PDA

View Full Version : UK - CTA and CTR hours

Nipper2
24th Dec 2008, 08:09
If an airport in Class D airspace is Notamed as closed on Christmas day (several are) what is the status of the CTA and CTR during this time?

My assumption (a very dangerous thing) would be that both the CTR and the CTA would be inactive and would revert to Class G. Is this correct?

I am quite clear that the Class A above remains active.

Please can some one with more knowledge than me advise...

Chilli Monster
24th Dec 2008, 12:57
The AIP states for many airports that the airspace hours are co-incident with the airport hours. So, if they're shut, then the associated CTR / CTA are collapsed and the airspace reverts to class 'G' at the same time.

Grabbers
24th Dec 2008, 14:17
The NOTAM should state the status of the CTR/CTA somewhere in the text. I know my airfield is closed periodically over the hols and with it the CTR/CTA. Investigate the NOTAM text and if in doubt London Info is a good place to start when airborne.

Nipper2
24th Dec 2008, 17:03
Thanks Chilli and Grabbers

As is often the case, the answers received here are a good description of what should happen, but not of what has actually happened.

The Notam simply states that the airfield is shut.

"25 DEC AD CLOSED. UNAVAILABLE TO ALL TRAFFIC."

No mention of CTA or CTR hours.

I have checked the Enroute Notams but can't find anything.

The airfield plates on the IAIP direct you to ENR 2.1 (Enroute) which tells me the hours are as advertised and as advised by Notam.

....... So I rang the airfield in question. They were pretty clear that the CTR would revert to Class D but less certain about the CTA. The CTA is shared by another adjacent airfield (which is also Notamed shut on the 25th so it's a fair bet but....)

My understanding is that the SAM STAR and SID for Gatwick and Heathrow all route via the Class A above the CTR/CTA so should not be an issue.

I'll give London Information a call once I'm airborne (weather permitting) - it's a good bet that they won't know either.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Grabbers
24th Dec 2008, 20:04
You could always just turn your transponder off for the duration of the flight, duck low to avoid any radar that may track you, and go whizzing through. What can possibly go wrong?

Nipper2
25th Dec 2008, 19:06
One can perform six consecutive rolls over a 1723m runway without overflying the ends.....

Grabbers
25th Dec 2008, 21:33
Nipper 2

I don't even know what that means. Sounds cool though!

TCAS FAN
26th Dec 2008, 08:54
Nipper 2

How about New Year's Day? Just get on the ground at Roughay before 0900 when the undeclared Class G airspace becomes the SOU CTR again. Shame on NATS for not publishing revised CTR/CTA hours over the Christmas/New Year period.

Don't forget if you are not landing on it, a runway is legally a "structure", so nothing below 500FT!

Happy New Year, see you inverted next Christmas day?

Nipper2
26th Dec 2008, 18:44
Is it still a runway if it's declared shut? Surely just another lump of concrete....

Just for the record, I never went below 1500 feet (my current aeros base).

Nice idea for New Year though....