PDA

View Full Version : Airbus AOA

IFLY_INDIGO
21st Dec 2008, 01:49
Hi there, I am a bus driver flying A320. Can anyone please tell me how 'in flight' I can find out my AOA using MCDU?

thanks in advance

bflyer
21st Dec 2008, 03:15
Hi

On the MCDU, select AIDS, then select ALPHA PARAMETERS

Henry VIII
21st Dec 2008, 12:36
Insert "AOA" and the sys will show you the "corrected angle of attack" in degrees.

bflyer
21st Dec 2008, 12:47
Ooops...thanks for completing what i have omitted
my apologies your majesty :O

Henry VIII
21st Dec 2008, 13:10
Ciao . . . ;)

IFLY_INDIGO
21st Dec 2008, 14:25
THANKS TO YOU ALL...

Is there any pdf file available on net which contains all MCDU input codes?

TO MEMO
21st Dec 2008, 16:19
Indigo,

I have one! PM me with your email and I`ll send you one

Meikleour
21st Dec 2008, 16:59
Indigo

Switch off the flight directors, then display the `bird` - now you can see your AOA - it is the difference between the pitch angle and the bird. Same principle for any stage of flight.

Wodrick
21st Dec 2008, 21:26
You should really only get the list from your AMM and use the one for the correct engine type as they are different. Just my 2€

Henry VIII
21st Dec 2008, 21:36
Just my 2€ till recently was 2 cents... :ooh: when you say inflation... :sad:

bobrun
21st Dec 2008, 23:57
Switch off the flight directors, then display the `bird` - now you can see your AOA - it is the difference between the pitch angle and the bird. Same principle for any stage of flight

Not exactly the same, since the wing's chord line isn't always parallel with the aircraft's longitudinal axis. Certainly isn't on the airbus.

The aoa is the relation between the wing's chord line and the airflow. Comparing the FPV with the pitch angle would be similar to comparing the airflow with the aircraft's longitudinal axis instead of the chord line.

Meikleour
23rd Dec 2008, 16:21
Bobrun

Thanks for your input. You are of course referring to the Angle if Incidence (aka riggers angle) not being the same as the aircraft axis.

Its been some years now since I flew the A340 and did actually compare the AOA from the MCDU with the PA in the cruise and bearing in mind the errors in measured values which Airbus state for the Angle of Attack Vanes but I don`t remember the two values being hugely different. Since AOA is not displayed directly I thought that I was offering INDIGO a `quick and dirty` method of finding the AOA - for what ever reasons he needs this!!
By the way, the light aircraft that I have built has a wing angle of incidence of only 2 degrees and I would be most surprised if the Airbus value is anything like that - however I only fly them . I do not build them!

TyroPicard
23rd Dec 2008, 21:01
But Shirley...
The AOA vanes measure the airflow relative to the fuselage on which they are mounted, not the wing. Is this value displayed unchanged, or is it modified to account for riggers' angle?
And Meikleour's suggestion of using the bird has great merit - it shows you how AOA/Cl varies in different configs and at different speeds, a non-stop aerodynamics lesson in flight instead of the classroom.