View Full Version : ICAO language proficiency

redout
5th Jan 2009, 00:14
If a person already has an RT license on their CPL are they still required to do a seperate ICAO language proficiency exam and if so is there a point doing the ICAO language proficiency without having a job as it is only relevant to "those intending to operate or control international flights" ? Obviously when you get a job one will be required I presume. Does job seekers just do the exam anyway or wait till offered a job.

I also read that the Caa was sending out level 4 to everyone who already holds a license but I never recieved one. Is that true and can anyone confirm this ?

Cheers

ELPSPAIN
22nd Jan 2009, 08:28
The CAA was issuing level 4 to all pilots holding licenses up to 8th March 2008. Any licenses issued after that date require a language proficiency endorsement.

mustafagander
22nd Jan 2009, 10:12
It is simply horse ****.

Like most of my long haul colleagues, I was born and raised in an English speaking country, but was required to be checked for proficiency in the English language.

The fact that we were born here and grew up speaking English as our native language seems to be irrelevant. I needed to be checked by an approved check captain, and only a few are approved, to ensure that I was up to level 6 standard.

What a load of horse **** for native English speakers, really. :ugh:

fireflybob
22nd Jan 2009, 15:09
I cannot help thinking this is more bureaucratic nonsense hoisted on us by the EU.

So is english language proficiency required for cabin crew then and if not why not? What about ground staff such as despatchers?

Conan The Barber
22nd Jan 2009, 15:17
Yes fireflybob, an ICAO language requirement is surely the work of the EU.:rolleyes: