PDA

View Full Version : Diversions due child custody

gadjo
6th Jan 2009, 23:20
Diversions on medical grounds occur occur from time to time, but has anyone heard of diversions due to child custody issues? A friend mentioned a case of an international flight being recalled because on board was a divorced father fleeing with his children when the only legal guardian was the mother who had not agree to the children being taken away. Sorry the details are a bit vague and may not be accurate, the flight may have originated in Australia. Does anyone know about this case or similar one?

BelArgUSA
7th Jan 2009, 03:41
Never heard about such type of incident.
xxx
About 1998, wife took a 12 years old cousin with her for 3 days Rome layover.
I was the pilot. Was in Argentina for departure to Europe.
She had problems at immigration to exit the country with him.
I went to the booth, and explained the circumstances.
Guess my uniform and status convinced the agent.
xxx
Most countries monitor "who leaves with which minors"...
So quite unlikely that an airplane would be diverted for such circumstance.
Many North African/European/Middle East cases of child custody in mixed couples.
It is reported that many children are "kidnapped"...
Kids are often dual citizens and low age... Difficult cases.
I doubt they are smuggled on flights. Or, their departure is legitimate....
They travel for a "visit" out of Europe - then never return...
Remember the movie "Not without my daughter", a true story.
Maybe similar cases out of Australia with Asia...
xxx
:*
Happy contrails

A Very Civil Pilot
7th Jan 2009, 09:42
Why recall the flight when the departure Immigration people only have to call the arrival Immigration people to have the family detained and returned?

I suppose it depends in where the flight is going. Europe/US, no problems with the arrival immigration, but Asia and the Middle East might be a bit more difficult.

If there is a court order stating the child must remain with their mother, and the airline knows about iy (albeit after departure), the presumably there would be some sort of legal consequences if they refuse to retun them the the departure airport?

Phantom99
7th Jan 2009, 10:01
Happened a few months ago out of Bournemouth to a Polish destination, diverted to Luton or Stansted - I don't recall the operator.

mustafagander
9th Jan 2009, 08:07
As far as I can recall it, such a case did actually happen many years ago on a flight leaving SYD. The flight was ordered to land in DRW. It was, I believe, a simple case of a non custodial parent endeavouring to remove a child during a contact visit.

The Family Court of Australia takes a very dim view of anyone attempting to remove a minor who is under the protection of the Court, generally the subject of custody orders, from the jurisdiction of the Court, i.e. Australia, without permission.

Sorry that I can't be more specific with dates etc.

Phantom99
9th Jan 2009, 11:39
Can you find a reference? The Bornemouth Daily Echo doesn't appear to know of the alleged incident. It would be newsworthy. I can't find any reference to it on Google.

No reference. I was controlling at Swanwick on an adjacent sector when the message was given to us to pass to the pilot on a discrete frequency. The decision to divert was down to the operator/pilot.

Brian Abraham
9th Jan 2009, 23:38
Not too many years ago a US charter operator had to front court for aiding and abetting the unlawful removal of a child from the custodian. Forget precise details but a google should come up with details. Caused a fair debate in the aviation press at the time.

scooby79
10th Jan 2009, 04:11
How did you get the pilot to listen to the discrete frequency. I can only think you would have to tell him to go to the frequency which is then not that discrete. Sorry if I am asking the obvious.

NZScion
10th Jan 2009, 06:25
Discrete: constituting a separate entity or part; "a government with three discrete divisions"; "on two distinct occasions"

In this case, changing to a separate frequency.

Source (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=define+discrete&btnG=Google+Search&meta=)

Davido82
10th Jan 2009, 06:42
This article talks briefly about a 3 year old boy being removed from a Singapore Airlines flight in Darwin in Sept 2003.
Source (http://www.allbusiness.com/operations/shipping-air-freight/640110-1.html)

gadjo
16th Jan 2009, 22:19
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my question.:D