PDA

View Full Version : B777 Smoke Fire Fumes NNC

Yon Garde
3rd Jan 2009, 01:56
Can anyone familiar with the current (15DEC08) version of this NNC confirm that this is a "Memory" checklist?
It is listed in bold text in the Quick action section of the index and also larger font to be read through goggles, however it seems unusually long with 26 steps to be considered a Memory item.
I'm assuming that any NNC that is bold text in the index is a Memory item, is this correct? I'm new to the new "Phase 2" QRH format, but it generally seems a very good improvement.
Thanks in anticipation :)

B737NG
3rd Jan 2009, 10:18
I would say YES but impossible..... We fly 3 diffrent version B 777-200 ERīs and B777-300. I guess the current ammendment will be subject to revision soon as the identification and verification of condition per diffrent types was never a memory item. Common sense would be: Protection. (Oxygen-mask, smoke goggles), communicate as a memory item and then go for the Checklist to verify the steps to identify and isolate the source of smoke/fire. If all the switches should be changed by memory the "old" concept read and do and avoid mistakes would be thrown over bord. When checklists got implementet and enforced to use them we had a certain standart that everybody did the same steps and the other Flight deck member could follow. I remember times when personal knowledge was put over checklists and hands where flying all over the place to shoot trouble. The effect was often that the crew was put into trouble after that by not knowing what steps where taken and was one important one forgotten. The B777 has alot of automatic features to identify and isolate leaks in bleed and hydraulic.

My fear is that people start to push buttons again by not having the detailed knowledge of the systems. When I did my transition the subject system was not that extended as in the Turboprop or in the B737-200 where systems where essential to keep you in the Air alive, you had to remember alot of numbers and drawings. In the B777 you open the synoptic and you see the drawing again and the switching that occured. and most similar to old concept of securing the remaining system to operate.

In case of smoke or fire there is, in real scenario, not one like the other and the checklist is a guideline to help to manage the situation better. In time critical events there is no time left to open the checklist, there is fast action required and only one attempt decides over dead or life.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

oz in dxb
3rd Jan 2009, 10:36
Recall items are now shown without the hash symbol, but with horizontal dotted lines under the recall procedures.

The smoke fire fumes checklist has no horizontal dotted lines which means that it is a NNC.

Oz

Port Strobe
3rd Jan 2009, 10:37
Yon Garde, can't comment on the triple specifically but looked up 737NG and it's a non memory item as far as I can tell, new QRH format is a bit awkward for determining these. I think memory items are shown by a dashed line when the memory items are complete. Checklist items in bold on the front cover just gives you access to them more quickly, I think engine tailpipe fire is an example of a non memory item on the quick action index. Hope it helps.

Yon Garde
3rd Jan 2009, 11:02
Thanks for the replies so far, all good info. This brings up a good question. What is the definative indicator of a Memory (Recall) NNC in the new format QRH? I assume it is the bold text in the index. Where there are reference as well as memory items, it is easy due to the "Separator symbol" (dashed lines), however where there are no reference items it is unclear.
Due to the nature of this condition, I would have thought that the only memory items should be Oxy masks ON, Crew comms establish, then leave the rest for the NNC reference items.
I suppose thats why I don't build 'em. Keep up the valuable and informative dialogue, I appreciate it. :ok:

Spooky 2
4th Jan 2009, 18:15
The SMOKE, FIRE or FUMES NNC has no memory items associted with it. As a previous poster has pointed out, unless you have the dashed line within the checklist, there are no Quick Action Items associted with it.

Yon Garde
5th Jan 2009, 05:07
Thanks very much Spooky, you've answered my question :)

Nightfire
5th Jan 2009, 07:56
The reason it is printed in bold letters, is that you can find it on the index of the QRH even looking through a cloud of smoke.
It's the explanation from my instructor (in Seattle).

Nightfire
5th Jan 2009, 08:02
The reason it is printed in bold letters, is that you can find it on the index of the QRH even looking through a cloud of smoke.
It's the explanation from my instructor (in Seattle).

Giuseppe Giovanni
5th Jan 2009, 08:35
As mentioned previously, the QRH is in larger font so it can be read with the oxygen mask on.

So why is not the same logic applied to the various smoke/fumes checklists within the ECL ?

After all, the ECL is our primary source and the QRH is the back up.

Any ideas ?