PDA

View Full Version : ATC Runway 'fit for purpose'

EESDL
6th Jan 2009, 14:54
driving along gritted roads got me thinking of possible longer-term damage to car............

Specifically during contaminated conditions......does SATCO have responsibility for ensuring runway de-iced/fit for purpose or is such a responsibility delegated to another department?
Do you have a free hand in what materials you spread on the tarmac or are regulations so tight that there is little choice?
What am I getting at?

With increasing use of carbon brakes on aircraft - and the damage caused by 'traditional' runway de-icers - do aircraft manufacturers stipulate/control what you spray on runways? - or is this simply integrated into their maintenance intervals?

Avoiding_Action
6th Jan 2009, 15:17
I heard Gatwick's de-icer doesn't work too well.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Jan 2009, 20:34
At major airports ATC is not involved in such matters, which are the responsibility of the airport authority.

vintage ATCO
6th Jan 2009, 20:45
. . . . unless ATC is provided by the airport authority in which case ATC get landed with it!! Spent many an hour on the runway supervising snowclearing. I learnt with snowclearing you can never win, only very slightly come second. No one ever remembers your successes, only your failures :)

We sprayed on the runway whatever was 'flavour of the month' that week and approved.