PDA

View Full Version : Runway De-icer affects upon Carbon Brakes

EESDL
7th Jan 2009, 09:54
Interested to hear from maintenance personnel with experience in maintaining carbon brakes and Carbon Brake Oxidation relating to Runway/Pavement de-icers...........
Specifically if any increase/adverse deterioation above forecast maintenance levels?
Have studied numerous 'working group' reports but trying receive coal-face information.

chuzwuza
8th Jan 2009, 00:36
Airbus do have a current sb concerning oxidation, particularly on A330 units. unfortunatly i cant recall the number of the sb off the top of my head for you, however it does recommend enhanced inspection at every wheel change. The company i work for has also adopted a 'half life' policy on A330 brake units as a direct result of units self destructing in service. I dont have any knowledge of similar sb's on other a/c types usind carbon brakes.

Conan The Barber
8th Jan 2009, 06:35
I doubt the folks at the coal-face can provide the information you are looking for - unless it's a small company with few airframes and lots of 'face to face' meetings - as any correlation will be very difficult.

fullyspooled
8th Jan 2009, 20:43
Slightly off topic, but some aircraft maintenance schedules call for additional greasing procedures to be adopted in respect of landing gear/wheels following landings on de-iced runways. As for carbon brakes, I know nothing about them.

Sir George Cayley
9th Jan 2009, 20:04
Would part of the equation include the type of fluid each airport uses?

Sir George Cayley

Ex Cargo Clown
9th Jan 2009, 22:41
If it's Potassium Acetate they are using for deicing, I can't really see it having too devastating an effect on Carbon Brakes, even at temperature. Only slightly basic and not a great oxidiser.

I'll have a play around with it when I get back into the lab :D

Zeffy
10th Jan 2009, 08:23
Recent SAE presentation (http://www.aci-na.org/static/entransit/20_boeing_arriaga.pdf).

RebelDJ
27th Jan 2009, 16:39
See also EASA SIB on this subject

EASA Airworthiness Directives Publishing Tool (http://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2008-19R1)