PDA

View Full Version : RR BR715A1-30 engine question please help!!!

Orangputi
17th Dec 2008, 03:41
With respect to the RR BR715A1-30 engine fitted to the B717. Could anyone provide information by way of an SB etc for the mandatory requirments if this engine has been dropped during an engine change!

I have been told that there is a mandatory replacement of the #1,2 main engine bearings and the replacement of the #4 and 5 bearing outer races as well as the replacment of the No 5 bearing.

I have tried to find the SB that quotes this but no joy, anyone out there can help?

Thanks in advance.:ok:

spannersatKL
17th Dec 2008, 07:32
Don't think there will be as this is no ordinary 'failure' that would be met as an every day occurence. If not in Conditional Inspections in AMM then seek advice of OEM and send it back to the shop for inspection (along with a large cheque).

IFIX
17th Dec 2008, 09:29
If the impact was severe enough you could very well end up with a bent shaft:sad:

I know of a RR Tay that was dropped while unloading from the truck it came on.
It was a costly mistake indeed.

galaxy flyer
18th Dec 2008, 22:37
I sure hope any engine that I am using for flight AND has been dropped-is looked at VERY closely.

How do they get dropped anyway? :eek:
GF

RB Thruster
19th Dec 2008, 18:12
Depends what you mean by dropped.....was it still in the stand? etc.

However as a minimum the engine needs to be declared unserviceable and RR tech services and your overhaul provider contacted.

After that it needs to be assessed, but I would expect a shop visit for the engine to be bulk stripped and the shafts, bearings and casings inspected and/or replaced.

Big bucks and an insurance job I'm afraid.

:= How did it happen?