PDA

View Full Version : question for air traffic controllers

81d
22nd Dec 2008, 08:59
Hi there

Just wondering how long does i take Air traffic controllers to be passed out say eg Gatwick tower in all positions.

Iam a train driver by proffession and have to learn everything about the routes i drive iam into avation as a hobby i was parked in the sidings yesterday which is right on the approach to 26L and it was busy the runway and ground controllers giving out instructions.

cheers
mick

SilentHandover
22nd Dec 2008, 09:16
There are many variables in training time, including trainees previous experience, number of instructors available, time of year training is taking place, trainees rate of learning. But as a ball park figure for somewhere like Gatwick I'd say about 9-12 months live training. Other units will vary, for example a colleague of mine have just completed training in both tower and radar at Farnborough in just under 14 months from arriving on the unit.

This is all on top of between 6 and 9 months at college to gain the ratings in the first place.

gatterz
22nd Dec 2008, 18:25
NATS dominate ATC in the UK, and with them if you were to apply now the earliest you would start college is July 09, but probably months later. Then its 6/9 months at college, and live training after that.

But I notice you're aged 38, I think to start from scratch with NATS you need to be <35.

Perhaps look at smaller airfields, Biggin Hill or Shoreham if you live near the Brighton mainline.