PDA

View Full Version : Jersey ATC Vacancies

Charlie Fox
2nd Jan 2009, 13:31
Are there any vacancies as I hear another ATCO has left???

aeroplanium
3rd Jan 2009, 09:00
Wow that must be 5 in less than a year - whats going on with the place? People never used to leave- however its reputation for poor standards and bad management nowadays is pretty well known - guess the wonder boy from NATS isn't doing too well!!

aluminium persuader
3rd Jan 2009, 11:32
I've heard a rumour that when Britain changes to JAA licences (next year?) Jersey will not be following. Hence from that point, Jersey ATCOs (unless the licences are grandfathered - I can't comment on that as I'm outside the UK at the mo) may not be able to work on mainland UK in the future.

goatface
3rd Jan 2009, 15:53
I don't think that the Sates of Jersey would have a choice in the matter of licensing.
They have to date, chosen to follow the UK CAA licensing and standards, if they suddenly decided that they wanted to follow a seperate path, they would be required by the EEC in the form of EASA, to set up their own equivilant of the UK CAA SRG, not only for ATC but also the whole of Aviation within the States of Jersey.
We all know that that there is not the technical or professional proficiancy within the Channel Islands, let alone the political will or financial competence to set up what would be such a realtively large organisation for such a huge cost to the Islanders.
Just in case anyone doubts that, bear in mind that the current enormous Eurocontrol funding to the States of Jersey for providing cross channel ATC services, makes the difference between profit an loss to the tax payer for all the "States" airports.

I for one would be more than happy to see the States of Jersey go it alone, let their residents wake up to the real costs of what it costs to run their airports and ATC services when there are no European subsidies available and tourism no longer pays for what they previously took for granted.

OA32
3rd Jan 2009, 16:27
Firstly there are no vacancies at the moment. Out of the 4 staff members that have left this past year, 2 were for personal reasons not associated with working there, 1 because they had a permanent flying job and the other for various reasons.

Aeroplanium

What do you mean by poor standards????

Aluminium Persuader

Jersey ATCO's currently hold CAA licences and will continue to do so. The problem lies in the fact that Jersey is not part of the EU so at the moment they can't have a european licence as EU law is not applicable.

Goatface

They don't get a European Subsidy as they are outside of Europe. What they do get is payment for providing a service in a large amount of airspace (on minimal staffing) that no-one else is capable of, and even if they were don't want to go near anyway. It is true that the payments help to keep the airport running but there is nothing wrong with putting that money to good use and providing a much needed link with the outside world.

man friday
3rd Jan 2009, 21:06
Having worked in the land that style and taste forgot, or Gibraltar for those that have never visited, i hold a Gib ATC license.

i also have 2 years left to run on my uk ratings before they go poof in a cloud of red tape.

a collegue recently moved to belfast and validated there with no problem with regards to his micky mouse....oops sorry Gibraltar license so i see no diference with a Jersey state license

aeroplanium
4th Jan 2009, 13:52
To reply OA32

Lets just say there are 'customers' of the Jersey ATC service who consider it less than satisfactory and have noticed significant decline over the last couple of years.

Oh and thanks for the enlightening reasons behind staff leaving the unit, however logic suggests that happy and content employees generally do not leave their jobs...

BALLOO53
10th Jan 2009, 12:01
Not many happy people around down on the Island in ATC from what we are hearing up here.:ugh:

When is the NATS takeover going to take place is one of the questions?:E

Charlie Fox
11th Jan 2009, 08:39
Watch manager now required - don't tell me middle management are getting p....d off!!:*

OA32
11th Jan 2009, 14:47
Aeroplanium

I never said they were happy or content, in fact far from it. Hence the rumour that no-one applied for the watch managers job so they've had to re-advertise after changing the goalposts to allow the one person interested to apply.

BALLOO53
11th Jan 2009, 15:20
How about combineing ATC units with Guernsey they might have a watch manager or two to join in.:ok:

Charlie Fox
12th Jan 2009, 07:01
Don't think anyone from Guernsey would want to move to Jersey!!

BarTT
12th Jan 2009, 16:30
Put the money up and I'll do it :)

BadAtco
12th Jan 2009, 18:39
Don't think they could afford you lol!!

yellowplane
13th Jan 2009, 12:07
It seems that there are vacancies everywhere, but other than those that sometimes appear in the trade rags, where are the vacancies exactly?

I know that HIAL are looking for people - anywhere else?

canard68
13th Jan 2009, 22:26
Wyton are still looking for a couple of App/Twr people.I enjoyed working there until I retired 2 years ago.

Bennyclub
18th Jan 2009, 08:28
There is a vacancy at Gloucester coming up. Ring SATCO for details

radarman
20th Jan 2009, 12:37
Gibraltar will be very short next Spring. But be careful, it's a bit of a poisoned chalice :uhoh:

yellowplane
20th Jan 2009, 14:04
...and now St Mary's looking for a SATCO and an ATCO

DigitalDeliverance
5th Feb 2009, 18:58
Lo Folks

As you may see, first post here!

After a patient wait of a couple of years theres finally a couple of trainee ATCO positions shown up in the local rag.

Appreciate this is a public forum and so would be grateful if any of you fine folk based in Jersey could identify yourselves via PM as i have a few informal questions (pertaining to some of the comments in this thread amongst other things) i'd like to ask!

Many thanks.

Charlie Fox
11th Apr 2009, 18:16
How has the latest recruitment drive gone?? There must nearly be more trainees there, than valid ATCO's. Has anyone validated in the last six months?

Crapaud
13th Apr 2009, 18:34
It used to be a joy to work there and, as far as I'm aware, the customers were satisfied (generally!). From all the reports I've heard recently the opposite is true in both cases. Such a shame.
CF - how about going back and showing them how it's done?? :ok:

OA32
14th Apr 2009, 09:02
That's what happens when you let NATS take over and run the show in all but name...