PDA

View Full Version : Training to become an ATCO

pablo1uk
5th Jan 2009, 12:43
Hi all,

I'm looking at applying for training as an ATCO, however I have a few questions I would like any qualified ATCO to answer if possible.

1) I listen to ATC on airband radio, and in particular London control on 134.9. I am amazed how the controller can give continous instructions/recieve new aircraft and give them new instructions, as if they are memorised in his head (you would imagine he doesnt have time to read any cards or the radar screen). I realise this is probably expected of all controllers, however to me it doesn't seem like he even has time to think, let alone react to a conflict situation or emergency in the midst of the seeming chaos. To be able to deal with this I guess it comes with the training, individual personality and experience?

2) Is the job continually stressful, or is this just the case if you dont have the right kind of personality (in which case you shouldn't pass the tests)?

3) What are the key traits you need to become an ATCO?

thanks in advance for any input...and for any further advice (advantages/pitfalls) of being an ATCO

Gonzo
5th Jan 2009, 13:34
Hi Pablo,

1) Yes, this is mostly training. However, in the selection process we do look for candidates who have certain abilities. See 2 and 3!

2) I can only speak for myself, but I don't find the job at all stressful. Sometimes it does get pressurised, but I love those days and I often get bored when it's quiet.

3) Being good at teamwork; remaining calm under pressure; being able to take on information from many different sources of information at once, prioritise them and quickly decide what to do with the information; good at solving problems; high situational and spatial awareness.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jan 2009, 18:06
Pablo.. It's like any other professional job - if you are properly trained and capable then you'll be able to do it. It's no harder than flying a jet, operating as a surgeon, etc. I did it all my life without any problems yet the thought of teaching a class full of kids turns me into a trembling wreck.

Training is thorough and you won't be let loose until everyone is totally satisfied that you are safe.

Take in what Gonzo has said - he knows what he is about.

Lastly, what you hear on the airband is only a fraction of the workload. The controller will be liaising with other controllers on the telephone and by direct converstaion with those around him.

Hyperborean
5th Jan 2009, 19:58
Good points already made. As regards stress I've just retired after 42 years 37 as a controller. In my experience yes you can get stress but when you unplug your headset it finishes. You can't take the job home so the stress is not a big problem. In my opinion I enjoyed one of the best jobs in the world. Go for it, if you graduate enjoy it. But, and this is a big but, don't do it just for the money.