PDA

View Full Version : Use of wing / airfoil anti ice

micheloni
29th Dec 2008, 13:22
Hi,
I'll like to know your personally idea on how to use the" anti ice" for the wing during flight.

Do you use it as an anti ice, looking to ice forecast on signet or swc, or you switch it on when the ice formation is visible.

thanks and happy new year!
Mick

Capt Pit Bull
29th Dec 2008, 13:43
ANTI-ice.

The clue is in the name. Anti ice systems are intended to prevent the formation on ice in the first place.

Exactly what systems should be used when is type dependant, but generally in the 'always turned on' category (for things like pitot heaters) or the 'turn on during flight conditions that could cause ice to form' category for major pneumatic or electrical consumers such as aerofoil protection.

Not based on forecast met, but on actual conditions. Something like (visible moisture or vis<1mile) and (temp<some value).

pb

Mad (Flt) Scientist
29th Dec 2008, 19:13
Hi,
I'll like to know your personally idea on how to use the" anti ice" for the wing during flight.

Do you use it as an anti ice, looking to ice forecast on signet or swc, or you switch it on when the ice formation is visible.

I would emphasize in the strongest possible terms that you should use anti-ice or de-ice systems fitted to your aircraft precisely per the manufacturers instructions, as embodied in your approved manuals.

That's what was assumed when the aircraft was certificated as safe for flight; anything else and you just appointed yourself chief test pilot and designer, possibly with a bunch of unwilling and unaware test subjects along for the ride.

john_tullamarine
29th Dec 2008, 19:24
Adding to (while concurring with) MFS' comments -

(a) sometimes the OEM doesn't identify, successfully, all considerations at certification eg the Nomad forced landing following icing problems with an OEM FT crew.

(b) ongoing requirements for continuing airworthiness impose an obligation on the TC holder to modify instructions in the light of new knowledge gained from operations.

(c) AFM instructions and guidance do not derive from the OEM's folks sitting around a table drinking coffee and discussing the aircraft .. there is a wealth of test data behind the words of wisdom.

(d) and his critical point .. you ignore the TC holder's instructions and guidance at your potential peril.