PDA

View Full Version : transmissometer U/S

flyboynight
1st Jan 2009, 10:56
If a transmissometer is out of service how does this effect CAT 1, 2 , 3 landings ? Any ideas where to get accurate source of reference. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

411A
1st Jan 2009, 11:33
Specific companies ops specs or....Jeppesen ATC section, if the former fails to mention.

avionneta
1st Jan 2009, 16:15
many cases in your question, but download the EU-OPS and you'll have all the answers

flyboynight
2nd Jan 2009, 09:32
Thanks for the pointers. I will research further.:ok:

Sir George Cayley
2nd Jan 2009, 19:02
My recollection is that if one unit is out of service the readings are not reliable.

Sir George Cayley

TheGorrilla
3rd Jan 2009, 21:18
If Transmissometers are u/s then factored met vis may be used under certain circumstances. Tables to factor the vis are normally provided by the operator. The factors normally depend on DAY/NIGHT and runway lighting.

Daysleeper
4th Jan 2009, 07:21
Having had just this a couple of years back at a UK airfield and we ended up diverting. We were happy and legal to complete the approach based on our ops manual however the ATC guy wouldn't clear us for an approach based on his ops manual (MATS 2?). Stalemate, burning fuel in the hold waiting for a ground engineer to fix the thing.... only he took too long to get to the airfield.... something about fog on the roads. :hmm:

TheGorrilla
4th Jan 2009, 20:48
Grief! :rolleyes:

I hope your company sent the bill for the diversion to the aerodrome operator (BAA?).

Henry VIII
7th Jan 2009, 14:51
Failed devices :
TDZ RVR may be replaced with MID RVR, if approved by State.
MID RVR or END RVR have no consequences.

frogone
7th Jan 2009, 15:03
Flew into Dublin one night with it reporting overcast at 100 feet, the visiblity was fine, just low cloud with LVPs in force.

Anyway they cleared the aircraft ahead for a CAT II approach (R28 is CAT III), thought nothing of it untill another aircraft ahead asked was CAT III available, to which approach replied that the Mid Point transmissometer was U\S and he could only offer CAT II. There's noting in our OPS manuals about this, so I don't know what reference he was using.

IR

Sir George Cayley
7th Jan 2009, 20:57
And what if you were capable of a CATlllC approach?

Shirley the RVR at the exit point is the only relevant reading?

Sir George Cayley

fireflybob
7th Jan 2009, 22:58
According our Ops Manual for Cat 2/3 if the touchdown transmissometer is u/s the mid point value may temporarily be used if the State approves this - not sure how you find out if State do so!