, Ryanair contracted pilots (not Brookfield) have (had ?!) a working agreement that states that any pilot working a day off will be paid £230 in addition to their normal basic salary and sector pay for that day. The notice specified Captains as that's who they are usually short of ....

curser
10th Jan 2009, 09:46
Aldente,forgive the ignorance, can they expect volunteers?
I'm sure they can be very persuasive on any targeted individual but what normally happens when they get no volunteers? Is this uncharted territory or is this a regular occurrence? I suspect it is indeed bliss.

reamer
11th Jan 2009, 14:51
Their problem is that they can't be seen to be paying people to work their days off while they have staff on forced unpaid leave.
If precedent is set this year for unpaid leave, it opens up the ability to work you to your 900 hr limit and then give you unpaid leave for the remainder of the year.

11th Jan 2009, 15:03
awaiting the next set of results...........

Tough times

Dries v.d. Tillaard
11th Jan 2009, 16:00
Am I mistaken in thinking that reamers's scenario might not be that far fetched?

Whenever I have an offday @work I just have to read some of the topics on Pprune and then thank #God/Allah/Johan Cruijf/Jah/fill in your own deity here # on my bare knees I don't work for an outfit with nothing but utter contempt for its employees..

curser
11th Jan 2009, 17:34
Weekend is almost over, were there problems maintaining the schedule? Is the STN OPS office door still standing? one day, eh?

BongleBear
11th Jan 2009, 18:56
probably just ops/crew control testing the water. i heard a few months back that they were going to get rid of f/o's working day off payments, but everytime they called one up they were asked 'will i get the payment?'. response was sometimes 'not sure' and they said no. they know people need the flying at the moment, especially in stn due to the allocated unpaid leave.
if people take them up on the offer then expect it to happen on a regular basis. there'll be a list in crew control's little office of those idiots who will work days off and deny themselves and everyone else the £230.
for those who were asking, we should get £230 per day off worked, capt's and fo's the same.

easy way to stop it happening, i think the kids on grange hill said it best:
'Just Say No'.

inveritas
11th Jan 2009, 21:23
I asked PB directly about this in STN on Friday - and he said that if you work a day off - you get paid a working day off payment - simple as that. He said that Brookfield pilots get paid as normal their hourly rate - but nothing extra - if they work on an off day. There was a queue of pilots and he would not answer any other questions I had about SIMS or crewing in STN. He said to put it in writing. So I will get the WOFF in writing.

DutchBird-757
11th Jan 2009, 22:13
For us it's a set calculation based on your (gross) yearly salary. The longer you've been with the company, thus the more you earn, the more you get paid. All laid down in our Schedueling agreement. All in addition to the normal basic salary and sector pay for that day.

If you're then disrupted during that day you get a disruption payment on top of it. (half a day off payment) All bounded by set rules and regulations. I'm only with the company for 2 years as F/O and am looking at 240+ ish for a WDO. Captains around 150% of this.

nuclear weapon
13th Jan 2009, 19:42
Ryanair is not in financial trouble they are simply looking for more ways to squeeze out revenues.

UL975
14th Jan 2009, 10:25
£230 Net....

BALLSOUT
14th Jan 2009, 10:59
Lets look at this properly!
RYR have not stoped the day off payment. If I am asked to work a day off, and I accept, they will pay me £230 net of tax. They will also pay me sector pay for the day. That can easily be another £100 - £200 net of tax. Total easily more than £400 net. (after tax)
They have always tried to talk people into things like swaping the day to another day off instead of the £230 and some have been daft enough to accept.
The memo was asking for volunteers, thats why they were not offering the payment. I guess they got very few volunteers and eventualy had to call people and ask them if they would work for the normal payment.
All of the above only applies to employed pilots as the contractors are all self employed and get paid by the hour on any day they work.
I expect they may have been inundated by contractors of course as they can easily earn up to £1500 a day. Yes tough I know but someone has to do it!

williewalsh
14th Jan 2009, 17:39
Well maybe in these times of hardship and downturn its as good a time as any for ryr to go under. Bit of an industry enema so to speak.Might as well be now as later. God knows it could do with one.

Too many licence speculators that will do anything to fly a jet.Just like too many people owning a home hwo shouldnt have We werent born equal. It cant last. I f you couldnt afford it you shouldnt have done it.
Now before the " I wouldnt wish anyone to be out of work " brigade slag me off look at it objectively. Its a good time to bury bad news. Except IMHO ryr going away would be a good thing in the longterm for the industry. There may be a few twenty somethings that will have to go back to the job they should have been doing , a few homeless oler pilots and even a few contactors back in afganistan. This is the cylcic nature of the industry, only this time its a fugoid of giant proportions fed on a diet of debt for training, instant jet time and a recent social trend of "I want it now and Ill get ot now"

It will find its own level and hopefully that level will exclude RYR.

Now Ill retire to the bunke ans see what happens.

captjns
14th Jan 2009, 20:07
Pretty harsh Willlie to wish unemployment to a bunch of your fellow airmen:=. I know, I know you say I wouldnt wish anyone to be out of work.
Please enlighten us... how do these people stay employed where they are if their airline closes down... Well maybe in these times of hardship and downturn its as good a time as any for ryr to go under
as it is your desire this airline out of business?:ugh:

BALLSOUT
14th Jan 2009, 20:59
Well Wllie, let me be the first to rise to your bait.
I doubt very much that Ryanair will go bust any time soon, but I do accept anything can happen. However if anyone is to loose their job and even their home, I hope it is you!

captplaystation
15th Jan 2009, 09:47
Well Willie, what a charming post. I have worked for several companies over the years, and there are bods from all of them, plus legacy carriers (even good ol BA ) at Ryanair. So, sorry to hear that you think we are all undeserving. I hope for you that you don't find yourself one day "a homeless oler (sic) pilot" or having to contract in Afghanistan. If perchance you do, you can only hope that those who might help you out of your predicament are more compassionate than you wish to project yourself.
Ryanair may indeed have a case to answer as cold uncaring bar-stewards, it appears by your attitude that you approve of this lack of empathy with your fellow professionals.
Sad? or just silly ? well only you know whether it is deliberate provocation or whether you really are that low, in either case you do yourself few favours.

williewalsh
15th Jan 2009, 17:41
I am older, I cant type and have been redundant twice.:ok:
Ryr was the original infection, its time for the treatment. Some will suffer but quite frankly I dont care.I dont have sympathy for people I dont know. Its just the nature of the beast. The industry is top heavy with greedy little twerps throwing money at a jet and cynical managers laughing all the way to the bank. The ex BA other operators etc etc at ryr mentioned should know better and are as culpable as the rest in prostituting themselves for their own self interests or needs purely because they should know the nature and habits of these managers. They probably choose to ignore the issues for self interest. Good pension three wives, why not play around at ryr for a few years...t and c. Not my problem its pocket money....Bullying ..not to me Ill just leave....etc etc. Do they care ...no.. Do I care about them ...no.

Unlike Oleary screwing this profession , for me its not personnal, it just needs to find its own level.

Im aware of the hardships ( see above). Its going to burst and Id rather the people who have ignored the signs to fill their pockets in the short term take the hit..
Work the rest out yourself.
Now if having an opinion about the mess we are in and not clouded by some false sense of brotherhood or cameraderie for people I dont know makes me a tw@t, then Im happy with that title.
I know some very nice tw@ts:ok:

PS MR palystation, I dont need any favours but thanks for the concern

captplaystation
15th Jan 2009, 20:44
Oh dear, not ANOTHER version of CaptKremin . . . . . .:yuk: