PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide - 05 takeoff - flight distance before turning

mmciau
7th Jan 2009, 18:33
At Adelaide, aircraft departing on 05 travel a considerable distance out to sea before turning. I understand that distance is/was 5 NM.

With the revised paths now operating for landing on 05, has there been a change to the outbound distance?

I ask because I saw a B737 turn northerly fairly soon after passing over the shoreline the other day

Regards

Mike McInerney

Pilotette
7th Jan 2009, 19:33
Hi MM

I'm not sure..but I think the runway you're actually referring to is 23 if you're talking about departing out to sea. I think it might be 1DME..but as I said, I'm not sure..Cheers P

zube
7th Jan 2009, 20:30
Mike.

05 takes you over land. You must mean 23.

The SID calls for runway track to the first waypoint, about 5 DME would be right. ( I don't have the chart in front of me now.)

At any time ATC can cancel SID and instruct you to turn onto a radar heading. Could this be what you saw?

Howard Hughes
7th Jan 2009, 21:25
Could have been a 'radar', or even 'visual' departure!:eek:

kd_nub
7th Jan 2009, 23:27
It all depends on what sid you get.

If you saw the 737 turn fairly early on they might have been on the
Adelaide 8 departure (radar) which is maintain runway hdg (222) till at or above 600AND passing 1 DME to the south west then turn to assigned hdg. (1 DME AD is just passed the shoreline)

If they were on any other departure then they would continue to track runway hdg for longer.

Hope this helps

Chadzat
8th Jan 2009, 01:10
With the revised paths now operating for landing on 05, has there been a change to the outbound distance?

Short answer is 'no'. There has been discussion about revised departure tracks as well I believe, but in the scheme of things I think that there was more 'fat' to be trimmed on the inbound tracks. (For those playing at home, there were revisions to Northern and Western inbound tracks for landing on RW23 which is used 75% of the time.)

strim
8th Jan 2009, 01:30
I would say for noise, A/C departing East go out over water longer before coming back over populated areas, whereas departures to West or North can head out over the gulf and get direct tracking earlier.

mmciau
8th Jan 2009, 02:53
Ladies and Gentlemen!!

Sorry for the confusion I created - yes I did mean 23! - My brain fade!!

The B737 took off from 23 and at approximately half the normal straight line flight path (possibly not more than 2 NM), turned right and climbed to a North, North-East direction.

Mike

Jet_A_Knight
8th Jan 2009, 03:44
Could have been the Frank 1 departure outta YSSY.:suspect:

ianmoss
12th Jan 2009, 00:01
Mike,

noise requirements mean jets off 23 should stay on runway track til 3nm before turning right. If they're going left they should stay runway track til 5nm then offshore til 10nm and 5000'