PDA

View Full Version : Mode S

FLTID
7th Jan 2009, 19:24
Hi All,
anyone out there actually using Mode S in ATC for aircraft identification?
Airborne side are now over 98% accurate in downlinked aircraft identification so someone must be using the data.
rgds FLTID.

Radarspod
8th Jan 2009, 10:10
I'm not sure where the 98% has come from. It may be that 98% of Mode S equipped aircraft are capable, but whether the ID entered bares any relation to the ICAO Callsign or aircraft registration is another matter. A number of operators are not entering correctly, either because of cockpit procedure problems (or lack of!) or avionics faults.

Until just about everyone is carrying a Mode S ELS transponder and entering the callsign correctly, the benefits won't be fully realised.

RS

FLTID
8th Jan 2009, 18:21
Thanks RS,
I may have been a bit hasty with the 98%, I will check out that figure and report back. Eurocontrol have an airborne monitoring project which gathers all that data....standby..
rgds FLTID

BravoMike
8th Jan 2009, 20:15
Hi,

In december 2008 they hit the 96% correct mark.
So less than 4% errors.

PPRuNe Radar
8th Jan 2009, 20:21
But based on what percentage of IFR aircraft which actually flew in the measured airspace ??

Minesapint
8th Jan 2009, 20:30
The last official BDAMS report I have seen is for last Nov. Not a true picture as it depends on whaich radars are monitored and whic providers supply the data - 22% match on flight ID v ID from FPL. Having said that DFS are starting domestic flights soon between EDDF and EDDM as they are happy with the % of matches (over 95%).

FLTID
8th Jan 2009, 21:21
Yes, DFS are doing a city pair trial, but it is under strict conditions.
Hungary are starting trials this year sometime.
Maastrich I think are starting trials displaying downlinked Mode S data onto the controller display but not using aircraft id for coupling still using SSR code.
I am not sure what DSNA are doing.
rgds FLTID