PDA

View Full Version : Swanwick ATC Visit!

HeathrowAirport
28th Dec 2008, 09:40
Dear Whom it may Concern,

I am wishing to take upon a visit to the Swanwick LATCC in Southampton, as i am wishing to become a Commercial Airline Pilot and i have complete work experience at an airport environment in Bristol, were i worked with Airbus UK inside the hangars, and went airside to the ATC Tower.

I travelled daily from London too Bristol so i am very reliable. Getting up at 4 every morning and getting home at 9 every night for a week is remarkable for someone of my age.

I can provide any details needed that seem appropriate. Thanks!

Kindest Regards,

Robbie

NIFTY SO AND SO
29th Dec 2008, 01:45
be a workaholic.

Your truly

NIF t

Il Duce
29th Dec 2008, 18:40
OK, I'll be "Mr Picky"...................if you're aiming to be a commercial pilot, may I suggest that you concentrate on attaining your GCSE in English.

Admit it, the rest of you, you were thinking along the same lines.

Scott Diamond
29th Dec 2008, 21:15
Admit it, the rest of you, you were thinking along the same lines.

Indeed, though seeing some of the posts that so called (perhaps it's more self acclaimed) airline pilots plonk on this forum, I think our dear friend could fit in quite well!

wiccan
29th Dec 2008, 21:34
Indeed, though seeing some of the posts that so called (perhaps it's more self acclaimed) airline pilots plonk on this forum, I think our dear friend could fit in quite well!
Naahhh, He's prolly a total "Wannabee"...

However, to give him the benifit of the doubt, he may, just may be real.
IF he is, he "should" have....
a, Researched Pprune for ATC visits,
b, Gooogled the same
c, Tried the 'phone book
d, Hire a "Nursemaid"....to hold his hand...
bb

Scott Diamond
29th Dec 2008, 21:37
You all sound like monsters on here! :}

Suggest you do a little google search/search of these forums which will weild results on phone numbers for Swanwick (luckily, this option doesn't involve writing a letter).

G SXTY
29th Dec 2008, 23:11
Blimey, no wonder so many student pilots are scared of ATC . . . :E

I must hold my hand up here - it was me wot pointed our friend in the direction of this forum. "Ask nicely" I said, "they're a friendly bunch." ;)

PPRuNe Radar
30th Dec 2008, 00:49
Usually I find most of the 'spelling Nazis' either have small penises .. or are really crap controllers, or are social misfits who have no life.

That's after 30 years controlling, instructing, recruiting, and examining ... and I ain't been wrong so far :ok:

HeathrowAirport
30th Dec 2008, 04:22
I would not call myself a Wannabe... I have not said I am a pilot, so were does the conclusion come to that I am some social misfit who has no life, and thinks im going to become a pilot?

All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them. Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Yes I play the flight simulator, but who does not? Its a stepping stone to something big, Its only a hobby not a toy, I dont play it 24/7 becuase i find that sort of boring and after time just gets so called sad, geeky and playing a game 24/7 does not get you a Girlfreind or a social life, I admit it. But I play it regularly, when I have no work to do or i am bored stiff off British TV.

I remmember emailing or writing a letter - or was it a Phone call to NATS were my application for work experience as I was trying to hard with BAA and missed the deadline for Swanwick Work Experience.

Ill write them a letter, they seemed very helpfull last time.

Thanks,

Robbie

Pilotinmydreams
30th Dec 2008, 08:17
Keep following your dream and working hard and maybe one day you'll achieve it... and well done for getting up off your backside to try and do something with your life rather than hanging around on street corners causing trouble.

G SXTY
30th Dec 2008, 08:24
Radar - how do you know they've got small willies? Is that part of your examiner's remit?

PPRuNe Radar
30th Dec 2008, 11:07
I was going to say it was tongue in cheek ... but maybe this thread would end up in JetBlast then :)

Seriously though, it's a Bulletin Board, not an English exam.

Spelling does not in anyway affect how good a controller you are. Lots of people are simply natural at picking up the skills and characteristics required to make it in the industry. Others require to put a bit of effort in to get there but do so in the end, none of that effort requiring them to brush up on their spelling. And a small proportion of people struggle and never make it, regardless of their spelling prowess.

There are written exams along the way, but I've never seen anyone marked down because the spelling or grammar was technically wrong in places. They fail because they don't know the answers. There is also much more emphasis placed on practical and oral examinations as you progress towards being let loose as a licenced and valid controller. And that's exactly where the emphasis should lie.

anotherthing
30th Dec 2008, 11:17
This kind of attitude is shown even more in the R&N forum, but it is pathetic.

Good grammar and spelling is laudable but as PPRuNe Radar points out, is not necessary to become a good controller. In fact only just yesterday I helped a very capable ATCO with some (minor) spelling mistakes as he filled out a STAR report.

Doesn't make him any worse a controller than those who think they are Gods of written English. The same can be said for professional pilots.

Do you people who are so quick to jump down a 15 years olds throat have the same attitude to your trainees? If so, you must be a joy to work with :ugh:

classicwings
30th Dec 2008, 11:56
Getting up at 4 every morning and getting home at 9 every night for a week is remarkable for someone of my age.I am curious to find out what a typical 15 year old's sleeping pattern is like these days?!!:confused::}:confused:

How does the prospect of working night shifts (that means starting work at 2200 @ night and finishing at 0700 in the morning) sound every other week for the next 30+ years then? :confused::yuk::confused::yuk:

Scott Diamond
30th Dec 2008, 12:05
Usually I find most of the 'spelling Nazis' either have small penises .. or are really crap controllers, or are social misfits who have no life.

That's after 30 years controlling, instructing, recruiting, and examining ... and I ain't been wrong so far http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Yep, the dash (—) is bigger than mine, unfortunately :uhoh:

In a more serious way now, search the forums, google and grab a few numbers. Though if you did email them, send a letter or give them a ring before... then why didn't you try that first? I'm sure many interviewers like to see candidates thinking of their own arse these days! :E

I think it might just be our generation, Robbie, that's stuck onto the sims. Though I say that.. then look at the Oceanic chap that's been doing his rounds for so long on VATSIM! Some think he's been controlling on there more than he has in the real world :}

My earlier post waas one of those late-night sleepy head types, so my apologies for that!! Not what I usually say. := (have already punished myself :{)

Best of luck!!

classicwings
31st Dec 2008, 10:04
Or every 10 days in my case. Including tonight http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gifSo thats 2 night shifts out of every 10 day cycle then- (2M, 2A, 2N, 4D/O) OR do you count the 1st day off as a 'sleep' day with a remaining 3 D/O?!;):sad:

anotherthing
31st Dec 2008, 11:18
The inability to spell correctly is a sign of a poorly trained mind. This inability is not something to be either proud of, or boast about.
Similarly, ownership of a small penis is not something to be either proud of, or boast about :}.

The original poster was a 15 year old, typing on an internet forum FFS.

If people read the content of what he has written, instead of trying to critique the grammar, they will see that he seems to be quite a dedicated young man, which in this day and age of youth expecting things to be handed to them on a plate, is a good trait.

Gonzo
31st Dec 2008, 11:23
Robbie, I hope someone who works at Swanwick has been in contact with you. :ok:

On another matter, I'm wondering how PPRadar found out the correlation between size and being a spelling nazi.... :eek: