View Full Version : What Types to Consider?

Agaricus bisporus
13th Dec 2008, 13:07
£300,000 to spend.

Looking for practical, single engined aeroplane, possibly pressurised. Need 6 seats (prob use only 4 + bags most of the time) for UK and near Eu. Intend eventually fly by PPL owner.

Airways, autopilot etc etc.

What types fsll into this caregory?

Big ones are my thing, don't know much about singles. Advise appreciated.

172driver
13th Dec 2008, 13:43
210P (if you can find one)?

Shunter
13th Dec 2008, 16:24
There's a PA-46-350P (http://www.avbuyer.com/AircraftSales/AircraftResults.asp?AId=21879) for sale at the moment, G-reg, based in Switzerland, might suit your requirements? Damn nice choice, 200kt+, pressurised, 6 seats, FL250 ceiling etc...

vanHorck
13th Dec 2008, 16:33
If you re used flying big ones, why the single requirement. Somebody else suggested a Seneca and i d agree.

Especially if you intend to do flying in the winter too, over mountains (Alps, Pyrenees etc), long stretches of water, why not consider the twin option.

Seneca's are a proven solid known ice platform for serious cruising and for 300K you get a hell of a lot more than if you choose a single these days...

In fact you ll pick up a very clean version III or IV for some 200K or less. That s a lot of money you can put in the tanks.....

If you do go for the Seneca, I'd recommend you get the Gami injectors and the JPI 760, with probes on all cylinders. It'll allow you to fly safely lean of peak (saves money) and allows you much better engine control.

I had my props also dynamically balanced and it's worth it, beautifully smooth!

172driver
13th Dec 2008, 16:46
Actually, following Shunter's link, I looked around and came upon this one (http://www.avbuyer.com/Dealers/DealerResults.asp?Id=1582); scroll down, second from top, don't seem to able to link directly to the a/c.

IO540
13th Dec 2008, 19:17
Intend eventually fly by PPL owner.

What does this mean? Do you not have a license yet, or do you intend to hire (or use) a PPL pilot to fly you around?

A PA46 is not a 6-seater if you want any range but would be OK for the UK and short hops to Europe. Otherwise it is a 2-seater.

£300k is a decent budget. You can trade between something new (not much around that's a 6-seater though) and something old but pretty capable.

Agaricus bisporus
14th Dec 2008, 20:45
Thanks guys. Hadn't realised that such craft were so scarce.

What might I get unpressurised for the same money?

I'd thought to stay away from twins due to operating cost/

Can anyone illustrate operating costs between a Seneca IV/V and a Malibu?

scooter boy
14th Dec 2008, 21:23
Why 6 seats?
How many of your flights will be with 4 on board?
Are two of the four children?

With aircraft (just as with cars) you pay for the extra seats (greater x-sectional area and cabin length) with wasted avgas.

Singles are expensive enough to operate in Europe, the economics of ownership mean that even in the USA avgas twins have had their day.

Think Mooney Ovation.

SB