PDA

View Full Version : Flying and Physique

dream747
19th Dec 2008, 00:32
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum (please move it if anyone has to).

I have manged to pass a class 1 medical examination but I have a poor physique so as to speak. I only stand at 1.68m and weigh 50kg; exceptionally small and short even for asians. I wonder if this poses a problem in flying? I have experience on the Cessnas and Pipers and basically my seat is almost adjusted to the most forward position. I'm concerned about the future if I do eventually move on to airliners: will I be able to reach the throttle levers, have enough strength/height to depress the rudder pedals, fly with the yoke (the B747 yoke looks really huge and it seems like you'd require a lot of strength, will the seats be able to be adjusted that far front.. etc?

This is just a random thought that came into my mind and I thought it was pretty well worth asking. I'm curious that's all, thanks for any inputs!

Thanks all for reading! Fly Safe:)

bsal
19th Dec 2008, 00:47
Most of the instructors at my training school are 5ft 6in and they don't have any problems. Sure your better off being short when flying C150/152 :) anyway. The controls in commercial aircraft are powered too and the pedals are adjustable. No worries man.

bucket_and_spade
19th Dec 2008, 10:52
Absolutely no problem. As has been said, the controls are power-assisted and the seat/pedals are practically infinitely adjustable, in my experience.

mona lot
19th Dec 2008, 11:20
Ever heard of manual reversion?

FLCH
19th Dec 2008, 11:22
Dream, I'm smaller than you are (but unfortunately heavier) and I don't have any problems in the 757/767. Except when passengers look at me a go "Boy he's such a small pilot, but he has a HUGE watch !!"

Clandestino
19th Dec 2008, 12:17
Ever heard of manual reversion?

Not in FBW airbi.

dream747
20th Dec 2008, 02:40
Guys thanks for the feedback!

I mean just wondering for comparison's sake... even with all the cables/FBW on modern airliners, how much more pressure is needed for the yoke and rudders on the B747 as compared to a Cessna for example?

FLCH, I was pretty concerned for myself as well... I mean when I walk around I see pilots, they really have a good physique... nevermind the 50+ ones:}

Chuffer Chadley
20th Dec 2008, 11:56
Hmmmm.

This talk of powered controls in airliners is all very well, but there are still quite a few that just don't have that feature! I have heard tales of a (female) pilot failing to proficiently handle a heavy turbo passenger airliner, due to inadequate upper body strength.

I can understand that, speaking as a man of average strength, I need to apply what feel to me like significant control forces during some approaches. Certainly more force required than when flying a C152 of PA28, at least 50% more.

Having said that, I am sure that if you find yourself a bit light in this area, a bit of time in the gym will fix it up no problem, so don't let it put you off!

CC

Semu
20th Dec 2008, 19:44
Probably the only aircraft you would have trouble with would be the older ones, and then just briefly. We had a petite FO on the Convair 240 that had a bit of trouble when landing empty, but she made it work. In this day and age, you are unlikely to fly anything older than seventies vintage, so as long as you make good friends with the trim (and I doubt you will obtain a commercial without doing so anyway) you should be just fine. Spend your time worrying about the economy and finding an ethical employeer instead.

dream747
20th Dec 2008, 22:56
Guys thanks a lot for the feedback I appreciate it very much!