View Full Version : Are Ryanair no longer hiring former employees?

somethingclever
13th Dec 2008, 11:05
Hello, long time reader but first poster. I heard from a colleague today that Ryanair are now turning down applications from former employees of the company? Sounds very strange to me, can anyone confirm this? Basically he said if you worked for them and left you can not return again.

Thank you.

Denti
13th Dec 2008, 11:09
Many companies do that, especially in times where there is a big surplus of experienced pilots out there. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

frogone
13th Dec 2008, 11:13
Probably if you left on 'bad terms' they won't let you back in the door.

Like any company, if you resign, give your required notice and pay your bond if you're bonded. What's the point in dragging your name through the sh1t??

IR

OldChinaHand
13th Dec 2008, 11:21
Its not true. FR are selective about who they accept back but they do re-hire former employees. Alas, if you dirtied your bib, I think there is no chance of return.

The Real Slim Shady
13th Dec 2008, 11:38
FR do take back former employees, however, at the moment there is not much demand for anything other than F/Os.

CamelhAir
13th Dec 2008, 14:48
at the moment there is not much demand for anything other than F/Os.

In order to keep the training section profitable that is. There's no demand for more F/O's to actually fly the line.
The score is simple: F/O's are being forced on illegal unpaid leave, so obviosuly more recruits are not needed. But: it's cheaper to have trainees fly than "expensive" F/O's, so newbies are merely there to shaft the more established guys.
But's it a zero sum game as this years newbies will be next years illegal unpaid leave recipients as the amount of aircraft parked up increases dramatically next year. Remember: fr are in enormous financial doo doo.

Slim, why don't you reveal to us your vested interest in encouraging applicants to pay big money to buy a job at ryanair when it's obvious they are utterly unneeded and will be unpaid for significant amounts of time in the future?

Day_Dreamer
13th Dec 2008, 16:39
Camelhair
What a load of absolute .......You post
Get a life man and stop acting like a small self indulgent child.
You spend too much time on here spouting anti RYR retoric, this makes me wonder if you have a proper job, and even if you do, you would probably having nothing good to say about your employer, your just that type of low life.
Lay off RYR, and remember that those at RYR are there by choice and have passed both selection and a high standard training course.
If RYR are in trouble put up the truth supported by facts not rumour, otherwise wind your neck in, you are becoming stale and repetative in the extreem.

CamelhAir
13th Dec 2008, 17:45
What a load of absolute .......You post

So you deny all the following:

that aircraft are being parked up.
That ryanair are overcrewed.
that F/O's are getting forced unpaid leave.
That ryanair employ such tactics as leaving higher paid pilots at home while trainees fly.
that buying a job in an overcrewed airline is a bad idea.
that ryanair will break even at best in 08.
that ryanair will make a huge loss in 09.
that 50 new aircraft in 6 months in the face of declining load factors and average fares is a bad idea.

If RYR are in trouble put up the truth supported by facts not rumour

Its called common sense and ryanairs guidance to the market. Consult your local friendly stock market analyst. Or just check out the (useless) value of share options.

otherwise wind your neck in, you are becoming stale and repetative in the extreem.

Ok, don't read my posts. I'm sure there are plenty of cloud bunnies in la la land to tell you how great it all is. Or do you have some agenda to bury inconvenient truths and opinions?

Day_Dreamer
13th Dec 2008, 18:32
I have just read your post
Yes I agree with the following.

That aircraft are being parked up.
That Ryanair are over crewed.
That F/O's are getting forced unpaid leave.
That Ryanair employ such tactics as leaving higher paid pilots at home while trainees fly.

Answers :-
Aircraft parked up, good economic sense especially as they were so cheap to buy.
Over crewed only during the winter months while aircraft are parked up, becoming Under crewed when new equipment arrives.
It pays to keep crews trained and current and available when needed.
Forced leave in times of lower workload means nothing in RYR, you are not working so its better to have you on leave free from duty than on Contactable or Standby when they know you will not be needed.
Again the Hours will balance over a full year so no loss to the majority on either a RYR or Brookfield contract. At least RYR get a yearly basic.
The cheaper crews on a Brookfield contract will just have to wait a month or so to get back to the average monthly hours.

Good economic sense to use those on lower rates more than the higher, as the money earned will be basically the same for all.

Greed seems to rule your ego, i.e. why should i earn less this year than last
Answer You signed the contract and accepted the terms.
The contract did not state you would fly a minimum number of hours each year.
It is better to share the work out evenly throughout the year than have some earning big bucks and others much less.
I am willing to bet at the end of 12 months the F/O's will be in the region of 800 to 850 hours regardless.
Or do you want the lions share and sod the others. (Probably your one of those ME and only ME type of people)

Planned recruitment for 2009 has started with the holding pool already filling up, if there is to be a downturn they will not be taken on but i feel sure that the courses will be full when they start again in 2009.

RYR Management have sense and the Airline will survive especially as oil is $46 per barrel.
Finally the deal on new aircraft was one of the industries most innovative and I am sure that the cost to RYR is well below market rates and will remain so for several years to come.

The Real Slim Shady
14th Dec 2008, 10:01
Well done DayDreamer.

I cannot believe the absolute crass hypocrisy of the Camel:he hijacks every thread about Ryanair to bang his well worn drum to his own lamentable beat.

Give it a rest Camel, we all know you have chips on both shoulders: leave your ID with the Base Captain and close the door when you leave.

If you don't like it stop taking the money and find another job elsewhere!

captjns
14th Dec 2008, 11:06
Hey... am I missing something here? Isn't this thread supposed to be about the prospects of former employees of Ryanair being rehired with the company?

The Real Slim Shady
14th Dec 2008, 11:26
Yep, thread hijack by Camel.

Nightfire
14th Dec 2008, 14:34
Well, the thread is going off topic, and we've all heard of and read many things about Ryanair.
Here, we want to discuss about wether or not it's possible to re-join them after you left.

However, personally I totally agree with CamelhAir. :ok:

Nightfire
14th Dec 2008, 14:52
Well, the thread is going off topic, and we've all heard of and read many things about Ryanair.
Here, we want to discuss about wether or not it's possible to re-join them after you left.

However, personally I totally agree with CamelhAir. :ok:

BALLSOUT
15th Dec 2008, 23:17
To anser the question. Yes, they do take back pilots that have left. However, it goes as far as the board room for each application, and very few make it back.

clear prop!!!
16th Dec 2008, 00:33
If I were an employer, I would ask myself, ..why would I employ someone who has already left? then, wants, for whatever reason, to come back??

They are obviously capable of leaving again, so why should I invest time and money, when there are so many other candidates out there who might, be a little more loyal to my cause.

OK, they may have left to better themselves elesewhere, at someonelses expense, but, am I yet another short term stepping stone?

Continuity is what it's all about for employers. They 'might' find it from a new recruit, but what chances from someone who has already shown that they will leave at the drop of a hat?

Having said all that there may well be some good reasons, but, they would have to be bloody good!!

bushbolox
16th Dec 2008, 07:11
Easy. RYR wont invest any time or money. Itll be on your time and your money.
Oh and 2hrs in a sim that they own in that middle of the night and no one is using, that you will self position to etc etc...ad nauseum..but then again thats probably why they left isnt it?

As for the alleged 777 hardon types.I agree EG A possible scenario:
They left to join say emirates, left emirates because their garden wasnt as big as their neighbours or EK reduce the allowance for toilet Paper and now it was self wipe, or they found out that a few repetitive monkey see monkey do hours on an ng follwed by 6 months on a 777 didnt qualify them for an early upgrade and previous double Alghero 6 times a week wasnt considered experience or skill enhancing..I got a "3" but im chuck yaeger.... or whatever.
Bottom line they will leave ryr again and nothing has changed. There are fewer charter airlines to absorb them so it will be back to the desert again to QR or some other third world mob trying to be JAR ....and so it goes all their career. All lovingly disguised behind some lame excuse about quality of life when its really worldwide ego chasing with their sometimes family in tow.

From my experience ryr is a rough old place to work and kudos to those who have stuck with it for whatever motivation. As for the company hopping ,grass is greener left seat chasing bullsh1tters...**** em.:E.

I love being on the fence.:ok:

in my last airline
16th Dec 2008, 07:36
I don't really agree with you that ryr shouldn't rehire 777 hardon candidates. I think they will have matured from their experience and worked out that working for a pig in Europe is still better than living in the ME and 777s are just fools gold, just a plane. Therefore I would defintely rehire them as they would be the best advertisment against going 777 flying and I doubt they would make the same blunder again. Also they would have become seriously well rounded aviators by this time, don't you think?

CamelhAir
16th Dec 2008, 10:22
He now flies for a different company and ironically enough won't be facing the two weeks unpaid leave like his former colleagues are facing.

Careful now ASFKAP, you'll upset delicate souls such Slim Shady and other ryanair apologists who think unpaid leave doesn't exist!

Bolter152
16th Dec 2008, 10:31
Sorry to make a statement off topic again.

For those who continue to question the company Ryanair, I feel really sorry for you guys because you proved that you'll never understand the true beauty of doing real good bussiness.

There is no question that Ryanair made a verry sweet deal with Boeing. That's also the reason why they sell their oldest airframes these days: because of that sweet deal those airframes are probably written off in their balance sheet after 10 years or so (sorry for the language, I'm not a native English speaker). The price they get for those airframes is the rest-value + profit (again not sure of the right spelling), so it makes perfect sense to sell now instead of investing in them to go for another 10 years with Ryanair!

I read an interview with MOL a couple of weeks ago (sorry, don't have a link to a source but I'm sure I've read it somewhere), about the strategy of Ryanair. It comes down to the fact that they want to profit from the economical crisis by being thé alternative for those how prefer to save on airline tickets. And I want to bet that plenty of new candidate customers will turn up in 2009 to make use of that alternative.

If you just look at the balance sheets that you can find on the Ryanair website, than you're blind or can't read if you say that things don't look good for Ryanair. Oh yes, in the interview MOL hinted out that Ryanair really profit of the crisis. At the time that you had to pay 1,5 USD for 1 EUR, they went to the bank for a little 'exchange' :), how do you think they will pay the next 50 airframes? Correct! :ok:

I think too many people made aviation bussiness look verry difficult and for 'elite' only but hey, it's the simple genious that does the best bussiness. Not convinced yet? Have a look at Southwest Airlines in the US.

Cheers

Callsign Kilo
16th Dec 2008, 10:36
I believe the debate can probably be decided by 3 things. In reverse order.
3.) Your level of experience
2.) Whether your level of experience is in an area which Ryanair require you.
1.) Who you know that is very senior in the company and will therefore support your case.

I only konw a few guys that have returned to Ryanair, however they were experienced, previously long serving employees. Undoubtably they knew a few peeps who would ease their re-entry process. I know a number of not so experienced chaps who left because they believed the 'grass was greener.' It wasn't and FR told them to **** off.

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2008, 12:22
Camel

Can you stop whining? I doubt it but you could do us all a favour and try a different moan.

And while I remember, stop "inventing" statements to suit your assertions: I have not said that there is no unpaid leave or unpaid leave doesn't exist.

Farty Flaps
16th Dec 2008, 17:16
Pikeys and their pikey beatches.
Does anyone need any further explaination.
RYR and its type are to aviation what essex barrow boy traders and usesless whiz kids bankers are to the economy. Only the economy has given in first.
Anyone that can justify the detrimental effect this wideboy approach has had and will continue to have on the industry is obviously a product of the "pay as you go " policy and a disgrace.

The industry will reap what you are sowing. RYR will not last forever, but the surplus of kids (or desperados) with daddys or the banks cash and atpl will linger.
For the record , im a self abuser and have never paid for a rating , but what I did do was train within my means , not the banks and not my parents.
I have been out of work, redundant etc etc. The hocked to the eyeballs pilots at ryr have many parallels with the ex houseowners currently holding their heads in their hands. RYR will go as the world gets wise to smart arse business plans thatare just a con for the consumer.. Just hope youve squared away your debt before they do.
Praise the lord and pass the communion:E

wheelie my boeing
16th Dec 2008, 18:19
Allow, I do know of a certain well-known airline which pays for the type-rating of it's employees and it does NOT bond them. Perhaps some things are free :}

Bolter152
17th Dec 2008, 08:02
Farty Flaps,

Real grown up statement, thanks for that. It speaks for your mentality by smashing the Ryanair model and all those 'kiddos' who believe that they can fly airplanes as great as you do...

Wheelie my Boeing,

That is correct indeed, there are still plenty of airlines that do not bond you on a type rating. But on the other hand, positions in those airlines are hard to get because everybody wants to be in. Perhaps, you've proven yourself to get in such an airline, congrats on that. Not everybody has the same luck or specific skill. So I believe respect to those who are working for an airline where a bonding on a type rating is needed, would be appreciated.

It is even necesary that agressive low fare airlines exist today. Imagine that there were no low fare airlines today. Oh yes, everybody will fly BA, AF/KLM, LH, etc? I guess not. Then the airline industry would face a far more 'spiral dive' because a lot of people can not afford flying on these airlines in times like this! And I'm not even talking about how much higher tickets of such airlines would be if low fare airlines would not exist...

So, you start to understand? A company on its own, or beter said, a bussiness model on its own without having competitors is doomed to fail!

Oh yes FF, this statement is made by such a kiddo who wants to fly airplanes as good as you do. I am not there yet, or even won't get there either :). But I allready do know, that my experience in bussiness makes me a far better understander of todays economics. :ok:

Cheers

Farty Flaps
17th Dec 2008, 11:27
Bolster.
I never implied that i fly better. I did stae that I didnt buy my way into a comapny or train beyond my means.allude to the dire straits approaching this industry due to the pay as you go pilots.

Paying for your selection , trg and line flying. No conflict of interest there then.

Low cost is not a threat but low cost at any cost is. Tempting young men and women with early commands after a rapid rise through a financilaly based trg programme is nonsense.

Read the thread on the myt pay as you go pilot in rumours and while your there give those belgian chips (or is it fries) a day off. Your shoulders must be hurting.
The beast cometh and the number of the beast is RYR i mean 666.:E

wheelie my boeing
18th Dec 2008, 20:10
Allow, NOT entirely true.
SSP's join on reduced salaries and no they can't pay up front. DEP's do not take a paycut. SSP's start on approx £45k including allowances whereas DEP's start on £62k approx. SSP's have higher pay-rises each year for the first 4/5 years so that they can catch up with the DEP salary.
So... for DEP's, it IS free, not to mention that SSP's taking a pay cut is different to paying the airline money up front. I don't know of ANY FR pilots earning £45k in their first year AND they pay for their type rating first. Don't try and make it sound like there is ANY comparison between the two. There isn't. :8

Capt Ted Crilly
23rd Dec 2008, 13:10
this is not about pay,who earns more than who,its about former employees trying to rejoin ryr.

now those anybody know IF ryr are taking on guys who have left and want to rejoin,i know i do!!!

if anybody has anything sensible to say pls feel free to PM me ryr guys only,as any inside info would be appreciated.

i now fly a big bus and it certainly has not given me a hard on,if anything been stuck up there for 13hrs at a time it is more likely to make me impotent :}

thanks in advance

easymoney
23rd Dec 2008, 16:46
Ted,

Pilots have left in the past and returned.

Pilots have left, and will never get back in.

So it depends on how you left.

The only way to know for sure is to apply. Wish you the best of luck.

Capt Ted Crilly
24th Dec 2008, 16:30
hey 3bars i see you are from the same part of the world as me :ok: will you be down the same boozer as me tonight???

3bars
24th Dec 2008, 19:11
Have you not been reading the other PPrune posts Ted - there's a recession on man!!!:sad:

Will that stop me having a pint!!!:E

Capt Ted Crilly
24th Dec 2008, 19:14
3bars,

recession does sound alot like SESSION :ok: just my way off looking at it ;)

captplaystation
24th Dec 2008, 21:14
Witht that attitude I would say you are half way there in terms of getting back in, Cheers :ok: :D

Capt Ted Crilly
1st Jan 2009, 16:21
does anybody have any info or inside info as to what is going on inside the white house re; ex-employees trying to return from the not so greener grass which actually turned out to be a different shade of brown mud!!!!

any info is appreciated,but negative info will be disregarded :E

seasons greetings and all that

captplaystation
1st Jan 2009, 17:50
Wouldn't have thought there was any change of policy, they always seem quite prosaic in that respect. . . . if the face fits and all that.
If someone has been recently refused it is more likely that they just don't need new Capt's just at this moment. (or the guy is a total jerk :rolleyes:)
I think if someone was well regarded whilst there, worked the correct notice, & didn't p1ss someone off on the way out, the door would at least be ajar for a return visit.
I may of course be talking outa my hole, but certainly that's how it seems to have been in the past and hopefully the number of A/C due in the future should keep it that way. They don't care about being "precious" about things like that, if they can "use" ( & I emphasise that word) you ,they probably will.

Happy New Year, but you failed the second part of selection, you weren't too trashed to type. :D

Kirks gusset
1st Jan 2009, 18:07
Simple answer is NO. Not at the moment, if your an ex FR TRE/TRI and didn't leave on bad terms, when things pick up, possibly..Always worth updating the application..big question is why did you leave in the first place!
Happy new Year

No PM's thanks

Capt Ted Crilly
1st Jan 2009, 19:19
gday,

are you a man who is in the know?? if so did this come from one of the horses mouths??

i did leave on good terms(i hope) never late never sick and always obliged in 7 yrs,gave my 3 months and was unbonded when i left.

just wondering what the landscape is like at the moment and in the near future,with circa 50 737s coming in the next year there might be an opening for a ready made 737 capt???

i am an optimist kirk,and if you really do have an info regarding the subject matter i really would like so info,pls feel free to pm me if you like.

rgds from craggy island

only reason i left was i wanted to try longhaul,you cant compare apples and oranges unless you taste them.....they dont taste as nice as i thaught,and besides you cant get those sweet sweet apples from bulmers everywhere in the world you know :ok:

hawkwing
2nd Jan 2009, 09:03
Ted,
In the last month i know of three ex-RYR pliots who were denied to re-join,
But i also know one who has been allowed, he is somewhat like yourself, went to try long haul, but found the grass (or sand as it may be) not so green.
Hard to figure out the policy, seems to be what has been said before about being a good boy or not, also who is fighting your corner inside.
With 50 new 73's on the way in the next few months, (a figure i got from managment), and a lower amount of upgrades achieving command as hoped,
there should be openings soon,
good luck anyway what ever you do.

stansdead
2nd Jan 2009, 09:35
Ted,

Will you pay off your 3 year bond with Virgin before you leave us?

What you are experiencing is a very normal thing. It passes in time. Is it wearing 2 stripes and not 4 that bothers you?

Good luck with the move back to FR if that is what you want though.

captplaystation
2nd Jan 2009, 10:01
Bear in mind too, that if the door is opened, what is inside may well be only a Brookfield contract, and that is a slightly different ball-game.

EXEZY
2nd Jan 2009, 17:48
Don't do it Ted! Next time your in Hong Kong give us a bell.

Capt Ted Crilly
2nd Jan 2009, 19:26
gday stan,

you say leave US like we are part of some brotherhood,we are not,you say virgin like you got me pegged you do not,surely the bond is between me and my current employer,if i do even have one,i trust you got my pm????

there is no loyalty in this game anymore,the airlines see us as an expensive necessity not a worthy asset,there is only loyalty to ones self, i am sorry to say.

capt ps,

thanks for the info,i am all too aware of the t&cs and brookfield being the only way back in until i can hopefully get back onto a ryr contract!!!!!

exezy,

have had enough of HK,its like ground hog day here :ugh: cant be doing it anymore,cau pro ted'

stansdead
3rd Jan 2009, 07:07
Ted,

I read your PM. But I don't reply to them.

If you want to be truthful, you made it perfectly obvious that you work for Virgin Atlantic in your previous posts on this subject. You don't work for Cathay or BA. You work for Virgin. Or so you make it appear.

All I asked is if you plan to pay your bond before leaving us, not before leaving US. I never made it seem like a brotherhood. Only asked a question.

Anyhow, I offer you all the best if you want to go back to RYR. I hope it works for you. Sorry you are jumping ship early.

EXEZY
3rd Jan 2009, 07:57
Yep your right Dusk till Dawn is an absolute sh1te hole.

Capt Ted Crilly
3rd Jan 2009, 10:41
gday stan,

i re-read my previous posts on this subject and the only thing close to stating that i work for virgin is the fact i fly a big bus!!! surely there are other big bus operators in the world and even in lhr for that matter who fly 13 hour sectors on ze bus!!

ones bond with ones company is none off your buisness,would you not agree?

anyway,thanks for your best wishes,i wish you all the best in virgin......who knows i mightnt even get back into ryr and i might just be staying exactly where i am :ok:

each unto their own............

stansdead
3rd Jan 2009, 11:56
Ted,

Don't get tetchy about the bond. It is a fact that if you work for VS and leave inside 3 years, they WILL pursue the bond.

However, if you are made redundant they won't.

I know how you feel. I got into a real low point at VS around a year in. I couldn't stand it, but it seems it's a common thing to happen.

It does get better.

Anyhow, whatever happens, I hope it works out for you. BUT DO THINK CAREFULLY. The blues will disappear, the good times will come again.

And if you hate HKG, don't go there!!!!! I always get rid of mine without any hassle.

You could try more East Coasts too. Get a sector every time and only away 36 - 48 hours. It's all I ever do.... believe me.:ok:

Capt Ted Crilly
4th Jan 2009, 14:10
hey big boy,

have you worked in ryanair before???? :suspect:

if so when and where and for how long??

NightSun
7th Jan 2009, 10:37
I left Ryanair (I was a Captain on the 738) on good terms a few years ago, and at the time was told by my Base Captain, that if I ever wanted to come back that I would be quite welcome.
I have now tried the [email protected] link twice since November, but have had no reply.
I know of a few other 737 Captains who have never worked for Ryanair, who are being put through the selection process at the moment after emailing this number.
The Ryanair recruitment page has just been updated, and candidates are now being asked for a £50 deposit for any applications

captplaystation
7th Jan 2009, 12:46
They did it before for quite a number of years, and a nice ittle earner it was too ( I believe it's "inventor" is now doing very nicely out of the "Brookfield" idea . . . . yes DD doesn't miss a trick )
It was made even more lucrative by the number of wannabees who ignored the clearly stated entry requirements, and paid the fifty notes thinking that would get them an interview ( lambs to the slaughter)
They even had the audacity ( or was it a mistake :hmm: ) to charge me twice on my credit card, well at least I got the job. Still waiting for the refund that they advertised at that stage for sucessful applicants though. Is that still the case, or they just keep it ?

easymoney
7th Jan 2009, 13:20
Ok.....

The official policy at the moment is......former employees can not return.

From the horses mouth.

Stan Woolley
8th Jan 2009, 16:34
WidebodyWillie

Why can't you keep your sarcastic but more importantly ignorant comments out of it?

Lots of people including me actually prefer working for Ryanair! I wouldn't thank you for a widebody job - in fact I turned down a 747 command after resigning to come to Ryanair and don't regret it for a minute.

Capt Ted Crilly
8th Jan 2009, 17:30
hey ezy......

which horse said no one can return??????

pm me if you do not want to make it public knowledge.

cheers ted

widebody you a footking wankerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :ugh: and you still did not answer my question,did you have the opportunity to work for the ryans????

RYR-738-JOCKEY
8th Jan 2009, 19:15
Nightsun: They have changed their policy in regards to rehiring former employees. Maybe it's because they have enough applicants, I dunno, but I know of several who left just before it peaked and now have been made redundant, and they've told me that Ryanair will not rehire them.

Capt Ted Crilly
8th Jan 2009, 20:02
your comments are duly noted and have been filed under "B" bruscar.

now you have had your moment in the sun and unless you actually want to participate in this discussion in a constructive way pls stay and enlighten us further as to why you did not enjoy the ryans,i am hearing confession 24/7.otherwise BEZ DO PRDELE. :E

NOW crawl back into your cruise pilots seat and be a good little boy,we will call you when we need you.

any info re the actual subject at hand will be greatly appreciated guys,any one with any info pls pm me :ok:

CamelhAir
9th Jan 2009, 01:51
The horse may say something, but both the horse and what he says changes by the day.
If people are needed, they will be hired, if not they won't be. Right now, the only people needed are cadet willing (and stupid enough) to pay for a job that will involve little flying as the cutbacks continue. Aeroplanes are grounded, the next results will be disastrous. FR simply do not need more pilots as the cut backs in the flying programme accelerate.

NightSun
11th Jan 2009, 20:48
Thanks RYR 738 JOCKEY and Camelhair. I had come to much the same conclusion myself, and on speaking to a few RYR people who are close to the decision makers, that is what they have said too, although they say that as always in RYR there is nothing concrete in this.
We all know the company though, those of us who worked there for a while, and when it suits them then the policy will change, there will be no announcement, things will just change.
On a separate note willy, crilly et al, these are serious issues, prune was never intended as a chat forum, and many pilots who have important things to discuss and sort out just stay away from it because we have to dig through all the personal dross and point scoring.

TeHoroto
12th Jan 2009, 06:12
May I suggest to those that have left Ryanair but are eager to return to stick it out where they are, it will get better. The problem with many of us that got our commands with Ryanair is that they allowed us to believe that we knew what we were doing. Unfortunately we didn't, i've learnt more in the last 18 months than I did in my five+ years at Ryan.
Big fish small pond and all that.
Good luck which ever way you choose!:ugh:

frogone
12th Jan 2009, 10:10
TeHoroto, speak for yourself. So what have you learned that's so invaluable that you didn't pick up in your 5+ years in Ryanair?

IR

stansdead
12th Jan 2009, 12:18
Irish Rover

How about learning about worldwide ops outside of Europe? Or about the complexities of decision making in a long haul operation? Quite interesting in it's own way I think.

On another note: how about learning what a pension statement or company healthcare looks like.

Amongst other benfits of course.

frogone
12th Jan 2009, 13:38
Stansdead, I was actually getting at this:

"The problem with many of us that got our commands with Ryanair is that they allowed us to believe that we knew what we were doing"

Now anyone who got their command in Ryanair, and thus thought they know everything, should be removed from the left seat. Especially if they think they know everything about long haul ops, of which there's nada in Ryanair.

Do I personally know anything about long haul ops? No, nor do I claim to, and yes I'm sure it's interesting learning the ropes. Conversely, if a long haul pilot came to Ryanair, I'm sure he'd find it interesting too, and he might learn a thing or too as well.

Healthcare? I have my own.

Pensions, no I don't have one of those, nor will I bother with one. I had a close friend in the states work in an airline for 17 years, and then it went bust...started again from the bottom, eventually got his command (again) and then lost his pension as many did in the US.

But I certainly wouldn't get lulled into a false sense of security that I know it all once you gain your command, I've found that's when you’re most vulnerable.

IR

inveritas
12th Jan 2009, 13:46
Rather than read here I called Ryanair recruitment. No total ban on ex Ryanair employees rejoining. As a Ryanair pilot I was no longer permitted to recommend a person to join Ryanair. They also said they were very annoyed as a former Ryanair pilot who was due to restart in EMA today did not show for an OCC Course. Another ex FR pilot started a course today but both were hired last summer. They said they have a very large holding pool of rated Captains and Co-Pilots but no jobs currently being offered. I was told no one hired since last October.

Ryanaircabincrew
12th Jan 2009, 16:07
I spoke to someone in recruitment and heard a different story. Who did you speak to?

the grim repa
12th Jan 2009, 20:16
enough coo coo,caca.inveritas is p***r b****w(ryanair management).just have a look at the exact detail in his previous posts.nice guy but piss poor try.

Capt Ted Crilly
12th Jan 2009, 21:09
hey tehoroto,

i find your statement about learning more in your new job of 18 mths than you did in ryr to indicate two things.......

1) you didnt bother your arse to pick up a book and seek out the information required of you to fulfill your duties as a commander,i was a bit of a book worm as i have a genuine interest in making it my business to try and increase my levels of knowledge,you know how the old saying goes.....knowledge is power.

2) you need the spoon feeding of someone telling you what you need to know to increase your levels of knowledge,ie; lazy,someone else doing the work for you rather than seeking it out yourself.shame!!

stan i wouldnt be relying on a pension to retire on pal,i would try and etch out something else with my own money like property which is what i did with my earnings in ryr,the plan was 1 a year but with the current economic landscape it will be 1 every 2-3yrs,be the master of your own destiny?? what IF and its only a conditional statement VS folded and took all your pension with it,your healthcare would come in handy then from banging your head off the wall :ugh: this is not a dig at you or vs but dont rely on others too much!!

nightsun my mini tangent is now over,ok. but i assure you that i am serious about participating in this debate/discussion ET AL :8 and thats why i am seeking out as much info as possible from people within ryr so as i am armed with the knowledge of what is going on inside the white house.

inveritas,

sounds interesting fella i would love to know who you talked to as this is good info. pm if you want to i would appreciate it thanks :ok:

The Potter
13th Jan 2009, 04:59
Ladies & Gentlemen please, let's try to keep this topic on thread. :confused: I left FR three years ago. No, not because of a 'hardon' for a 777 (or in my case a 747) but because of the chance to further my career & if anything a 'hardon' for cash & what I thought would be a better lifestyle. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time so far, seen the world, lived in another country & got a great deal out of flying trans oceanic. I would look at returning to Ryanair when my current contract expires in 12 months, because when all is said & done there is a lot to be said for sleeping in your own bed at night!

I had just become a captain with FR when I left. I told them that I had been interviewed for my present position & that if I got the job I would leave them, however, Ryanair still put me on a command course. I believe they felt that once I had completed it I would stay put in STN. When I handed in my resignation to PB he wished me the best of luck, & said that I would be welcome back in the future should I want to return. Then the SH 1 T hit the fan at Dublin HQ: they started to demand bonding back for the command course etc. So here's my question...would I be able to get my job back with Ryanair or do they have long memories? I was honest with them & at first I left with their blessing. Admin got involved & spoiled what should have been an amicable parting.

As far as working for Ryanair, I found them to have a solid set of SOPs, the best I've come across, & if you did your job you got a stable roster & you were paid well twice a month. The flying was always fun & it was generally a good bunch of people to operate with, just getting on with things. So please, I don't need a lecture on the pitfalls of the company. Any useful information would be greatly appreciated. :ok:

inveritas
13th Jan 2009, 08:17
Thanks Grim for the promotion, But I am not FR management - just a bored pilot. If you work in Ryanair pick up the phone and simply ask someone what you want to know. There is a former FR CP on an OCC course this week. Repeat: I was told they are still not hiring but have a large holding pool

nuclear weapon
13th Jan 2009, 19:16
Any news on exactly when ryanair will start thier long haul services to the states?

stansdead
14th Jan 2009, 07:05
Ted

Virgin CANNOT take your pension even if it folds. At least not if you have protected like I have, by managing itself, via the self managing option and putting it in the GROUP PERSONAL PENSION. Once it reaches your account, it's yours and yours alone. It cannot be touched.

As for relying on it? No, you are right. Never rely on it. But it will be worth something. Especially if you are putting in more than the 6% minimum employee contribution (which I do - and receive extra contributions because of it).

Property - well that's not a one way bet either is it? I do read the papers you know!! And, like you, I do own more than one property. That is NOT the exclusive preserve of current, or EX Ryanair pilots!! So, I know just how much less they are worth than a year or two ago. And don't fool yourself into thinking that property prices will recover to anywhere near 2007 prices for at least a decade. That means that your real debt pile has increased in that time whilst your investments haven't even made an inflation level return.... and I'm in the same boat. Not good. And when you have to refinance them soon - it could be a nightmare. I just thank God I already redid ours last year before the banks stopped playing ball. At least I have 3 years grace now at decent rates.

As a last word on this subject - be careful - the guys on the line are talking about you returning to Ryanair - name included - it seems one of your Ryanair buddies is doing the chatting for you with his Skippers. You don't really need that, especially if it doesn't work out for you getting back in there.

Good luck in leaving and good luck with the houses.

EXEZY
18th Jan 2009, 22:00
Stansdead isnt the "Goodfella", I think you'll find. :ok: