PDA

View Full Version : How fast can u exit the runway after ldg on a HST

airbusa320pro
19th Dec 2008, 14:38
:confused:

bar none
19th Dec 2008, 14:54
If you land on a HST you are definitely exiting the runway!

William A Bong
19th Dec 2008, 15:03
There does not seem to be any "official" guidance from either the CAA or the FAA.

But, according to the Transport Canada website, depending on the angle of the HST, in the wet it would be either 50 or 35 knots.

William

forget
19th Dec 2008, 15:04
FAA Definition.

HIGH SPEED TAXIWAY - A long radius taxiway designed and provided with lighting or marking to define the path of aircraft, traveling at high speed (up to 60 knots), from the runway center to a point on the center of a taxiway. Also referred to as long radius exit or turn-off taxiway. The high speed taxiway is designed to expedite aircraft turning off the runway after landing, thus reducing runway occupancy time.

Sepp
19th Dec 2008, 15:19
The geometry, characteristics and parameters of RETs are standardised, both in Annex 14 and the Aerodrome Design Manual, Part 2, and should permit exit at up to 93km/h (rwy codes 3 or 4) or 65km/h (rwy codes 1 or 2) even when wet.

"Airport Design and Operation" (Kazda & Caves) is an excellent source of information for those interested in such things... or with rampant insomnia :)

Cyclone733
19th Dec 2008, 15:28
In terms of time, depends if I foul up and float at which point the answer is pretty damn quickly.

In terms of speed I've seen people have to put power on to keep the controllers happy

oxenos
19th Dec 2008, 15:31
3 wheels good, 2 wheels bad

nautique
19th Dec 2008, 15:54
Maximum of 55kts in ideal conditions.

WannabeAirbusFlyer
19th Dec 2008, 16:33
I've exited with an A320 on a high speed taxiway at around 40 knots once, which seemed rather cool :)

The Tower controller had in fact requested us during the approach to use that particular taxiway, to help him maintain the sequence.

Port Strobe
19th Dec 2008, 16:49
Perhaps BAA should install GATSOs that work in the opposite sense to those on the roads and we'd soon find out - 50 knots minimum for a kick off sound fair? :ok:

BOAC
19th Dec 2008, 17:27
I believe the generally 'accepted' max speed is 60kts for medium a/c, but NB ICAO do not specify a max - maybe your company has a limit? It also depends on the layout of the HST (RET) - if it has a sharp turn or crosses another route not far down it you need to be slower than if it has a long straight run like 'FR' on LGW 26L. IFALPA recommends that the HST/RET be used mainly to aid a more rapid exit of the runway and not for completion of the landing roll.

Jetjock330
19th Dec 2008, 17:29
Found some more info:
(http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/secretariat/terminology/glossary/h.htm#high_speed_taxiway)
high speed taxiway

A long-radius taxiway designed and provided with lighting or marking to define the path of aircraft, travelling at high speed (up to 60 kt), from the runway centre to a point on the centre of a taxiway. The high speed taxiway is designed to expedite aircraft turning off the runway after landing, thus reducing runway occupancy time.

also called: high speed exit, high speed turnoff, long radius exit, rapid exit taxiway and turnoff taxiway
Fr: voie de sortie rapide

Intruder
19th Dec 2008, 17:46
Our manual sez 60 Kt (747).

point8six
19th Dec 2008, 19:18
INTRUDER I do hope that is a dry limitation in your manual!:eek:

Henry VIII
19th Dec 2008, 19:34
On some Buses FCOM 3.1.20 states a taxi speed limitation.
In my case when above 76 tons "do not exceed a taxi speed of 20 Kts during a turn".

Sepp
19th Dec 2008, 19:46
This is hopefully also of interest, for those operating in Euro-land:

http://www.eurocontrol.int/airports/gallery/content/public/html/Free%20Up%20The%20Runway/documents/Rapid%20Exit%20Taxiways.doc.

Intruder
19th Dec 2008, 19:47
INTRUDER I do hope that is a dry limitation in your manual!
It's not specified. I suppose they decided to let us use our judgement on this one thing...