PDA

View Full Version : Emirates takes North Pole route

Panama Jack
16th Dec 2008, 14:41
Now in addition to 24-hour nightstops after an ultra-long haul flight to the US West Coast, the boys at Emirates will be getting their balls radiated on a regular basis:

Emirates plans frequent use of polar routeings to serve its newest US West Coast destinations, building on work initiated in 2000.

The carrier plans to operate a North Pole track on its inaugural Dubai-San Francisco flight on 15 December as part of several initiatives to save 7,570 litres (2,000USgal) of fuel and 13,610kg (30,000lb) of carbon emissions on the flight.

Emirates has authority for 207min extended range twin-engine operations for its Boeing 777-200LR fleet used to recently inaugurate flights to Los Angeles and San Francisco.

"The difference of the routeing on the day indicates that flying the polar track versus a more westerly routing can save up to 20min," says Emirates of its new San Francisco flight.

During planning for the service launch to the two US west coast cities Emirates says it became clear that at certain times of the year routeing east traffic out of Dubai and heading for the polar region was the optimum route.

Although Emirates expected to use the routeing during certain months of the year, it says that "since starting flights to Los Angeles [on 26 October], the route has come up more often as the best on the day".

While its dispatchers always select the optimum route on the day, Emirates expects both services will use this route frequently.

Key to operation of polar routes by Emirates was reaching an agreement with the Russian government.

"Predominant traffic flows are west-east and we started requesting additional segments and straightening of airways to allow us to operate south-north and optimise routes for our northern Europe, New York Kennedy and Houston flights," the carrier says.

Once it determined polar routeing was optimal from Dubai to Los Angeles and San Francisco at certain times of the year, Emirates worked with Russian authorities to ensure the availability of the route. Emirates has added 16 additional segments in the Polar routing framework.

Source: US West Coast launch bolsters use of polar routes by Emirates (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/12/12/320076/us-west-coast-launch-bolsters-use-of-polar-routes-by.html)

I am wondering whether your company will be tracking Cosmic Radiation exposure for EK crews and adjusting their schedules appropriately?

In any case guys, please be extra careful during the next few days so that none of this will have an unhappy ending:

http://www.uberreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/santa-airplane.jpg

Merry Christmas and all the best in 2009.

Wizofoz
16th Dec 2008, 15:24
Now in addition to 24-hour nightstops after an ultra-long haul flight to the US West Coast,

We don't. 48-72hrs. Yes, they tried it on with Houston and could have wall papered the new HQ with the ASRs (including mine).

I am wondering whether your company will be tracking Cosmic Radiation exposure for EK crews and adjusting their schedules appropriately?

No, we will be tracking sunspot activity and adjusting routes and cruising levels appropriately. In addition, our rostering system pretty much guarantees no one would be getting more than one of these trips a month.

Several airlines are now using the Polar routes, the potential savings being very significant, why single out EK?

Merry Christmas and all the best in 2009.

And to you. Perhaps a new years resolution to check facts before posting on PROON?

pool
16th Dec 2008, 15:49
Well, been there, done that, since 1985.
Four kids (that I know of) and still going strong.
EK is not the first anywhere, all though for most of the fleet gurus and instructors it might apply here, this route has been flown before ....... :ugh:

Fluke
16th Dec 2008, 15:56
Hey where did I leave that Arctic survival suit ?

Will life jackets go the same way as we never need them ! :ugh:

Panama Jack
16th Dec 2008, 16:01
Perhaps a new years resolution to check facts before posting on PPRuNe?

There is no nastiness in my message, and I am sorry if you mistook my tone or felt offended. My comment on the 24-hour nightstops comes based on the moans and complaints of EK crews who were told this is what to expect. I haven't read anything since then, but I am glad it is not so and that you guys got it resolved.

My curiousity about the polar flights stems from the fact that most of the regions' carriers work their crews somewhere near full throttle most of the time. I know that you are not the only people going over the Pole, but I understand that some other airlines track these things, and so I was wondering what will be done at EK.

I'll make it my New Year's resolution that the next time I want to confirm any rumours about EK, I'll touch base with you first. ;)

mensaboy
16th Dec 2008, 17:31
I think Panama has been fair, based on past EK management decisions. They tried and succeeded in having a ridiculously short layover after an ultra-long flight. The only thing that changed that was consistent ASR's. They are still persisting in having pilots 'attempt' rest in unsuitable business class seats during a long flight. They place CRC's in the aft of aircraft, with the resultant concerns for flight safety and rest.

EK management will not do anything to track radiation levels for pilots, other than a 'perceived' tracking of such. I have no doubt whatsoever that the statistics or data will be massaged to suit the economic needs of the company.

These clowns don't give a rats ass about our health. The only recourse we have is to file ASR's.

Wizofoz
16th Dec 2008, 18:01
My mistake,

Don't know how I could have mistaken:-

Now in addition to 24-hour nightstops after an ultra-long haul flight to the US West Coast, the boys at Emirates will be getting their balls radiated on a regular basis:

as being nasty, or as a statement of (inaccurate) fact, rather than a polite query.

I'll ramp up my ESP next time you post....

Bypass ratio
16th Dec 2008, 18:08
We were originally planned to LAX via Polar route 1, but because the weather in Bodo was below ETOPS minima we were re-routed on a more southerly track. If you type NPOLE into the fix page, it will tell you how close you get to the geographic North Pole. Weather briefing package contains Space weather forecasts which indicate on a scale of 1-minor to 5-extreme the incidences of Solar Radiation Storms, Geomagnetic Storms and Radio Blackouts. At the moment the complete crossing is in total darkness and it's a little eery seeing the sunset, sunrise & sunset again. I assume in the Northern Hemisphere Summer it will be total daylight? Which would make for some fantastic photographs. Make sure you bring your sunglasses though. Also, ND went from MAG to TRU automatically at about 82 degrees north, Can't remember when it changed back as I was probably asleep. In fact, I am always asleep.....Keep recovering....12 hour time zone change can't be good for you

forget
16th Dec 2008, 19:27
Without the kinks :)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/ek.jpg

Trader
17th Dec 2008, 06:23
Governments, airlines and pilot unions have been watching radiation levels for over a decade now and none have come up with any evidence that there is a threat. That is not to say there is none - just nothing that has been found as of yet.

MrMachfivepointfive
17th Dec 2008, 11:59
Just watched the Discovery docu: 'Greatest NASA missions'.
Those Apollo guys were exposed to the equivalent of 10000 chest X-rays going to the moon and back, basically wrapped in tin foil. 40 years down they are all still going strong and looking great. Stop crying about the .000000000000000000000011 millisivert at N78. The drink and fag at the hotel bar after arrival do more harm.

halas
17th Dec 2008, 14:09
Thanks for the info Bypass Ratio.

NOAA have the K indicies on their web site if you need an independant source.

Did OMDB - KIAH up to 75 North earlier this year, so not much different really. Still feel the urge, if not more. Or is that a way-over-40-something thing? :O

halas