PDA

View Full Version : Xair F wing warp mystery

aviationdebrousse
10th Dec 2008, 15:11
An Xair F with two pob on a stabilized approach. The tochdown was hard. Due to the lack of communication between the pf and the pnf , after touchdown the throttle was set to full power and the aircraft veered off the runway surface. The throttle was finally moved to idle cut off position and the engine subsequently shut down.

the inspection showed no damage to undercarriage, no debris on the wing surface to indicate any strike of the wing surface.

A test flight was later conducted and it was noticed that the aircraft had a tendency to yaw towards the right once full throttle was opened.

On close inspection the right wing indicated a warp (downwards) from the wing root to the wing tip.

jst wondering how d warp occured?

Genghis the Engineer
12th Dec 2008, 09:28
Well, the wing strut is connected to the undercarriage leg, so the shock of a side-loading (possibly a pothole?) would be partially carried upwards through the strut. At the same time, if this was during the initial landing, the wing would be deflecting downwards through inertia loading.

When the X'Air and X'Air F were certified here in the UK, it was found that the struts flexed unacceptably during negative g loading, but I believe that the jury strut fitted in the UK to solve that was never fitted to the Indian model. So, you've got a relatively weak wing in downwards loading.

That would be my guess as to the reasons for your warped wing. I'd guess that you'll need to remove it, take the skin off, and replace the leading and trailing edge spars. Not a particularly nasty job, but an annoying one.

G

aviationdebrousse
15th Dec 2008, 12:03
Wing would be deflecting downwards through inertia loading

.I guess that's the reason for the warp. Just left me wondering though did the high rpm setting have anything to do with the structural damage. I know i must be way of the mark here but just couldn't help thinking if the sudden vibration of the engine set @ high rpm had anything to do with the warp?

aviationdebrousse
1st Jan 2009, 02:40
Just wanted to also inform that the aircraft in question was fitted with the jury strut before the accident. So can there be another reason for the damage?