PDA

View Full Version : A320 Engine started on its own

yasir8095
6th Jan 2009, 14:09
Hey guyz.. well this happened last week.. on my A320-214. No.1 engine started :confused: on its own.... atleast thats what the captain who was in the cockpit at the time told me.. and even made an entry in the techlog.. dont know what to make of it... captain is adamant he didnt do it... when i reached the cockpit, engine was running down n all parameters displayed on the ecam... but egt was still rising for about a minute afterwards...:ugh:

airfoilmod
6th Jan 2009, 14:16
The hatch blew, it just blew..... Gus Grissom, Mercury astronaut

Fargoo
6th Jan 2009, 14:35
Not difficult to glance down and note the position of the master switch.
Was it on or not?

barit1
6th Jan 2009, 14:46
We had just replaced the magnetos on a R-985 and were pulling the prop through by hand (mags OFF) prior to start. Guess what? It started all by itself! :eek:

So why weren't the mag p-leads grounded? The guy who did the bench test put a slip of paper under the safety contacts so he could test the spark. He then forgot to remove said paper, and when we connected the p-leads, the paper prevented the grounding contact.

ALWAYS treat the mags as though hot! :=

irish330
6th Jan 2009, 15:41
In my place of work, something very similar nearly happened on one of our A320's.
The problem was that someone had one master switches in on position and mode selector in ignition start.
The pilot procedure is to just start the APU prior to close-up and push back. So the fuel pumps were on at this stage and all that was left was bleed air.
Luckily enough the pilot checked the Mode selector and master switches position before selecting bleed air.
Myself personnally i always now check the mode selector is in Norm and masters switches in off before i select bleed air on.
You just never know what way the cockpit was left.

mono
6th Jan 2009, 15:49
And what did the captain do to stop it?? Or did it stop on it's own too?

Sounds like a checklist failure to me. Before I put power on an a/c (especially the APU) I check all the switches are in the correct positions.

To start the bus at least 2 switches need to be selected (more if you include bleed air, etc)

If he was adamant I would have pulled the FDR (or QAR) for analysis. If the EGT was still rising after a couple of minutes that sounds like you had a tailpipe fire (probably minor as it eventually went down) so why didn't you check and blow it out? Apart from the usual checks to confirm correct operation, I also hope you checked the FADEC for any excedances before releasing the a/c.

Old Fella
6th Jan 2009, 23:16
Irish330. Surely that is the very reason you should conduct a thorough cockpit check before anything else.

barit1
7th Jan 2009, 01:26
From a couple US Navy techs:

A TF30 engine was pulled for inspection, and was found unserviceable while on the trolley/cart. But it needed to be preserved for shipment to overhaul.

The maintenance crew attached a hose to the fuel pump inlet to suck preservative oil into the fuel system, then applied shop air to the starter to turn the fuel pump. However this engine had a self-powered ignition alternator on the gearbox, and there was enough JP-5 left in the lines that the engine lit up and started to taxi across the ramp.

It encountered and disassembled a brick wall before the fuel lines ran dry. :yuk:

Old Fella
7th Jan 2009, 03:07
No wonder the F111 is such a great aircraft, powered by an engine that can "fly" through brick walls. :ok:

john_tullamarine
7th Jan 2009, 03:17
It encountered and disassembled a brick wall before the fuel lines ran dry

.. hadn't encountered this tale before ... but what a lovely turn of phrase...

Pixie Queen
7th Jan 2009, 04:40
After reading several posts here: I ponder.............
I seem to recall that there are these laminated and folded pieces of paper in the flightdeck. I think these "checklists" mention the position of numerous switches PRIOR to engaging your brain, not to mention your giddy little fingers. When all else fails or whilst interrupted during the completion of a checklist, start over from the beginning(after you have told the interruption to GO AWAY).:ok:

yasir8095
7th Jan 2009, 05:31
The captain said he recycled the master lever to stop the engine---???
Mode selector was off when i got in.
And And And he said he hadn't started doing the checklists as he was just feeding his flight plan.
Aircraft was in transit, so APU was on.
I did do an EGR and FADEC test prior to release...
Everything appeared normal.

:suspect:

HAWK21M
11th Jan 2009, 07:13
Checklists are very important.
Some persons [Flt ops/Mx] don't secure the flight deck properly.
regds
MEL