View Full Version : Cat 2 Approach into Algiers

Cat 3
11th Dec 2008, 07:13
The weather in North Africa usually deteriorates this time of year particularly Algiers. Although Algiers does have a Cat 2 Approach for runway 23 the A.T.C. Controllers never mention the fact that Low Visibilty procedures are in force for the arrival. I know A.T.C. does say this to maintain separation between Aircraft and protect the ILS sensitive and critical areas. However at the time of our arrival we are the only Airline landing at this time and there is no traffic on ground or arriving at this time. Could we therefore continue and land within Cat 2 minima without ATC specifying that LVP procedures are in force ?:confused:

StressFree
11th Dec 2008, 07:21
In a word - NO. It is the responsibility of ATC to secure the ILS protected areas and maintain the integrity of the signal. If they are not in official low vis procedures then you can't be sure that it is safe to proceed below CAT 1 minimas.
Also I regularly fly into Algiers and wouldn't trust the ATC or approach aids to take me down to CAT2 limits. The classic clearance used to be ' cleared direct to the 'OA' for straight in', the OA was tuned to home into but nothing received, on asking ATC 'is the OA serviceable' the answer was always 'NO...' This happened very often but it was never in the NOTAMS.
This was before we all had GPS and moving map displays :sad:

Cat 3
13th Dec 2008, 04:50
Thank you stress free for the clarification and I agree with you ATC has to be responsible for keeping the sensitive areas of the ILS free. I have been wondering about this issue and we actually had an aircraft land into Algiers with Cat 2 weather :ugh:and I do know if you ask the controllers if LVP are in force they appear to be completely dumb founded. The logical think to do is ask if LVP are in force and if not divert to your alternate.