PDA

View Full Version : GPS- help with Uni research

olliec3000
8th Jan 2009, 13:59
Hi there,

My class and I have been set a piece of coursework today to cover the Navstar GPS system as part of our Radio nav module.

It was only set today and I've had a quick look for online resources (have found the US gov site and Garmin to be quite good.)

I am wondering if you ppruners can give me any good websites, books etc or advice that might be worth looking at for this subject?

Thanks, ollie

tucumseh
8th Jan 2009, 14:08
Trimble used to publish their own books on the subject. For example "GPS - A Guide to the Next Utility" (which is obviously quite old!!) and "Differential GPS explained" (also old, as MoD have had it since 1994), but the principles remain the same. The company were very generous and a simple phone call may be enough to get copies.

Their address (was)

Trimble Navigation Europe Ltd
Trimble House
Meridian Office Park
Osborn way
Hook
Hants RG27 9HX

Phone 01256 760150

Hope this helps and isn't too dated.

Pontius Navigator
8th Jan 2009, 14:17
Try the Royal Institute of Navigation. Its journals should be in your library, if not they should be able to get the relevant articles. Start here:

Royal Institute of Navigation (http://www.rin.org.uk/)

BTW, you would be eligible for student membership.

olliec3000
8th Jan 2009, 18:56
thank you both very much hopefully it will be interesting.

8th Jan 2009, 19:36
Make sure you use the word 'trilateration' in your thesis:ok:

hval
8th Jan 2009, 19:54
Also don't forget things like Dilution Of Precision (DOP). In these you get: -
HDOP - Horizontal Dilution Of Precision
VDOP - Vertical Dilution Of Precision
PDOP - Position Dilution Of Precision
TDOP - Time Dilution Of Precision

You should also look at "Rate Out" and "Gate Out"; where Rate Out is the position changing at an unacceptable, unlikely rate and Gate Out is where the position change is such that the new position is unlikely or not feasible.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilution_of_precision_(GPS)) For More gen.

Some persons make use of GPS World. You will find a page with some useful links at: - GPS References - GPS System Integration Design & Test (http://sidt.gpsworld.com/gpssidt/static/staticHtml.jsp?id=407088)

I used to have to read the raw data from the satellites! Very sad.

Be aware of the different frequencies and chipsets (L1, L2, P Code, C/A, etc).

Take note of Glonass & Galileo. You should also be aware of all types of GPS, accuracies and precision.

Hval

EDITED: - For poor grammar.

Sir George Cayley
12th Jan 2009, 19:37
In the UK, the CAA fund research work on satellite-in-space signal integrity with Leeds University; maybe try them?

Look for Eurocontrol projects and for EC sponsored projects to do with EGNOS & Galilleo.

Don't forget GLASNOS, er make that GLONASS from the Imperial Republic of Putin but be aware also that both the Chinese and Indian Govts have aspirations in space based navigation too!

Schriver AFB have their own website on NAVSTAR with some good links.

And finally a question to tease you. If RAIM predictions are predicated on a flat horizon, what do you do in a valley?

Discuss

Sir George Cayley