PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar closing Cns base quietly?

qantel
26th Dec 2008, 10:03
Heard Jetstar is closing it long haul base and cabin crew are being offered a transfer to Drw or stay in Cns with the short haul guys. The base manager is going to Drw and its all coming to an end up north.

So.... Not only have they pulled out of Nagoya and Osaka they have decided to Cairns was a bad idea too.

On Ya Jetstar!

GoGirl
26th Dec 2008, 10:16
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Dear me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Get a better source of information.

Yeah, how would I know? Um would rather not say, but it's about as close and reliable a source of information as you will ever get, trust me ;)

Regards
GG

SeldomFixit
26th Dec 2008, 10:54
I thought the Townsville refeuler had retired GG ? :eek:

GoGirl
26th Dec 2008, 11:09
hahahaha good call ;)

nah, I sleep in this 'refuellers' house - for now :O

GG

genex
26th Dec 2008, 19:59
Qantel....did you miss out on your Christmas presents?

Why not just type "I don't like Jetstar"....it's quicker than pretending to have "heard something"

Or.....PM me.....I know one of the guys who works in Network Planning for QF and he'd be sure to pass on your keen insights to the team that earn their living managing this stuff.

dizzylizzy
26th Dec 2008, 20:46
The base manager transfered to DRW = True. C.H. already gone.

Long Haul crew offerred to transfer to TeamJQ or SH as most of the flights will be crewed from sydney. Finally redundancies were offerred. And no this is not an antiJQ post.

roamingwolf
26th Dec 2008, 21:03
Heard Jetstar is closing it long haul base.The base manager is going to Drw and its all coming to an end up north.
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
Get a better source of information.
nah, I sleep in this 'refuellers' house - for now
You gotta love this game.
It could be another load of BS that gets posted here or the right hand is not talking to the left hand again.
If it's the last one then I bet someone 's gonna have some explaining to do:ooh:
Both are possible and I reckon we'll find out in the next couple of weeks

The Voice
26th Dec 2008, 21:16
well whatever is happening - DRW is about to bombarded with a bunch of trainee aircrrew - all scrambling for accom (what little there is) .. g/s starts 12 Jan ..

lowerlobe
26th Dec 2008, 21:28
all scrambling for accom
I wouldn't be too concerned about that because it appears that shared accomodation is the way things go up in the North.....especially if you are a refueller:E
nah, I sleep in this 'refuellers' house - for now

Sonique
26th Dec 2008, 21:50
Go Girl - a nice attempt at damage control P.R.

If the base isn't about to close then why are the JQ Int cabin crew rosters ex CNS mostly empty ? Could it be due to the fact that the only flights ex CNS for these crew are one direct NRT flight a day and a DRW-SIN flight on an A320 which will soon disappear ?

If you are so close to the source then tell me why the former AO hostie nicknamed '2 minute noodles' turned JQ CNS base manager has bolted to DRW ?

lowerlobe
26th Dec 2008, 22:15
Perhaps GoGirl is the 2 minute noodle girl......

One thing is for sure though....

If someone tells you they are opening a base in Cairns and there is a job for you there......RUN.

OchreOgre
26th Dec 2008, 22:58
"2 Minute Noodle", now that's a name I haven't heard for quite a while.:}

qantel
27th Dec 2008, 01:08
So basically Jq intl. is not the success they thought it would be out of Cns and now its 'shhhhh be quiet we wont tell anyone.... quick jump ship?

blow.n.gasket
27th Dec 2008, 06:26
Well Qantel I suppose it comes down to people accepting peanut class for an hour or so but for the many more hours that international travel entails
I'm not sure if this type of business model will be the panacea of all Qantas' ills.

QF DRIVE
27th Dec 2008, 09:27
I'll bite.Why 2 minute noodles ?

Sonique
27th Dec 2008, 20:30
1. She rose to the top within ' 2 minutes ' ( having had no prior airline experience )
2. Dreadful hair looked like ' Noodles ' .

It was an internal AO joke.

genex
27th Dec 2008, 20:52
Qantel.....was someone in a Jetstar uniform mean to you? Or did your mother eat too many oranges while she was pregnant? Would you really rather have a Group so set in its ways that it never tried anything new? Well actually as an AIPA member that would be what you think but perhaps I was asking a question that was mainly rhetorical but also better directed to the shareholders and the thinking classes amongst QFs employees.

As for the "peanut class" comment Gasket......look at the vast holiday charter market out of Europe. People will accept all manner of things to get their long awaited holiday. The model works....just not so common here.

Anyone waiting for high-cost-high-yield traffic to prop up QF Mainline will be waiting a long time. I doubt that the Board will want Jetstar to continue propping up the dinosaur operation for much longer.

And as for "panacea"....that is for ills not of them. And the ills so illustrative of dinosaur thinking (as well shown in your posts) will take way more than JQ Int'l to fix. 2009 is going to be a ride to remember. Hang on tight

roamingwolf
27th Dec 2008, 22:20
Would you really rather have a Group so set in its ways that it never tried anything new?
Good one mate but they thought of jetstar didn't they?
look at the vast holiday charter market out of Europe
another good one mate but most of europe is caucasian and it's been said a million times Japan isn't.
I doubt that the Board will want Jetstar to continue propping up the dinosaur operation for much longer.
mate,your best line of all.
Like the tail wagging the dog you've got the wrong end of the story with that one.
Mate,I agree with you about the domestic op because you've grabbed the bus and rail traffic like a rottweiler has a bone but thats not where the meat is anymore.

OneDotLow
27th Dec 2008, 23:31
Genex,

Once again you have proved in front of all, that you are indeed an idiot...:D

genex
27th Dec 2008, 23:35
Bit of basic airmanship advice mate...

If you ever get to fly a real big jet, crossing the fence One Dot Low might bite you one day.

I prefer accuracy myself but I learned to fly jets from professionals.

blow.n.gasket
27th Dec 2008, 23:51
Genex stop swallowing all your own rhetoric. You are as bad as all the Qantas people you belittle.
Let's compare apples with apples shall we.
This charter market you talk of ,what is the population fetch in Europe compared to Australia? What size charter market will Australia support in comparison to the established market in Europe? Will the general weather in Australia affect this new supposed untapped market?

JetStar the saviour? Still not convinced on that one mate.

Yes if you compare Jetstars A320 operation to Qantas' B737 operation large savings have been achieved and a sizable nonexistant market stimulated as a result of the lower airfares offered in a market where cheap airfares never existed prior.

If I recall the rates of pay and contract on the 737 were not even negotiated by AIPA nor in fact did Qantas have anything to do with this contract when it first came about thanks to that year that will never be mentioned. Were those pilots dinosaurs? What were the relative comparisons between those pilots and Qantas pilots of the time if a snap shot was taken. I think you would be surprised.

Let's compare the closest thing to the JetStar A330 contract shall we.
That would have to be the B767 in Qantas and even to a certain extent the A330 operation as well.
A rough look at these operations will show there is no where near the 30-40% price differential that is routinely touted around to justify the usurping of Qantas by JetStar.There has also been many cheaper International airline alternatives to Qantas , for a long time, yet Qantas still managed to prosper.

If Management were truly honest about reforming Qantas from a quasi Government entity into a modern day airline able to stand on it's own two feet ,why has Qantas still one of the highest staff to aircraft ratios in the world? How many years has Dixon had to effect this requirement? What sections of the company still require reform to bring them into line with modern day Internationally accepted standard practices?
I can bet you will find that Qantas Flight Ops will not be at the top of that list ,far from it!

It would appear to many in Qantas ,that Dixon took the easy road to reforming the business . He ignored Qantas and concentrated on his WorkChoices conceived bastard child instead.
Why? because that road would be an easier one to follow under a greenfields business case as delivered by WorkChoices.
Unfortunatey this plan(The Dixon Plan?) has had more twists and turns in it than Management's promises.
WorkChoices never eventuated as planned, management have been thwarted with late arrivals of new equipment thereby neutering any ability to use the operational redundancy provisions contained within.
A change of Federal Government prior to the full blown Workchoices package being delivered has meant a change in tactics.
What will this mean?

Unfortunately I belive it will mean even more bastardry from management
as they try to manoeuver around the laws of the land to give the best looking business model.
If you believe JetStar is in the box seat as a result of this, maybe.
I would however be looking over the ditch at New Zealand and any expansion of operations there and in Vietnam before I became too smug about my own situation. Where did Buchanan say the 787's would be going? A big hint here, not based in Australia!

Are Qantas pilots dinosaurs?
I don't believe so.
AIPA has proven it's bonafides many times in the past with reference to change.
Where I believe the problem lays is that AIPA in todays industrial landscape can never promote the required change quick enough, and still keep it' members on side to satisfy management's plans to line their own pockets. EBA8 may have been a result of this phenomenom.

There basically lies the problem.
WorkChoices created a revolution in the industrial landscape and unfortunately the responsible unions that wished to change and have changed with the times in the past could only do so at an evolutionary rate .A rate not quick enough to satisfy the wolves!
Does that qualify them as dinosaurs????

In a post recessionary world the dinosaurs I believe will be shown to be the business management pariah's who caused the financial meltdown in the first place!

OneDotLow
28th Dec 2008, 05:05
Bit of basic airmanship advice mate...

If you ever get to fly a real big jet, crossing the fence One Dot Low might bite you one day.

I prefer accuracy myself but I learned to fly jets from professionals.

Thanks for the airmanship lesson, Genex... :D

Ill watch out for that this evening when I 'get to fly a real big jet' whilst I go to work with another professional.

I don't even know if you fly or not, nor do I really care, but have you ever considered that it may be you and your uninformed opinion, and not necessarily JQ that people don't like here.

You're still a wally, "mate"! :rolleyes:

lowerlobe
28th Dec 2008, 05:11
I prefer accuracy myself
genex....After reading your posts it wouldn't appear to be the case......

KueEnHaitch
28th Dec 2008, 05:29
GenEx- you are my hero.:ok:
"Anyone waiting for high-cost-high-yield traffic to prop up QF Mainline will be waiting a long time. I doubt that the Board will want Jetstar to continue propping up the dinosaur operation for much longer."
I mean you honestly know what you are talking about. Obviously Qantas running daily flights out of Osaka, Tokyo, Fukuoka, Nagoya, Sapporo as well as other places in the past- which took them decades to cement in the Japanese market, but which ultimately was a real bread winner for Qantas- was flawed.
You should run the Qantas Group marketing strategy board- you have the same ideas as them. The Japanese love JetStar so much that the travel bureaus up there bus or train their passengers out of Osaka/Kobe and Nagoya to Narita to get on the Qantas flights. I operated many flights out of Osaka and Nagoya before they were given to Australian and ultimately JetStar and I can assure you that we never had more than 10 spare seats. So its working well- keep up the good work.
And as for that pesky onedotlow character. Obviously doesnt know what he is talking about. I mean why would you fly one dot low when you have a vasi set up for a jumbo and you are flying something with a lower eye crossing height? What a loser! Tell him to get a life.
:D

packrat
28th Dec 2008, 07:58
Jetstar domestic does what it was invented very well.
JetStar INT is a different story.Poor load factors;In and out of ports trying to make them work and failing.
JetStar in Japan doesnt pay commissions to travel agents and doesnt do package deals.This is what the market wants.JetStar doesnt satisfy the market.
Cost apportioning by mainline and it still bleeds red ink.
Dixons illegitimate child needs to be closed down.
Rumours around suggest that it might merge with AirAsia

genex
28th Dec 2008, 08:39
This is the silly season isn't it? We're getting done at the MCG...lighten up. I don't even believe half of what I think let alone what I write so don't take it too seriously.

Too elaborate a little.....

Passengers are not stupid....they do vote with their feet. Being good as an airline management team means being vaguely ahead of the game and having something the passengers want, good, bad or indifferent

Cross the threshold with as many dots either way as you like....you shouldn't be looking then anyway....just touchdown in the right place and stop well before the far end

AIPA is the sum total of its members-their actions and inactions, their bigotry and their ideals, their pro-activeness and re-activeness, their pride and their humility. That's it. What AIPA gets is what it deserves.

And to be rude....or biased...on the matter of "real jets"

There are no VH registered 777s yet in service and if you're flying anything else you are, as Paul Keating said...."Camping Out"

Other than that, hope you all had a Happy Christmas and that 2009 will be fun. If reading anything I write troubles you....don't. Your life will be neither better nor worse for that omission.

Door_One_Right
28th Dec 2008, 08:52
I'd be interested to know how the hybrid International services on their domestic aircraft are doing - loads and yields. I know they're promoting DRW as a strategic hub, which would explain the shift of focus from CNS.

TMAK
28th Dec 2008, 10:10
I know the talk has focused on JQI and its pros/cons, but didnt this thread start about the crew base and not whether about the flights terminating?

Havent heard rumours of either, but even if the base was to close, doesnt mean the flights wont operate. There is the same level of activity as there has been for the past year ex CNS (1 x A330 & 1 x A320), neither of which really need a crew base.

In particular DRW/SIN is better crewed from DRW, as not overnights needed. Lets wait and see.....

aulglarse
29th Dec 2008, 00:29
TMAK, as you say lets' see what happens to the proposed DRW A320/1 base (by mid 2009).

The inital set-up will happen when ( and how more likely) JQ can get tech crews. The first of many f/a ground schools was completed last month, with more to follow under the Team J* 'banner'.

dizzylizzy
1st Jan 2009, 02:27
Is the CNS base closed yet? Come on tick tock.